The one(girl) that got away!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

despite some of my comments I make, I do have a heart and feelings,

do any of you have any "the one that got away" type stories, can be male or female

let me start
    a couple of years ago I met a girl from a different country while overseas and fell instantly in love with her, I was in my early 30s, she was a few years younger, had a 1 year old from a previous marriage.

my friends thought I was nuts! single mother, foreign country, etc. etc.

and no I wasnt one of those sex tourists or old geezers offering visas to some young hottie overseas who only saw me as a visa supplier.

I proceeded to visit her 6 times per year, for periods of 2 weeks, she was stubborn, classy, gorgeous, educated, and was smart.

oh boy did she have a temper, especially when she was drunk. and got very emotional at times. she never asked me for money, I even offered to take her back to my country, but she didnt want to come. when we went out she'd often pay for me, financially she was pretty secure (thats the vibe I got, I never asked). From the time we met, we just hit it off, there was an instant connection! its hard to describe it, yes physical played a big part of it but it was more than that

she said she had no interest in having another relationship as her child was her number one priority until she met me!

I catch up with her every now again as friends, and you can tell she still is absolutely crazy about me, however her common sense prevails and says "this isnt going to work"

admittedly, there is a lot about eachother that we dont know despite knowing eachtoher for years,

but regardless of all that, i even considered moving to her country to be with her,

If I suddenly became single tomorrow, who knows what Id do!

Thats how much she meant to me!!

2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

In our life, there is always that one person that made our heart speed up and we can't stop thinking about them.

For me personally, I think I am content with life with my academic achievements, profession, mentors and friends. Of course, I may be biased but I think I have the best parents that always provided me 100% in everything I do and also I was exempt from doing 18 months compulsory army service (Aust citizen). I think the only failure in my life is relationships and the recent break down of a relationship for me made me think more of it but at least I can walk away knowing I gave her my best and I was true and faithful to her, unlike most other guys in long term relationships.

3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope, it's only happened once and I married her.

Propagate, EN710, ellejay and 6 others like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.

ellejay and MTR like this.
  5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

If you are thinking like that you may as well ditch your current squeeze and just go for it.

Plutus, TMNT, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

At 18 I dated a girl for a few months, a summer romance. She was a year older and just starting Uni (I was year 12). There was a lot going on in her life and I got the distinct feeling a lot was going on for her whereas my focus was soley on getting year 12 done. I had real feelings for her, but felt hers weren't as strong so I ended it before I got too hurt and too distracted.

At 23 years old I fell for a 17 year old. Nothing got serious and I stopped it because I felt that the age gap at that time was simply too much. I wish we both had been a few years older.

I've dated a modest amount, had real feelings for several of them. Most I know that I'd never have been able to spend my life with, but those two I was left questions.

At 25 I met a young lady and she seemed to embody the best qualities of all of them, we married 3 years later. Our 16th anniversary is in a fortnight. I don't think that I could really fall for anyone else, she's a very hard act to follow.

The one that gets away is the one you'll always remember, but that doesn't make them better than the one you're with.

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2016
    Bentley, Propagate, TMNT and 4 others like this.
  7. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

That's gonna be a nightmare

S.T, Waldo, sanj and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

In my teens I dated someone for a couple of years who was 3 years older than me and also lived about 2 hours away. When he finished high school he told me he wanted to do his mission for 12 months as he was Mormon and we decided to take a break for that 12 month period.

I didn't hear anything for a little bit which I didn't expect to (nor did I try contacting him) as he told me that while he was on his mission he wasn't allowed contact with anyone. Then out of the blue one day I get a call from his Dad telling me that his son had been involved in a motorbike accident just before he was due to go on his mission. He had been in coma as a result of the accident but not long after his parents made the decision to turn off his life support. They realised they didn't have my contact details but a few months after the accident it occurred to his Dad that my phone number would be in their old phone bills and found my number that way and called me to break the news to me. I still remember that day clear as anything. Such a waste of a young life with so much promise.

Not so much 'the one that got away' but my 'what if' in life.

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

:(

10. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Don't worry mate, still time for her to get away ;)

11. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Does your wife read PC mate?

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It was the long hot summer of 2004.

Me and a few mates were in Minchinbury McDonald's carpark eating away.

She and her girlfriend pulled up next to us. I remember her long legs stepping out of the passenger side of a late 90's merc.

I yelled out "where, have you been all my life, love?".

She walked up to me, grabbed my soft drink and drank it down.

"I'm too high maintenance for you" were her parting words as she walked into maccas and was greeted by some stud who gave her a peck on the cheek.

Totally heart broken I was.

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2016
  13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha. No. Wasted effort huh.

Jamie_ likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You too:)

15. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

only happened once, she left and married someone else, which didnt last, got back in contact...then she found someone else again. Put me off falling for someone ever again, that was 20 years ago.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The chap I was dating for a short time before meeting hubby was (in my eyes) fairly gorgeous, suave, but I knew he was a rat and I also knew I just had to get over him and it was one sided. He broke my heart but that happens.

A few months later I was with friends and met hubby and told my mother that night "I'm going to marry him".

I bumped into the rat recently and he looks like Homer Simpson now. Looks aren't everything, but once a rat, always a rat. Lucky escape.

Perthguy, WattleIdo and Bran like this.
  17. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Interesting case of small world here. Just had a PM discussion with Kinnon about this, as her story sounded very familiar and it turns I used to live in a property owned by the father of the boy in this story.

At that time I had just moved to Brisbane from Adelaide, and was living in share accommodation renting a property on the Southside of Brisbane. I think his father took a liking to me, because I had a similar interests in motorbikes we went on lots of rides and he would often talk about his son who had passed away.

Because I didn't know anyone in Brisbane he introduced me to a circle of his son's high school friends, one of those girls I ended up marrying and we have been together for 8 years and have two children together. Strange the way things happen sometimes...

Plutus, Sackie, Biz and 6 others like this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Given it is Michinbury ...did she look like this?

Rebel Wilson Grimsby - Google Search

19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

C'mon mate...... spill the beans.....

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia