The Lord's Prayer in Parliament - what the hell?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jaybean, 28th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

A wing and prayer is all the last few govts have.

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Christmas and easter are originally pagan holidays to celebrate the changing of seasons. So they would remain without christianity.

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2016
    wylie, Hodor and Azazel like this.
  3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Good to see that you went though all these and make your conclusions. Good luck with your personal walk. I respect that.

I have completely different background. I was a strong atheist myself, until age 22. The only reason I believe in the Bible is because of my personal relationship with God. In fact, I only read the Bible later.

I think The Bible is only another book to read, unless the person who reads it has a geniune personal relationship with God, then the Book comes alive.

4. Tattler

If that is the case, then they should DEFINITELY get rid of it. I don't know many Australian who are actually believing in paganism.

5. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I've had to do the "rise my right hand" and make hollow meaningless pledges while going through my recent US immigration process. In this day and age, I really don't get it.

If I don't believe.......I don't understand why make me do it.

Tim86 and Xenia like this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I think religion is a personal thing. Keep it to yourself, your friends and family. Don't ask for publicly funded tax exemptions for churches and schools. Don't weigh into debates about euthanasia, gay marriage, drugs, stem cell research etc with non-secular arguments. Keep. It. To. Yourself. Then we're all happy.

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2016
    HUGH72 and Tim86 like this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Oh now you've done it - you know where the rest of this is heading don't you? lol

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that anyone who has read the Old Testament and actually contemplated what they just read could only come to one logical conclusion.
    It's pretty daming if the best thing that can be said about most of the books of the Old Testament is that they no longer apply or can be disregarded.

Tim86 likes this.
  9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It begins. Brace yourselves.

Xenia likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's not really an issue of belief in the Equinox and Soltices.
    They happen, however you choose to acknowledge that is your business.

wylie and Tim86 like this.
  11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol thats right. As long as we still have seasons on earth then the holidays to mark those occasions still make sense.

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Or just hot air

13. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

The pledge in Australia isn't based on religion, rather you are pledging loyalty to the country and it's people. You can choose to make it under god, but no requirement.

14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

christmas has long since stopped being purely about christianity and is celebrated worldwide by people without any religious reference to the day and so the original meaning of the day is not its sole purpose.

kind of like how a pagan holiday like easter morphed into a christian holiday and then morphed into a time to eat chocolate, sell hot cross buns and have ******* excited about creme eggs being available.

im in no way against christianity on its own, im against any religion having an effect on our laws. that being said though the lords prayer in parliament although misplaced and completrly out of context is fairly harmless, if anything christianity is done a disservice if some of the idiots we have running this country appear to be representing it.

Tim86 likes this.
  15. sanj

and i think its great you have found something tht you believe in but that in no way affects its relevance to the country as a whole or why it should be in parliament

Tim86 and ellejay like this.
  16. sanj

there you go being logical again.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Your question captures the essence of the culture. ;)

Tattler likes this.
  18. Tattler

Like I said, if you read it as a book, and as a book only, then the worst thing you can see is all those murders, punishments, million types of offerings, etc etc etc.

To me reading it now, Old Testament is all about the promises of the future, which was fulfilled in New Testament. That's only because of my personal relationship with God, and one of the reason of this relationship is prayers.

To me reading in the past, I would have read it as a historical book only.

19. Tattler

Then again, most people that I know, Christians and atheists, never celebrated Christmas and Easter because of Equinox and Solstices, or any pagan festivals. It would be hard pressed to find people actually celebrate Equinox and Solstices here. China yes but certainly not in Australia.

People who doesn't believe in Lord's Prayer. That's fine. They don't want Lord's Prayer in Parliament, they can always petition this to MPs, or even form parties about it if they wanted to. That is they right. But then again, if they don't believe it and have such as strong cause about Lord's Prayer, they may as well be consistent about it, petition to get rid of Christmas and Easter holidays. Or if really want to, petition to change those date to officially celebrate some Equinox or Solstices. I would like to see that.

20. Tattler

If people do not believe the Lord's Prayer should be in Parliament, then they should certainly petition it or form a party about it. If enough people vote for it then it would certainly be removed.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia