the parkes project

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by WattleIdo, 24th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks @vtt my mind is definitely made up. I know what you mean about the dark-brown / black look - painted an old trunk with it a couple of years ago. Love it.
    That's why I Do think it's Japan, though. First coat is lovely dark-brown, 2nd coat black. It was definitely used around that time:
    Wiki - The development of quick-drying nitrocellulose lacquers (pyroxylins) which could be colored to suit the needs of the buying public in the 1920s led to the disuse of japan black by the end of the 1920s. In 1924, General Motors introduced "True Blue" Duco (a product of DuPont) nitrocellulose lacquer on its 1925 model Oakland automobile marque products.
    Anyway, thanks for all the detail. I think it's worth getting a pro but now I can front up with some idea of what to expect. Exciting. :)
    Have a few chairs with similar legs to your desk but not as old. Because of the cut, the colour got into the timber and stayed there. Looks great too.

vtt likes this.
  2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

So exciting!! Please post more pics as you go along. You have such a beautiful home there it's going to be a stunning result. The Black Japan with white walls will look incredible.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have a similar hall stand which is Georgian. Apparently, George the joiner made it a few years ago. :p

WattleIdo and vtt like this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Have been granted a few precious days off work so finally get to make myself sick with dust and paint related chemicals again over the next week. First job is to get the casement windows finished inside and out.
    Had the termite guys come around last week. The termites have had a lovely summer eating the old timber rail fence but it's all over now. I decided to get them baited which costs $1500 plus gst. Fortunately, because the floors and house frame are cypress, the termites have avoided them. When they did get in, they had a chomp on the cheap timber used to hold down the carpet and a bit of a munch of the skirting boards in one room but didn't go elsewhere. Relief.
    The garage has a cypress frame too so will leave it there when the asbetos gets taken away further down the track.
    Concrete path on side of house to be jack-hammered up and pipes put in for runoff as well as new loo which is in process of being moved from one room to another. Will have a bath with no loo at the head yay. The plan is to put in a shower but not sure if it's going to be too cramped and look crowded. Should put a photo up and ask for opinions.

Here we go, excuse the mess. This shows where the bath is and you can see the hole in the wall which was for the late toilet. The shower would have to fit in there. It's 90cm across so would fit but how would it look? It will jut out and also create a wall behind the bath. Thoughts? (The little room next door will be for the new toilet and will need to be connected to the pipes outside.)
    20160228_143939.jpg

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

20160804_120736.jpg 20160804_120705.jpg 20160804_120752.jpg God, what a difference a couple of sunny days makes!
    Was thinking of getting rid of this almond tree because it's so close to the fence and makes a mess dropping almonds everywhere. But it's putting up a good argument for its survival this week. Early blosssoms and pretty - make me feel good.

In this cold weather, its difficult to paint too much or make a mess with sanding in the area where we want to enjoy the sunshine so undercoating the old doors out in the sunny yard for now.
    20160803_132917.jpg

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2016
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Just a few updates because it seems so long since I've posted.
    Got floors done and moved in all at the same time. Not really sure whether or not the floor guy did the second coat - was too stressed and busy at the time to follow it up. Am trying to call him now but not sure what I can do from here. Tried to go with Black Japan but wasn't something he would do. Anyway, they're better than before.
    20160804_124930.jpg

Problem wall which I covered in fabric softener :rolleyes: - I ended up removing the plaster/ render and had it re-rendered. And yes, you can paint a fireplace. I used a paint designed to cover up smoke smells. Was dulux I think - might've been white knight - can't remember.
    20160804_124810.jpg 20160804_124744.jpg
    Still a long way to go. Well, I have plenty of time now. :)
    20160804_124653.jpg

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

This door is driving me spare! Trying not to spludge paint everywhere. I've tried medium straight bristles, micro worn bristles, a ruler (made it worse) a small brush but the wrong shape *sigh*. Time to surrender - go buy a new small edging brush and some tape.
    Looks good from a distance though.

20161228_101335.jpg 20161228_101413.jpg 20161228_101430.jpg
    And a couple of 'before' shots for good measure.

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG, you are brave, this brings back bad memories for me.

Great work anyway, just read the thread from the beginning.

How long do you think the project will take to complete. Our first project took 10 years....stop/start/stop/start...LOL

MTR:)

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The more time ticks by, the more I see that it's going to take forever. So this will be my retirement home - or one of them. I've actually done less since I've been living here.
    Am moving for work soon but at least I'll have an income which will give me confidence to spend on the vital basics such as air conditioning :mad:, bathroom, shed, fence, etc. :)

MTR likes this.
  10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Totally admire your work @WattleIdo The progress you've made is fantastic. Are you going anywhere nice for work?

jim1964, WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks @ellejay, I hope I can post a few 'after' photos before too long:p .
    Moving to Wagga Wagga for work. Not sure how long - at least a year. Only 3 and a half hours away. Sounds a lot when you're in the city but not so far in the country. Funny that!

ellejay likes this.
  12. ellejay

Ah! I've been up and down that Hume Highway a few times. Wagga seems like a great little city and very pretty surrounds. Lots of new people to meet and new places to explore! From reading your posts no doubt you'll find some money making investment opportunity to jump in to :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Are you going to rent this one out ? what do they say it will get rent wise if you do not mind sharing ?

I prefer my projects to be short, less than a day is ideal :)

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Not ready for renting yet. Winter was cold, then there was a hell of a lot of rain, plus I was exhausted after my last job and needed to do a major declutter, which I did. Not much done on the house since the floor, just some painting. I would at least need to do the bathroom before renting it out.
    It was getting $230/week before I moved in. I would expect at least that after the painting, floors, etc. Maybe a lot more, I don't know. Because stupid me, I've gone and fallen in love with the house and don't even want to rent it out anymore. Don't even want to leave Parkes. I love waking up here every morning. I feel so good here.

15. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I went through a period of this,torn between home and work, nowadays i have turned into a hermit, never leave the property.

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Heaven.
    Is that your property in your avatar?
    I am asking myself every day whether I really need to leave. But it will be refreshing to have a well paid and interesting job again. Just a bit young to retire. I will not be worried if the job only lasts a year, though.

ellejay and jim1964 like this.
  17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Yep,This was the name of my grandparents home in Larbert Scotland,they brought the tradition on emigrating to Adelaide Australia,Dad named his house Glencairn2 in the 1970,s.I have recently resurrected the tradition.

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I went for a drive to Dubbo last year,I thought Parkes was a really nice place,compared to Wagga.....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

:confused:

20. ellejay

That's the attitude to have. Go with an open mind, no pressure. Take from the experience what you can. Parkes and your house will be waiting but you'll have even more money to enjoy them.

WattleIdo likes this.