The Minimalists

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Terry_w, 2nd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The Minimalists is now available on Netflix

Minimalism is the key to early retirement.

Perthguy, WattleIdo, Major and 6 others like this.
  2. 27269

27269 Member

It's a great documentary and you should also watch 'Minimalism - A documentary about the important things' which was also directed/produced by Matt D'Avella and narrated/hosted by Ryan and Josh.

If you're interested in more content like this Matt D'Avella, Ryan and Josh (The Minimalists) have their own YouTube channels which deep dive into minimalism and how its applicable to multiple aspects of your life and not limited to just physical possessions (e.g. digital minimalism, financial minimalism, reassessing relationships, etc). It's a great feeling relieving yourself of things that no longer add value to your life. It's an even better feeling passing physical things onto others to add value to their lives, rather than letting those things accumulate dust in a cupboard.

I first discovered minimalism back in 2017 and recall (during my initial 'stuff/things' cleanse) coming across a receipt for an Oroton wallet termed "The Minimalist" - without sounding too cheesy it seemed like something I was destined / bound to encounter haha

Propin, Lizzie and Terry_w like this.
  3. Terry_w

I found Matt D'Avella's channel a few days ago and subscribed.

This video is a good one - but keep going past the 1.06min mark

27269 likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the referral - enjoying the show.

I would say I'm pseudo minimalist and it makes my skin crawl when shopping, to see how much absolute plastic crap there is on the shelves - and the tat rubbish people buy their kids for Christmas etc. It drives my OCD nuts how people has "stuff" all over every surface ... was at a rele's for Christmas and needed some bench space, so they helped me tidy a bench off - 50% of the stuff (if not more) was rubbish stuff, not literal rubbish, that they consequently put in the bin ... OMG ... if it's rubbish then don't leave it sitting on the bench!

My philosophy is - to stay in my home - I have to use it regularly ... love it and have it on display ... or it has special heirloom qualities (which usually comes under the love it heading)

Sadly, I can not say the same for hubby's shed full of "it might be useful one day" stuff :confused:

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2021
    AxeLy, Mark F, Firefly99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I like to think of it as "Spend your money, don't blow it" as an older person once told me

paulF, AxeLy, willair and 6 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This guy makes the 1950's-60's migrants look rich by comparison, they splurged on milk crates & fruit boxes for furniture. :p

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am not sure why they are not looking at verge collections, stick to blue chip areas :p Bespoke furniture

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh I want to watch this! My mum is living in a large family home as she has so much stuff. My parents collected from markets and antique shops as a hobby. I'm trying to just have one display cupboard of collectables as I'd hate to be tied down by too much stuff. I still have way too much. Moving interstate and having most of my furniture destroyed by a dodgy removalist without insurance covering neglectful damage has also taught me to not be too attached to stuff.

27269 likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I’m a born minimalist. I just need to de-clutter a couple of kidults out of home and I’ll be done!

Bunbury, craigc and Lizzie like this.
  11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I used to be a minimalist until my "it might be useful one day" gene kicked in. At one stage, when I moved from Sydney to Hobart I had my entire possessions down to a kombi van load - admittedly the load was so heavy I couldn't turn the steering wheel when the kombi was stationary. Moving back to the mainland 15 years later a 40ft container was barely sufficient.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Suspect you had furniture for the return journey - minimalist doesn't mean "own nothing" but rather "don't own **** that you don't use or need or like"

wylie and 27269 like this.
  13. Terry_w

I dream of just being a traveler with a carry on case and nothing else.

paulF, Citycat88, trinity168 and 2 others like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Done that many a time - it's not hard

15. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I had furniture on the way down - bed, dining table & chairs, buffet, book case, fridge and washing machine etc. No giant garage sale before departing. Coming back I had added a wife and daughter.

Joynz, craigc, AxeLy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Terry_w

Ah, but I meant not having any assets at all other than whats in that suitcase.

I have done it many times too, straight out through customers not waiting for the luggage to arrive is great. Even better would be just carrying a laptop with no suitcase.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Terry_w

18. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

I watch quite a number of travel vloggers on youtube as I'm envious of their ability to travel to faraway exotic places - especially in these pandemic times; and I'm amazed these people can live so minimally.... some like Harald Baldr have a suitcase with only 3 changes of clothing maximum and can exist for many years, travelling and vlogging professional, with just that.

I am in the process of moving interstate, and doing so in multiple trips by car. I was away for 6 years and returning "home" so to speak, I've managed to accumulate so much physical posessions in that timeframe - not even counting household furniture or appliances; like personal frivolous item. So many hard drives and data storage for my electronic life... wardrobe of clothing that can't fit within 4 suitcases, folders of paperwork all deemed "important" in one sense or another, etc.

Counting the monetary cost itself - I'm envious of anyone managing to live minimally... so much money saved from not buying this stuff in the first place!

27269 and Terry_w like this.
  19. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, subscribed... he's got some good content.
    That's pretty much my life, less the going to the gym part, I go out to the garage or go out for a run.

Terry_w likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our decor is "art gallery" in our living and dining rooms. We would never have built our house as it is, would never build a formal living and dining room. But that is what we have and after years of trial and error, the middle of the house living room, is now a dining room.

As a living room it was hopeless because it is really just a huge hallway used to get from bedrooms to kitchen, laundry, pool and outdoor areas. Everyone must walk through it to get to the bathroom. When the house was built it was a "destination" room, but additions before we bought mean it is now in the middle of the house.

So we went overboard, made the walls deep brown, hung art everywhere (old prints in lovely frames), great lighting and we love the result.

But these rooms are quite a surprise for newcomers to our house. I'd assume some would think we are hoarders, but that is far from the truth.

We have one set of sheets on each bed, two spare sets in our linen cupboard. Probably ten towels, five bathmats.

It was different when the children were at home, of course. You have to have more linen in those years.

I wear the same things all the time, and if I've not worn something, it is donated. The only furniture we have bought from new is one of our lounge suites, beds, and our dining table and chairs. Most of what we have is second hand, carefully chosen and always evolving. Early days we couldn't afford new furniture, and now we can, we still choose quirky and old over shiny and new.

Old doesn't always mean tatty.

I'm clearing some things that have come to me from my late parents, and aunt that have sat in cupboards, waiting to see if our adult children or my brother's adult children may want them.

A sideboard that my mother bought (English oak, Art Deco, lovely piece) is going soon to my niece.

We joke that our boys will back up a skip under our front deck, remove a railing and push everything into the skip and that's their call.

I've made sure they know what has value, and what doesn't.

Everything we have on show brings us joy. Our living rooms are pretty much one big hallway to get from kitchen and TV area to bathroom and bedrooms, not a separate "off limits - do not touch" area like some formal living rooms. I enjoy our living rooms each time I walk through them.

I admire clean and simple, and one day we might do a complete flip and go clean and simple. But not yet.

geoffw likes this.