The Psychology Of Money

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Befuddled, 11th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Came across this. A bit long and equities focused but very thought-provoking.

The Psychology of Money

Chill2205, Perthguy, HomePage and 7 others like this.
  2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

That was indeed a long read.

Befuddled likes this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

nice article :)

4. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

I particularly liked the pyramid diagram. Pains me to see alot of investors getting caught up in the minor details like taxes and fees without first developing a wealth mindset.

5. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

And I love this quote in part 11:

Singer Rihanna nearly went broke after overspending and sued her financial
    advisor. The advisor responded: “Was it really necessary to tell
    her that if you spend money on things, you will end up with the things
    and not the money?”

Soul, Sackie, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Befuddled likes this.
  7. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Most people I speak to about investing in everyday life jump straight into the "Security Selection" or "Asset Allocation" tiers of the pyramid:

Where should I buy?
    What should I buy?
    Should I sell?
    Shares are too risky
    Property prices always go up
    I just got a better paying job. I'm thinking of using all of my borrowing capacity to buy a PPOR

After that, there's usually an oversensitivity to fees (sometimes warranted), and minimal tax knowledge usually acquired second-hand with minimal research

Getting the cheapest accountant/conveyancing services
    Being sold products from "free" advisors when really its baked into the price
    Someone told me this

What I've observed is that the most important part, behavioural finance and investor behaviour, is generally not even in the vernacular of the dabbling investor. It's also the most difficult to shift. Can't change what you can't see.

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Your relationship with money is important
    And most importantly, the belief in yourself to create it

Jack Chen likes this.
  9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Most people don’t even know what money is. It is a means to get society to get up and go to work, that’s all. Not every system functions of money. Eg the Monguls didnt

10. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

For those that have so much of it and don't have to get up and go to work...it clearly means different things than what you have written above.

I tend to think it is a widely held medium of exchange accepted by the majority of society/the world.

People exchange goods/services/items of value/experiences for money and people with money exchange it for goods/services/items of value/experiences.

11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

That’s right too. But if you think about it the strength of a country comes from everyone getting up to work hard, innovate. Printing notes does nothing if there’s no goods to be exchaned right?

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Money has no psychology, its an inanimate object. What causes most people to not reach their full potential is the psychology (or rather, the poorly managed psychology) of humans. That's why so many people top in their fields (traders, athletes, entrepreneurs, astronauts, race car drivers, etc) pay a lot of attention to understanding and learning how to manipulate their own psychology to keep them in peak condition.

13. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Interesting read. I particularly liked these quotes:

When most people say they want to be a millionaire, what they really mean is “I want to spend a million dollars,” which is literally the opposite of being a millionaire.

A key use of wealth is using it to control your time and providing you with options. Financial assets on a balance sheet offer that. But they come at the direct expense of showing people how much wealth you have with material stuff.

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Completely agree. For 4 years I have watched many posters try to understand why markets boom and bust. They point to credit, interest rates, tax incentives etc, etc

What they forget is that every seller is a person and every buyer is a person. Understand what motivates them and you will understand the market.

Sackie likes this.