Entertainment & Music The new block 2017

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 29th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Looked like a black septic tank.
    The spa wasnt much better - Why not a black one ??

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Josh and Elise - Clear winner for me. The pool was attractive and functional.

Ronnie and Georgia - Runner up for me. I don't like their pool but it was better than nothing and better than the spa.

Sticks and Wombat - I rated them third because although the shipping container pool is a good idea, the aesthetic didn't appeal to me. I also did not understand or like the bus stop.

Jason and Sarah | Clint and Hannah - tie for last. Jason and Sarah because it didn't feel like the yard of a $3m house and Clint and Hannah for that 90's spa. Tacky.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

... and I reckon that spa would have been tacky in the 90s too... :)

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That spa was horrendous. What were they thinking? And white?!

I liked Ronnie and Georgia's pool.

I also didn't like Sticks and Wombat's yard, I just don't really like their style on the whole. J&E were the standouts this week.

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

But surprised R&G didn't think to have any outdoor dining area. Really dont get how they could forget that.

6. Perthguy

All the stress of being gouged nearly $35k in access "fees" and being treated like crap by basically everyone on the block?

Sackie likes this.
  7. wylie

I think Jason's behaviour has been totally disgusting regarding the gouging. Sarah is less obvious but she is nearly as bad.

I sort of understand Clint and Hannah wanting to ask for the same deal because they have run out of money, but they aren't as obviously enjoying screwing Ronnie and Georgia over.

Ronnie and Georgia have hardly been backward in making it very clear they are in it to win though, and they had $45k extra (I think) in their safe, and have won a fair bit, so they clearly could afford to pay the bribes. Ronnie is almost as hard to take as Jason and he started the whole thing anyway, so he can hardly whine about his own game being turned back on him.

It is a delight to watch Houses 4 and 5 interact, even though I see a side of Josh that isn't pretty at times.

vbplease and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's what i figured too..

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sarah and clint are snakes. Jason is a *****.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. wylie

Our son and partner auditioned. I'm glad they didn't make it. I'd love for them to win a big pot of money, but the stress isn't worth any pot of money in my opinion.

vbplease and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The main problem is that contestants have no say in how they are portrayed. There are hundreds of hours of footage so the director can pick and choose which three-five minutes they show. I suspect every contestant throws a tantrum every now and then or has a bit of a melt down. Not all make it to the TV screen.

You rarely saw a bad photo of Princess Di. You rarely saw a good photo of Sarah Ferguson. Media bias.
    Marg

vbplease, mcarthur and wylie like this.
  12. Perthguy

I would be more worried about damage to reputation.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  13. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Yep. Can you imagine how many people are going to employ Jason as their plumber after this?!

skater and vbplease like this.
  14. wylie

Seeing their list of well over 100 defects, I fail to see how they can get them done.

Who would want to buy the houses that have been rushed like this, knowing the issues are hidden beneath just another layer of paint?

The silly timelines are a huge annoyance for me watching this show.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't employ Jason even if he paid me money to work on my job.

skater likes this.
  16. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

In the past, I thought the producers employed professionals (!) to come in after the show but before auction to make the crud right. I wouldn't have thought the premium purchase price the show needs to keep going would continue unless the buyers were sure that everything was a) done to standard, and b) actually done well - the two are different :D.

But I find it hard to see how some of the "defects" can now be fixed given they're under layers of paint or even tiles. The promo showed the waterproofing in one bathroom(Jason/Sarah?) was stuffed. Surely that's a full pull-up-all-the-tiles job to be sure for a multi million property! Flippers may get away with it, but not on prime time with a cast and crew filming every crotch scratch :eek:.

Perthguy, wylie and S.T like this.
  17. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think it needs more buttons, and speakers, and jets, and valves?

qak, hobo, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

He is a joke, and an embarrassment. To think that he's a plumber, and all the plumbing defects are in HIS house. Even his wife said something along the lines of "OMG, you're a plumber, just fix it". He should have his license taken away from him.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Yeh they have been working on the properties for the last few months to get them up to scratch after filming finishes, this is generally what they do - it just doesn't make good TV if they tell you that!

mcarthur and wylie like this.
  20. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We walked past the Whistler Street apartment block at Manly in Sydney which was renovated in a series of The Block.

It had been rendered externally as part of the Reno. We were there about two years later and big chunks of the render had fallen off!
    Marg

Perthguy likes this.