The Haves and the Have Nots

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MTR, 9th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The great divide, I expect the gap will continue to widen

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bu...e/news-story/3bb5af104bac7cc435fc330586003fa8

Extract Below

Australia’s middle class shrinks as property creates great divide
    [​IMG]
    ANTHONY KEANE, News Corp Australia Network
    July 28, 2016 10:00pm

[​IMG]
    AUSTRALIA’S middle class is disappearing amid a widening gap between the haves and the have-nots, research suggests.

Analysis by social research group McCrindle has found that the top 20 per cent of households now have average earnings 12 times higher than the bottom 20 per cent, and their average wealth is 71 times greater — at $2.5 million versus $35,000.

Buoyed by rising real estate values, the income and wealth of the richest two million households is more than twice as high as the next two million households, and has been growing more than twice as fast.

Social researcher Mark McCrindle said more than two-thirds of households earned less than the average household income of $107,276 — yet being middle class today required a six-figure income.

“It is a worrying trend — there’s a bigger divide today compared to two years ago,” he said.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with where I am sitting on those scales :cool:

WHERE DOES YOUR HOUSEHOLD FIT?

AVERAGE INCOME

Top 20% - $260,104

Fourth 20% - $124,956

Third 20% - $80,704

Second 20% - $47,944

Lowest 20% - $22,620

AVERAGE WEALTH

Top 20% - $2.51 million

Fourth 20% - $830,600

Third 20% - $462,500

Second 20% - $206,100

Lowest 20% - $35,500​

MTR likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thanks, where did you get this data?

4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Is this total houshold income/wealth or per person in the household?

5. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

This just in, capitalism favours those with capital, and money makes money. More at 11.

devank, Cactus, Redwing and 5 others like this.
  6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The bottom of the article you linked, although I had to google the title.

MTR likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL, I need to pay attention and I need to make more money...

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The rich get richer and the poor don't get the picture! Yeeee hawww!

devank, kierank, Cactus and 4 others like this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It all boils down to the individual.

One of the richest people I know came from very humble beginnings. His first job was casual deckhand on a trawler.

Sure, people from rich families have a huge advantage, but sometimes don't take advantage of their opportunities.
    Marg

Chabs, paulF, MTR and 2 others like this.
  10. Creamy

Creamy Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's just tall poppy syndrome, but I noticed something the other day. The comments on articles where someone makes money from property are alarmingly negative. However about a month ago when 20 or so government workers won the lotto, the comments were along the lines of "good on them, they deserve it, well done".

What gives? Try to get ahead and you get dragged down. Get given it and you receive praise??

wylie, kierank, Cactus and 4 others like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep....ole tall poppy syndrome at work....its the same with some people on PC also.......

Gingin and legallyblonde like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"Edward Kleut, 25 [in Adelaide], has been living with his parents while trying to save a deposit for his first home.

“It is difficult as a young person to get involved in the housing market due to the high price of properties which just seem to be continuing to grow. You just feel like you don’t ever have a chance,” he said."

Seriously? If he thinks Adelaide is expensive, he should try Sydney! :eek:

This has to be a gee up surely. You can buy a house in Elizabeth for $150k. So sure, maybe he doesn't want to slum it. He could buy a new villa in Salisbury for $250k. That's not seriously unaffordable.

bob shovel, Chabs, kierank and 7 others like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

trick is not to discuss property outside this forum, it wont work, its a fine line, your joy and happiness could be perceived as gloating and remember just because we love property and making money not everyone feels the same way, they could find it boring or worse they start to feel insecure. Best to say very little, I have learnt this one.
    My mother does not even have a clue how many properties we own, true story.

14. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I do love reading comments on property posts via facebook

bob shovel likes this.
  15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It might have changed but deckhands make good money, it's hard dangerous work. The problem is when they return to shore for time off, most party pretty hard and spend a lot of money. The smart ones have a second job.

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Exactly, keep it to yourself, no good comes from discussing it with family or friends unless they seriously invest as well.

2FAST4U, wylie, legallyblonde and 6 others like this.
  17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Some people are poor because of their own doings(spending over their means,holidaying,not using chances that life gives them) and some are poor because simply life hasn't given them a chance(sickness,accidents...). I feel for both but respect the latter much more.

and +many to the comments about keeping things to one self. One of my biggest regrets is talking to friends/family about investing or money making. Some simply don't get it...

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Depends who your friends are. Almost all my friends own property and love talking about it. I also talk shop with my parents: price, yield, capital growth etc. They are looking for renovators now. Love it! Of course they are buying in the worst suburbs but they love it so good on them.

I'm not sure too many people can have the gross yield/net yield conversation with their parents... especially when it's the parents doing the investing! :)

19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

So true. We bumped into a friend at our local shops last weekend, and my wife mentioned that we were going to look at a few properties.. my kid kicks off and yells,
    "No! That's soo boring! Dad, we've got enough houses! We don't need to buy more!!!!!"
    I'm not sure what was funnier, the tantrum, or the looks we got from other patrons in the shop! A few thought it was funny, others glared..:rolleyes::)

20. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

its the same everywhere though, most of my mates in adelaide have owned their homes 10+ years now in the southern suburbs and doing well, a few have purchased more since or upgraded. But then we have a few friends making good money, crying about affordability as they want to live in what they grew up in, a big house on a 700sqm block in plympton and can't seem to save the deposit for a $550-$600,000 house because they **** it up against the wall every weekend and aren't willing to buckle the belt. Will never change

Perthguy likes this.