The Miracle Morning

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Zii, 24th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zii

Zii Member

Hi All,

I'm a big advocate on Personal Development, goal-setting and generally getting things done. I personally believe that in order to achieve a goal, you need to completely immerse yourself into it and literally live, breath, and dream that goal. Afterall, if you don't have goals, what reason do you have for doing what you're doing (other than paying bills, putting food on the table..., surviving)?

In saying that, I came across a book called The Miracle Morning, and I'd like to know if anyone in the PC community has read or heard of it?

Sackie likes this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I have - just then ;)
    Was it any good?

3. House

House Well-Known Member

It was on the Wishlist until I read the 1 star reviews so will wait for the library to get it :)

Apparently the basic premise of the book is:
    * Wake up early.
    * Do the stuff you know you should be doing but aren't (exercise, etc.).

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have it, read it and have been utilising some of the principles long ago. The book is worth to have in your library imo but nothing earth shattering if you have already read widely. Its really about affecting/manipulating our physiology which inturn affects our emotions which then determines our actions and hence all our results.

I have seen first hand how my mentor would have a certain physiology and then do negotioatns with students (who weren't aware of the exercise) as an exercise. And then he changed his physiology and negotiated with another set of students who were also unaware. the differing results were amazing. the two groups of students had different perceptions, assumptions and emotions from both styles and were willing to make concessions faster and easer with 1 set of physiology when compared to the other.

Really amazing stuff many people utilise without even knowing it to get what they want. Imagine if you can wilfully know how to manipulate your physiology to get a certain reaction/result from the opposite side ;)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17166225-the-miracle-morning

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2015
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

In a nutshell

Wake up one hour before you usually get up, including weekends (Mind over Mattress)

Do the following for approximately 10 minutes each of that hour:
    Meditate
    Affirmations
    Visualise
    Exercise
    Read - something constructive
    Write - a journal or something else

Zii, House and Sackie like this.
  6. Zii

Zii Member

Those are pretty good summaries.

Leo2413,

In the book he talks about the reason why we wake up in the morning feeling tired when we don't have "enough" sleep. He says we feel tired because we tell ourselves before going to bed that we will feel tired in the morning because we won't get enough sleep. If we change our mindset (by telling ourselves that "I only need 'x' amount of hours to sleep and I will wake up energised"), we won't wake up exhausted.

What was your experience with that?

x = whether you can only have 4 hours or 7 hours, you tell yourself that those hours are enough

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I used to wake up every morning feeling tired and unpleasant. However, this all changed for the better when I started getting out of bed at 11.00 am.

juzzy, JenW, Zii and 2 others like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI @Zii

I think broadly speaking he is trying to get people to change their attitude and self talk which is often quite negative and does affect our mood and actions.

Let me tell you personally what I have discovered. People who have a strong sense of purpose, who are passionate and excited about the goals they have set and the progress they are making. People who have gotten rid of the negative people and influences in their life and associate with like minded, positive and highly driven individuals.

I have found that THOSE people usually cant wait to get up early and rather than 'face the day or get through the day' they are bursting with enthusiasm to get 'from' the day. They are excited about the deals they are making, the people they mix with and learn from and the results they achieve further fuels them with an overflow of passion, satisfaction and energy.

That's been my observation and experience.

Zii likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I am yet to meet a person who doesn't like to sleep in, apart from bosses.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't know any highly successful people who make it a routine to wake up late every day.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I used to wake up sleepy, grumpy, sneezy & dopey. A little while later I dumped Snow White as I wanted a monogamous relationship.

juzzy, Zii, House and 2 others like this.
  12. House

House Well-Known Member

I'm one of those so pleasure to 'meet' you :)

Stems from having to get up at 5am every morning to swim before school. Now there's too much to read and learn that I feel those extra hours asleep are a waste of time. Even after a big night out I'm up way before most would be.

Brian Tracey was a big advocate of rising early and getting **** done. As mentioned above, I'd be surprised if any successful people sleep in regularly.

Sackie likes this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I get up early otherwise I can't do exercises and walk the dog o_O
    Hopefully that mean I'll become highly successful :D

That said, I don't think a sleep deprived individual will make a happy successful person :confused:

Sackie likes this.
  14. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

Sleep when you die as they say

Sackie likes this.
  15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

There is something to this.
    About three years ago I reached a critical point with stressing about sleep.
    I was getting up at 5am to ride, working a busy job, and then from about 3pm onwards all thoughts became fixated on getting to bed and asleep at 9pm for the 8 hours sleep before doing it again.
    It never happened and I would spend hours and hours awake, and stressing about it.
    A sleep diary changed my life - I found I was 100% on 6 hours, probably 90% on 5 hours, and could still function pretty well on 3-4 hours.
    I spent a year with a sleep psychologist to reframe the thoughts exactly as you mention.
    I'm not perfect, but I've come a hell of a long way.
    I sleep usually 4-5 hours a night. But I don't stress too much except when my kids keep me up on top of this.
    Still room to improve - I won't ever commit to an early morning ride with others, but often I am there anyway.

Sackie likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nah sleep in I say. OK, I might miss out on the glorious mornings. But you get used to waking up without a morning glory.

:)

juzzy and Scott No Mates like this.
  17. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Some people are night people others are morning people.
    I used to drive a taxi at night so had so much energy st night, even now where i work a day job my energy kicks in about 6pm at night.
    I would love to start a night time cafe in Sydney

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love the idea!

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You beat me to it.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia