NSW The Next Byron Bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Lacrim, 7th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nikki

Nikki Active Member

What about Runaway Bay area? Is it prone to flooding? Are there midges there?

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I live there, can confirm midgies are there
    Flooding happened in certain parts near runaway bay (Hollywell, coombabah) last year

Why not Hope Island/Sanctuary Cove?

Nikki likes this.
  3. Nikki

Nikki Active Member

Thank you very much, would consider Sanctuary Cove, is it less midges there? No floods as well? I've heard about Hope island that this is flooded area but it is better to ask local gurus

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'd just try and get as close to the ocean as possible in your area of choice and not toy with canal front/waterfront if midges are/can be an issue.

EK01 and Nikki like this.
  5. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Clear Island is brackish and more biased to the fresh side than salt. They are man made waterways with loch systems. When it rains heavy, they get less salty. I think the reason it has less midges though is that there is no sand. Rock walls and concrete make up the revetment wall retaining land.

@Nikki you will find these are pretty much everywhere. Don't go out toward the waterway when sand is most exposed and at dawn or dusk. That's when they are most prevalent. Tends to be worse with moon phase changes full/new moon and king tide activity. Everywhere can be flood prone given the right conditions. Worst months up on GC are Jan/Feb especially the monster king tides. Our pontoon walk way has jackknifed a few times since we moved up here. Part of the excitement. I can't confirm if Sanctuary Cove or Hope Island is free of midges or not, but there are plenty of mozzies. Pretty much need to use common sense about timing, clothing and repellent. Your funds of 1.5M to 2M will go a fair way on both Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

https://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/documents/bf/midges_brochure.pdf

Bender12, EK01, Lindsay_W and 2 others like this.
  6. Nikki

Nikki Active Member

Thanks a lot, really useful! Do you know if man made islands like Sovereign Islands (beyond my budget though) or man made canal based Raby Bay will have midges or mozzies?

7. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Probably wouldn't be any different at Raby Bay. Definitely mozzies at Sov Islands. As you state your budget won't reach there anyway.

We've been up here for a decade. ex-Melbourne. I suggest you pick the areas you wish to live and deal with the insect issue, which isn't such a great deal. I've provided some hints in that earlier post. At present you've covered all of SEQ from Mooloolaba to the Gold Coast.

Get clear on where you wish to live, that suits your pockets and your lifestyle. If you want beaches as well as waterways, then Sanctuary Cove and the like won't suit. I personally love the ocean so walking distance to the coastal beaches was a must as well as being on a wide waterway, not a narrow man made canal.

There were also flies and mosquitoes in Melbourne too, from memory. :)

Nikki likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think I have located a great sea side location where surrounding areas are higher.
    Let me get in before I share, I can say its Victoria;) happy hunting

Nikki likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Franko?

Nikki likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

no not for me. But I believe it is booming

The Demographics???? Reminds me of Mandurah WA......its a no for me

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2021
  12. Nikki

Nikki Active Member

C'mon, no midges in Melbourne Metro area, just some mozzies over summer (if there is summer in Melbourne this year) :)
    Thanks a lot for all suggestions, need to create my short list of places with short list of requirements:
    - waterfront with pontoon, boat, access to ocean
    - fishing from the backyard! - (otherwise my husband would never move up!!)
    - midges are terrible, would try to avoid it, may live with mozzies

Plan is to take 4 weeks leave next summer and drive up, visiting spots from GC to Noosa, live a couple of days in various locations, try to experience hot, humidity, midges, mozzies on dawn and dusk to make informative decision :)

Lindsay_W, Michaela Baker and Player like this.
  13. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

No midges on Tamborine Mountain!! Mozzies mostly get blown away in the breeze. Flyscreens are optional.

Nikki and Lindsay_W like this.
  14. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

ahaha - no midgies but plenty mozzie's up there, and leeches and huntsman spiders as big as your head, all kinds of other bugs, snakes etc certainly wouldn't have lived there without fly screens

Nikki likes this.
  15. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I'll bite.

How about...
    • Somers
    • Barwon Heads
    • Rosebud
    All random guesses.

16. Nikki

Nikki Active Member

Agree :) Still remember a lot of leeches through the mesh of my sneakers on Tamborine Mountain :). Huntsmans are scary but not biting you. Plenty of huntsmans in Melbourne too, not as big as your head though, close to saucer size :)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Spiders eat flies!!

Lindsay_W likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love Barwon Heads...... its already too expensive and always low inventory.
    Also comes back to location, proximity to water. If its too far from water, its not going to do it
    No, not this area..... but lots of potential

Rosebud does not have the right vibe for me..... it will always be the burbs...... just my opinion. No offense intended

Dont know Somers. I will check this out

Blairgowrie is not the area I am thinking of, but its Definately one of those.... wow... beach areas with the right combination.

Its already taken off, and much cheaper than Sorrento.

Good guesses, my price point is higher than Rosebud but lower than Blairgowrie. :)

19. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Rye :)

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No
    I think another area that does not have the right feel for it to be the next Byron Bay??

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.