the parkes project

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by WattleIdo, 24th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I agree with @bob shovel . I think liquid nails might be better for this than wood glue @rhinsor.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I haven't read all the info yet but screws would be good when do it. If you leave them in is up to you, putty over them, or remove and putty.
    Liquid nails is strong stuff, remember the ad of the guy rock climbing on blocks of timber? Ads never lie! o_O

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

LOL....how could we forget..... Elvis baby ! You should be able to get a newspaper clipping :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

PSC_PEF_Cover_FINAL_WEB.jpeg
    bingo!
    20160109_220755.jpg

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2016
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

20160111_124941.jpg
    The three week break is now over. The interior looking a lot whiter in some places. Still a lot to do. Such a slow-coach. Several ceilings need doing so that I can return the scaffold asap. As much as I dislike doing them, they have to be my top priority atm. Should get more interesting from there.

D.T., Tim86 and bob shovel like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Did you manage to get some cheap British paints stain blocker and prep from Bunnings?

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes. :) As much as I could get my hands on. Mostly sold out. The above was done with the prep coat for dark colours and the top coat is an exterior paint mixed with a touch of cream.

Westminster likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Jan, 2016
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

yeah it's nice, isn't it. haven't seen any yet. might see if I can.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OK, back to the Parkes project.
    Have got rid of most of the glue/paint by leaving fabric softener on it for about a week and then saturating it in detergent and water and scraping for 2 full days. Just about ready for some putty and paint.
    20160118_174200.jpg
    Picture rails up today too - thanks to handyman - thanks @dabbler .

bob shovel and jim1964 like this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have been patiently been waiting for you to take control Wattle

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

What are you doing with that hole in the wall on the left? Is a fireplace going in there??

What are you going to do with the doors, will you strip them back to natural or keep them painted?

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'll get the fireplaces closed off properly, probably put back the old mantle. The doors will be stripped, repaired and repainted in white oil. :)

15. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing that!!! Those doors will come up beautifully :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Progess is slow but steady. Today I mowed the lawn, polished brass, pulled up carpet and took it to the tip.
    Since last post fireplaces have been closed off and picture rails are back up ala Rob the handyman. I've taken the plaster off the fireplace wall to expose the brick since it was coming off anyway. Some of the plaster on the adjacent wall too. Not sure where I'm going with this yet.
    A neighbour has also dropped in and told me that our 2 houses were built by the same man; mine before hers. She knows her house was built in 1917 so that confirms the guess that my house was built in 1916.
    @Scott No Mates suggested using Black Japan on trims but I decided to go with white. I am considering using BJ on the floors, though. Especially as they already seem to have edgings done in either varnish or Black Japan. The darkest places are black so I think it is BJ. What do you say?

20160213_154818.jpg
    20160213_154904.jpg

jim1964 likes this.
  17. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Need more pics!! What a beautiful floor!
    I very much doubt that the stain would be Japan Black. I suspect that it is more likely to be something like mahogany that has darkened over time to become a very dark brown/black.

I have stained the floors in my 1880s terrace with Japan Black and painted walls and skirts in white (Dulux lexicon quarter strength) - it is stunning. Attached is a pic (actually a pic of the restored desk but you can see the floor).

Unless you have a white fluffy dog or cat the black floors are amazing.

Attached Files:

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@vtt - you can't but love that floor.

vtt likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

O mi gosh! That is just outstanding. Is that 2 coats? And did you put something on top? Did you do it yourself? The restored desk tells the story, I guess.
    Looks like the same skirting boards too. Did you need to take any off and refit or resecure them? Did you take them off to do the floor and then put them back on?

vtt likes this.
  20. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

It is 2 coats of Japan Black on Blackbutt floorboards (put in by previous owner) which were quite light in colour. They were done professionally and the professional sanded the boards back, applied the Japan Black and let it soak into the boards for two days (rather than rubbing off the excess), then after 2 days rubbed off any stain that had not soaked in and repeated process. After 4 days he applied a satin finish (I didn't want gloss). Whole process took 5 days. Overall it is black black but there are some areas where it looks really dark brown-black, I like that though as it doesn't look "painted".

You can see the desk which is from the 1890s, it is hoop pine (desk is originally from QLD) and in around 1950s-1960s (way before my time :)) was stained mahogany. The legs are also really dark - they look like Japan Black but are just the mahogany darkened with age. This is why I think it's likely your floors have had something similar.

WattleIdo and Chrispy like this.