Entertainment & Music The Musician's Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by The Y-man, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The answer to that is " do you have enough shoes ...."

Cliff

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
    Gibson and The Y-man like this.
  2. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Smooth and sweet Cliff. Great work. Do you sing well? I thought that was your voice until I read the singers name underneath. (-:
    I wrote quite a number of songs over the years but only ever recorded one in a home studio. Tried out a trial version of Samplitude recently which was pretty cool but couldn't convert the tracks into a complete song. Would have been nice to have someone show me around the program for some tips but it was fun having a play around with my guitar and some harmonies.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Dammit!! I have more shoes than her..... :eek::oops:

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

5. The Y-man

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

A 7 string is a good option for a special occasion. Plus easier to get approval - it's not another guitar, they're 6 strings, THIS is a 7 string ;)

Gibson likes this.
  7. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

I like it!!

8. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

9. The Y-man

Gibson likes this.
  10. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

How did I not see this thread before now!?

Here's my guitars...

[​IMG]

2002 Gibson LP Studio with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover bridge and Phat Cat P90 neck.
    2006 Fender USA 60th Anniversary Highway 1 Strat with Lace sensor gold pickups with split wiring on the middle knob (push/pull) and deluxe locking tuners.
    2011 Fender USA Standard 60th Anniversary Tele with Di Marzio Area T pickups and deluxe locking tuners.
    1996 Epiphone LP Custom with Seymour Duncan hot rod kit (Jeff Beck bridge, Jazz neck) coil split wiring on both volume pots (push/pull again).

I use a Mesa Boogie Son of Boogie amp and a Boss GT-8 effects deck. I used to have a large collection of Boss and other stompboxes and got tired of all the mucking about to wire them up. The GT-8 is much easier... once you figure out how to use it.

In case anyone's wondering why I have 2 "60th anniversary" models made in different years, 2006 was the 60th anniversary of Leo Fender's company and 2011 marked 60 years since the Fender Broadcaster was released.

I've also got a tenor banjo that belonged to my grandfather that dates back to circa 1930 but I haven't been able to find anyone who could specifically identify its maker. It still plays just fine, except that I can't play it properly as I play it like a guitar.

The Y-man, Gibson and Propagate like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Geeze, decent collection, bit of $$$ in that lot.
    Just need a nice Ibanez and you'll have the whole set ;)

12. Davothegreat

I've ummed and aahhhed about buying an Ibanez for years but haven't been able to settle on one that I really like... well apart from the Satch models but they're $$$. I've also run out of space on the wall I hang my guitars on and the Mrs won't let me claim another wall.

How do you find the 7 string RG? Is it 24 fret? An old mate of mine has a 7 string 24 fret Schecter which wasn't bad but I've only played it once and I liked the 24 frets more than the 7 strings.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

So good! Going from a Gibson or Fender, you will feel like you're cheating, the action and the neck, so easy to play. I was surprised because it's a 7 string I thought it would be fat (it probably is compared to a 6 string Ibanez).
    24 frets, yes. I've fiddled around with different tunings, a bit of drop tuning etc... on 6 stings. Even as an experiment, or just to practice, I found the 7 really creative. Like a full E tuned guitar, with an extra lower string. So many weird scales and things to try.
    Schecter isn't too bad for an entry level 7 string, but the Japan made Ibanez is noticeably nicer quality.

Davothegreat and Gibson like this.
  14. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

Awesome collection!!

I've got a similar conundrum w the Fender 50th 2004 Strat and Fender 60th Diamond Anniversary 2006 Strat... Go figure

Davothegreat likes this.
  15. Davothegreat

So I had a bit of a play yesterday with my 4 year old, he was clanging away on his toy nylon piece of crap and I had a go on all 4 of my axes. He's been showing more and more interest over the past year so I'm starting to give some thought to getting him something to learn on soon so that he doesn't bash my axes. He says he wants a blue Gibson but there's no way in hell that's going to happen - the US exchange rate has pretty much ruined my plans of lining the remaining walls in my house with American guitars, lucky I bought my Tele and Gibson when I did, couldn't afford them now.

So what makes a good first axe for a kid that's not total rubbish? Or do I use this as an excuse to pop the Ibanez cherry? Are the cheaper models any good? I can't make heads or tails of the Ibanez catalog, with its no less than 113 models :|

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It depends if you want to go full size or not. You can get those mini electrics, not sure if they're gimicky or not. Or start with an acoustic?

17. Davothegreat

Hrmmm... an acoustic will definitely be lighter, though their necks tend to be really thick too. I forgot about those 3/4 size things, good call, though I know nothing about those either. Bloody kids!

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

19. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Around that age, I just had a ukulele...

GP

20. The Y-man

Another fan of ukes for kids (and adults!!).

The Y-man