The power of great photography in advertising

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mel Morgan, 14th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Thought I would share this interesting real life example...

48hrs ago I listed an apartment for rent in Alexandria (inner Sydney popular suburb) on realestate. Around the same time another property in Alexandria also popped up. Both properties were of the same ad type, and asking the same price. My property is a 2/1/1, theirs is 2/2/1.

However my property has had 262 views and the other property has had 69. I think it demonstrates the power of having professional photos. I always list my vacancies with professional photos and cover the cost of it so the owner's don't have to make the decision to pay extra.

Here's my ad: 19/18-20 Newton Street Alexandria NSW 2015 - Apartment for Rent #426730282 - realestate.com.au

Here's the other one: 14/2-14 Lawrence Street Alexandria NSW 2015 - Unit for Rent #426727966 - realestate.com.au

@Huss518 just reminded me of your thread and good pics are important :)

Gladys, Perthguy, KayTea and 9 others like this.
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Without proper photos, it's like don't even bother.

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Totally agree, especially in online world we live today!
    I do similar with all my IPs a small price to pay for long term running of this property business. Sometimes even when my property managers change and no longer have photos on file I make sure I always save them too for my record or as a back up for them.
    I cannot believe you actually do this at your own cost...sorry I have no IPs in your area but I am quite happy with my property managers.

Mel Morgan and Redwing like this.
  5. Mel Morgan

I'd rather minimise vacancy and have a happy long term owner, interestingly when my interstate property managers ask me to pay for photography for my own investments I hesitate even tho I know the advantages!
    I figure its only a one off cost for all future vacancies.

EN710 likes this.
  6. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

This needs to be a stickied post tbh.

7. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Roughly how much do photos cost?

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When we sold mum’s house, professional photos were part of the selling agent’s package.

We could not believe the difference a professional eye made. The photos were taken from angles we would never have thought of. I am sure the photos contributed to a quick sale at a top price.
    Marg

Dan Wood likes this.
  9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i was just charged $140 for a unit in Balmain (Syd)

Dan Wood and lixas4 like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Unlike sales campaigns, where we have always dressed the house, we've never hired furniture for photos for a rental. Early days, we just needed rent flowing, so didn't have the time to do this.

Now, we could hire furniture for a week I guess, organise photos. That would cost us for the furniture hire, photographer and one weeks' rent.

I'm curious to hear from property managers if organising professional photos with the house empty would be worth doing, and then having photoshopped furniture package done for future advertising for rent?

We had a house that we really didn't have good photos and when outgoing tenants allowed us to hold an open house, I asked if they'd mind if we got in a professional photographer as their furniture looked so good in the house.

The did agree, but I decided not to put them though that with a new baby. Instead, I asked them if they'd mind if I took photos myself and if they'd sign something allowing me to use the photos, which they did.

The photos still are not as good as professional sales photos, but are 100% on the photos we had for this particular house and look so much better than photos of empty rooms.

luckyone and Marg4000 like this.
  11. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Great post @Meristone to really highlight the difference. Pro photos are great bang for buck particularly when you divide the cost over a number of letting campaigns.

When you consider that at the point the potential tenant is viewing the listings they have already filtered beds, bathroom, parking, features, and price, it really does come down to "oh that looks nice" to get the click. The selection of the title photo is also important and often gets overlooked.

If you are buying an IP always try and get the sellers pro photos and the right to use them included (without watermark or branding). You get some excellent high quality photos, can advertise immediately, and rarely do people even blink at the request as the seller/sellers agent has no use for them once sold.

- Luke

luckyone and wylie like this.
  12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I don’t know why more people don’t include floor plans too

Michael Mitchell and Redwing like this.
  13. Mel Morgan

For rentals (about 4-8 shots) it usually costs around $100-$200. Floorplans are an extra $150-ish.

Thats an interesting one and I will do it sometimes and not other times. For this particular property it was unique in ways that were not going to show on the floorplan so I chose to omit it even though I had a floorplan available. I wanted to get people through the door so they could fall in love with the ambience, aspect and little touches like veggie garden, pet friendliness etc

14. Mel Morgan

I'm about to list a vacant property late next week in Marrickville and I think we will get photoshopped furniture in the main photo as for about $50 per photo its worth it in this scenario. Will let you know how it turns out!

lixas4, EN710, MWI and 1 other person like this.
  15. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

The one I use charge $100 for half a dozen pics via my Balmain NSW agency

lixas4 likes this.
  16. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I saw some of this virtual 3D furniture tech at last years property expo. Part of an augmented reality booth or something. Its mindblowing how realistic they look and definitely affordable for what the costs.

17. Mel Morgan

Quick update: 96 hrs after uploading the ad we'd had 10 groups through the property and 2 strong applications. So property is basically rented now, at $50pw more than another one in the same block 3 weeks ago. Ah the power of strategic advertising.

18. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I do like the idea of getting the photos however in my experience, Generally the photographer “owns” the photographs and it is their intellectual property so the seller/selling agent doesn't actually have the authority to provide any “rights” for them. The Photographers usually provides a limited license to the agent/manager to use the photos for a particular campaign and usually require further fees if they are to be used again. Know of some cases where an owner had changed agents and copied the photos of realestate.com.au and provided them to the new agent to use then they receive a invoice/copyright notice from the photographer.

19. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I think a smart landlord can still demand the photo without any ip issue. The owner of the house is landlord, the photographer cannot claim their their ip on someone photos. As long as the money is paid by the landlord the rights to be transferred. This is pretty common though... Any one can take the photo grapher to court unless agreed on any written docs.

20. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I understand it is common but that doesn't mean it is right/legal. It is a common misconception that because you pay the RE photographer they become your photos. Most don’t read the contract/terms and conditions as they pay through their agent. What your actually paying for is a limited license to use the photos for a particular purpose. They automatically retain the copyright.

Here is just one RE Photographer that has their terms and licensing available (I have no association, just found through google) .

Legal Terms & Conditions | Property Snaps