The power of great photography in advertising

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mel Morgan, 14th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

It is something unusual to claim private photos IP by photographer. Similarly, an actress posing a photo is her property not the photographer who took it. Actress can sue anyone other than her accepted circle to use her photo, I don’t think a photographer can claim though unless she exclusively agreed.

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Unless it's super top end stuff where there may be other factors at play, if a photographer is trying to say the photos you pay a few hundred for are a 'use once' or 'have a water mark' or something like that, time for a new photographer! :)

3. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

It would actually come down to what contract/agreement the actress and photographer has. It is not automatically the models. In Australia the copyright belongs to the photographer not the subject. Feel free to correct me if there is anything to the contrary but it is something I have researched for other matters. Not something I necessarily agree with but just they way it is.

4. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I do agree with you. However if people read the licence/contract that is provided with the photos they would find that it is actually very common.

5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Great initiative- Good on you Mel.

Mel Morgan likes this.
  6. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

We have never bothered with professional pics specifically for our rentals. Such a low vacancy rate here in Canberra that it has never been an issue. But we have made sure the photos that are used, are actually decent shots. It amazes me how bad some pics for other properties actually are. A lot of them would even make the cut for posting on my own social media, let alone an advert.

But it amazes me even more when I see properties for sale with very few, absolutely appalling pics. I will always get professional pic done for a sale. I understand sometimes there are limitations on the sellers in regards to getting pics to post online (for example DHA housing). But in most cases, I cannot see any obvious reason why they would use such bad shots.

We've been house hunting for a new PPOR, and there is one property in particular that has the dodgiest photo's. This isn't entry level housing either. The house has been on the market for ages, and I would suggest the photo's are a big part of that reason. My two year old could have taken better pictures on my phone. It makes you wonder if the owners are actually even wanting to sell at all.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Like anything the more effort the better the result.