The pitfalls of commercial property

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Scott No Mates, 20th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

moyjos and Tyler Durden like this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I remember those days.
    Previously the super rules allowed you to push an unlimited amount of funds into super, pre-tax. Thus for those with uneven income streams you significantly reduce this years income - and delay/reduce income taxes.
    This rule was modifid effective June 2007 if my memory serves me correctly.

That year - just prior to June 30 - the banks couldnt process loans quickly enough. It was crazy. Financial advisers were advising to draw down as much as possible - push the funds into super investments with the 'plan' to repay the loans from future dividends.

By the end of 2008 - thanks to the GFC - many punters were sitting with 50% of their original investment while still paying 100% of their loan interest (or not). It was a mess.

Sounds like this couple was just one of many.

Blacky

3. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

What a long article - I don't even understand what the dispute is about. The only advice I take from this is:

- always read your loan docs carefully, and read them twice;
    - would you blindly trust a customer or supplier in business dealing? Nope. If not, why would you blindly trust a bank or financial advisor;
    - mortgage brokers (sorry guys), financial advisors and bank managers are at first instance there to make a living, there's obviously a place for them in society, but this isn't a charity;
    - don't stretch if you don't have to.

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Add if looks to good to true than it isn't.