The good old Brisbane 10 x 40 metre block

Discussion in 'Development' started by JK200SX, 18th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

I suppose these 400m blocks would've been more functional to build on if they had a wider frontage, but I suppose there were reasons why they are like that.

So, my question here relates to what can be built on one of these typical blocks. What I'm looking at is pushing the limits - what have people done/built to maximise their yield/profit/cashflow? These blocks are typically low density, but is there any way possible to get atleast to rentals/properties on one of these blocks. I know people will say you can't because of the city plan etc, but is there any way.

The thing that got me thinking, is that I have a friend who had a 200sqm block in Melb (ie 10 x 20m) and via careful design he has managed to squeeze 2 x 2br townhouses with single car carpots on the land and rents them both out for $620 total per week!

MBO and MJS1034 like this.
  2. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

I have seen some plans with upstairs/downstairs duel living homes on the 10*40 block around the traps.

They are horrible looking places though. Presumably really nice for yield but not sure about growth potential as they just look awful.

Certainly an interesting idea though. We were recently talking to our town planner about a block he was working with where the landlord was renting out separate rooms (in a structure different to simply letting to students or something. They were designed as separate rooms with bathrooms etc, but I believe had a common area. From what I understood these constructions are "self assessable" from a town planning point of view, as opposed to granny flats etc, which I believe may require more attention from planning and certification point of view. I'll see if I can get some more information off him about it.

Cheers

mcarthur likes this.
  3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm interested in this too.
    Do some searches on project homes for narrow blocks - 8.5m seems reasonably common.
    Of course they aren't developments, only KDRs.

For mine, I'm thinking of a up/down development rather than side-by-side or front/back.
    I've got a 100m envelope on the 400sqm block, and if I keep to that I can do an up/down without a nasty DA :).

I think I can convince council that the bottom could be car parking and storage, which would leave another two floors with 1x100sqm flat per floor; probably three bed under and 2 bed on top with views.
    I'm worried I'll need a lift though which will hurt the bottom line... anyone done a lift before?

4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I looked at this when building on my 10 x 40 site but was put off by BCC's tough stance on dual occs.

5. mcarthur

I'm in MBRC rather than Brisbane, and there's already an old 3bed-up/2bed-dn house that was built and used as flats. So as long as I stay within the 100sqm footprint, I should be ok (I have it in writing from council).

I agree it's much harder (at all??) in BCC. What did you end up building - a single dwelling?

I just saw this in another thread - what Cheri Barber has done for a single dwelling on 400sqm...
    http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-leichhardt-120388361
    http://news.domain.com.au/domain/do...vating-a-leichhardt-dump-20150818-gj1krk.html

6. beachgurl

Yes I just bought a single dwelling. It's not harder to get a dual occ in BCC, it's illegal. I've been reading the rules on rooming houses and am wondering if that is a possibility as the property complies with room and house sizes and I'd just need to add the safety requirements.

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

I'm certain there are a stack of em in the bayside. Up and downs. I'll do a driveby and confirm this arvo.

8. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

9. mcarthur

Good idea, but what about zoning?

I'm not sure about the rules for a rooming house, but in talking with my PM there are some annoyances for renting out a property as flats rather than a single dwelling. It may be similar for boarding houses?

These include:
    • the apparently the water often can't be attributed separately so becomes the responsiblity of the landlord; for me, that's about $30/wk in MBRC.
    • Same obviously with electricity, although that's often easier to fix by spending money on the meter, but the wiring may also need work to separate the rooms/flats.
    • The yard also then becomes a common area and is the responsibility of the landlord to keep up, so that's another $25+/wk for a gardener.
    I could have got an extra $80-100/wk renting mine as two flats compared to a single dwelling, but about $55 would be eaten by the water and yard. So for another $25-45/wk, I'd have all the hassles of downstairs tennants not liking the upstairs and vice versa, and likely a lot more turnover. So in my case it just isn't worth it.

10. mcarthur

11. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Bayside is BCC mate. Cheers,

12. JK200SX

13. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

And the disability access requirements.

14. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Sorry mate isn't that what you were looking for? My apologies if I misunderstood you.

15. JK200SX

What you wrote was exactly what I'm after. I spoke to someone at this company and he mentioned that particular code was what the one that allows the houses to comply?

Tifoso likes this.
  16. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

Hmm. This loop hole and those designs are certainly very interesting..

17. RPI

Have a read of this for a good start. New builds can easily accommodate the fire and accessibility aspects. The existing places that we have referred to certifiers have all ended up being too expensive to retrofit.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...roval/business-projects/rooming-accommodation

I would also get in fast as I would not be surprised if this code disappears in a future minor update to the plan.

18. beachgurl

thanks for posting that RPI. Do you need to provide disability access for a property for 5 or less occupants?

19. RPI

Technically yes, but if there is surplus available in the area, or there are some mitigating circumstances then your certifier may allow an exemption