Managed Funds The life of a property fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Simon Hampel, 19th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

CFS Wholesale Colliers Geared Global Property Securities fund was launched in April 2007.

An investment of $10,000 at launch was worth $10,244 at its peak in June 2007.

From there it was all downhill until it finally bottomed in March 2009 where your initial investment of $10,000 was now worth ... $451 (that includes reinvested dividends!!)

That's more than a 95% drop in value.

Now that's where the fun started - if you picked up units then, you would have seen your money grow handsomely over the next few years.

By March 2013, that original $10,000 investment would be worth $5,617 - back up to half way towards recovering from the GFC falls.

It paused a while before resuming the growth and from 2017 through to early 2020 the fund saw great growth to the point where your original $10,000 invested in April 2007 would eventually show a profit by reaching a value of $10,026 on 17th Feb 2020 (assuming you reinvested all dividends!!).

But then COVID-19 hit and things started going badly for property securities - and as of the 18th March the value of that initial $10,000 investment is now back down to $3,558, and I really don't think we're anywhere near the bottom yet.

Not trying to make any particular point - I just thought it was interesting looking back at the history of this fund to see how it had performed since launch.

There were a lot of funds launched in those boom years leading up to the GFC. A lot of them didn't survive - but it's quite interesting to look at those that did.

2020-03-19_22-45-45.png

New Town, sharon, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Interesting analysis, an FP advised of a CFS wholesale fund (among others for a large portfolio) back around that time ie pre-GFC.

When we realised it was paying dividends out of the capital, we pulled the pin with minimal losses. Went down big time from there. Dodged a bullet.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I made some good money on this fund riding it on the way back up - but it is extremely volatile given its international exposure - there tends to be huge reactions to world events. I sold out in 2018 and so missed that last run, but I'm certainly in a better position now than if I had held!

Already down 65% as of Wednesday - and given the lock downs in many countries, lots of property securities are likely to struggle in the short term.

I also predict that this event may cause a change in approach for many companies once they work out that you can realistically have a large part of the workforce working from home - I see softer demand for office space moving forwards.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Pretty evil stuff in that there chart.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia