The PChat score ... The king is dead , long live the king

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by See Change, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Hehe yes there is a Canberra thread and a few random threads here and there.

It probably doesn't rate highly in the Prop chat score, but definitely not bottom.

Actual stats have been quite positive, but unsure if that is a short term boost on the back of cashed up mr fluffy buyers or the start of something bigger.

2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Fairly sure, we will be buying in Hobart in April.

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Ooooo.....

There is a Canberra thread , and it has more posts than the Tassie thread .:eek:

I must get new reading glasses :cool: , not these sunnies ..:rolleyes:

Cliff

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Tas has been a quiet achiever these past 12 months. Whilst I'm not in a position to buy anywhere right now (waiting for my finance/lending situation to improve in amongst APRA changes), I would buy something modest, with good land content in inner Hobart, if I could.

WattleIdo and radson like this.
  5. radson

radson Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly

6. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

I am new to the forum -- I see this mentioned " Prop chat score" BUT WHERE is the score ?
    Can someone help

Bran and bob shovel like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This thread started in July 2015......

Since this time Sydney has started showing signs of falling back and more supply on the market.

Melbourne's in front has been for a while now... currently leading the pack for 2016 but been strong market since 2013.... seems its flying under the radar for whatever reason.
    Too much spruiking, and not enough attention to what is really happening..... oops...

MTR:)

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2016
    ellejay, Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Lol. Either you have to be on here long enough to figure out what the score is or you need someone else to reveal what the secret to you. Hint. It's better described as an "indicator" rarther than a "score".

I'd prefer it if you figured it out though. You might appreciate it more. "Why" do I hear you ask? Because you'll learn a lot more. It's the "Teach a man to fish" rule....

Also i'm not going to tell you directly where to buy, but if you piece together enough clues you'll figure out where is good to buy and where isn't. I will say don't buy in a one industry mining town though...

The answer is completely in the first post of the thread. You have to understand the poster and the post. So if you don't understand that, read more of See change's posts... even go back to the Somersoft forum. There's a wealth of information there too.

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2016
    Cia and samiam like this.
  9. See Change

Valid point re melb and it still may be the best performer this years BUT

I was interested in Melbourne , but then I realised it's been the BEST PERFORMING capital city over the last ten years …….:eek: and there's only one way go from there ….

Cliff

Perthguy likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Melb certainly has fallen back during this period, its not been 10 years of solid growth. I dont think that has happened anywhere in Australia, that is the problem with stats they only tell you part of the story. The fact it is a strong performer is comforting for me as I plan to continue playing in this market, I think it will be the safest in Australia, time will tell.

Lets revisit this thread at the end of the year see if Melb is still the winner

MTR

11. See Change

You're welcome to . I'm personally not that interested in the rest of this year , more so the next 3-5 years .

If you're already in in melbourne ( which I seem to recall you are ) , I'd be sitting back counting my money and watching it go up , but I think it's too late to be buying there ( certainly for me ) . Maybe thats why melbourne isn't being talked about as much as other places .

Cliff

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is what has happened, Sydney boomed, followed by Melbourne, historically Brisbane boom cycle follows Sydney/Melbourne however this did not happen, history did not repeat itself. Majority of people in the Brisbane market are investors from interstate, who have been waiting for the growth/boom cycle.

Melbourne has gone under the radar basically because investors expected Brisbane to boom 2 years ago. Now they are locked into this market. Perhaps this will be the year for Brisbane/QLD??

MTR

13. See Change

October 2016 update

Ok Sydney is close to the top . There maybe some more growth , but equally it could be peaking at the moment . Enter at your own risk .

Melbourne probably has some more growth , though is closer to the top than the bottom . May turn out to be the best performer this year .

Hobart has snuck up and is hot at the moment , with low vacancy rates ( under 1 % ) with the middle ring moving in the last 6 months . If I didn't already have property there I'd have bought there in last year .

Brisbane has been up the top of the pick list for a couple of years but has underperformed so far . Personally I think the continued strength of Sydney has caught peoples attention but with an increasing feeling that sydney is close to the top brisbane has picked up more in the last months . Main growth is closer to the city , though outer areas have started to wake up or move 5-10 %. Gold coast is starting to move following on from Brisbane .

Canberra has been a quiet mover and adelaide is also starting to wake up .

Darwin is falling as is perth ( along with high vacancies of around 5 % ) . Some people are talking about positioning themselves in perth at this stage , but , unless you know that market VERY WELL , IMHO , I wouldnt recommend it.

Smokey ? Queensland coastal towns are toast with high vacancies . too early in my opinion , though I do check them . Regional Victoria would be worthwhile watching , but don't follow my self , same for NSW. Personally we went for Launceston due to the high returns ( 8 % ) , but given no one else talks about it on the forum ... I can't really put it down as a Pchat score . Invermay and central suburbs .

Cliff

chindonly, skuzy, Stoffo and 4 others like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice post.
    There is a hype thread on Tassie. I believe inner city is moving

MTR:)

15. See Change

There are some threads on tassie, hype and Pre dating that one , and a few PM's floating in the Ether .

But volume wise , way down the list compared with other places . I'm only aware of a handful of forumites who are active down there .

Cliff

16. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I'm curious, with all the investor activity in Brisbane what do people see as the major economic drivers in the short to medium term?

Or are investors simply looking at the Sydney:Brisbane price differential and making decisions from that?

I know Melbourne has some very healthy population projections. Is anyone up to speed on ABS projections for Brisbane?

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My interpretation of the PC score is that IPs are not favorable, and Listed Investment Companies are the vehicle of choice.

18. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

The fact that there are no jobs allowing you to afford a 400k mortgage.

19. See Change

I've seen waterfront properties with jetties in the 600's .....

There are jobs in tassie . Centrelink needs lots of people down there ...

Cliff

D.T. likes this.
  20. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Just waiting for the Brisbane surge, Cliff.
    Then we can all draw on our increased equity, and start following you around the country.
    A PC herd, perhaps? Self-fulfilling prophecy.