QLD The Gap or Mcdowall?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Maxxx, 3rd Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Active Member

@Maxxx have you spent much time driving around the suburbs? If your interested I can meet you and take you around The Gap and talk to you about the different parts, what to expect from each one and discuss what your wanting in more detail.
    I’m not sure if you can direct message on this or not, but if so shoot me a message and we can figure it out.

Maxxx likes this.
  2. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

Given schools are a top priority, I think Kenmore is worth a look. High School not quite as highly ranked as The Gap, but quite respectable.

I would also agree with ToeKnee to see if you can check the schools out to get a feel for them. Ranking isn't always the only aspect to consider with schools. I think a large aspect of the highly ranked schools is a bit of a circular effect: educated professionals tend to live in the catchments, and they value education, so this influences the population of the school and the standards of students.

Kenmore and The Gap High Schools are in suburbs with demographics that tend to highly value education (middle class, upper middle class families whose parents are often university educated). Kenmore has some nice cafes and little shopping village. But I think the commute could be a bit more of a pain in peak hour: I have no personal experience or data to validate this, but I do seem to recall an article mentioning bus routes in that vicinity being ranked among the most likely to be delayed or take longer than the estimate? Can't remember where I saw the article though.

What is interesting about Kenmore, is it has one of the very few top ranking public high school catchments that still includes suburbs where it has still fairly easy to buy a good sized house for about 500k: Moggill and Bellbowrie. I am not sure whether this will have any 'dampening effect' on future increases for Kenmore. If Kenmore gets too expensive for them, people focused on the high school catchment have options to buy in these cheaper suburbs for a more affordable price.

I found this out when I was doing some research for some clients of my husband earlier this year: they didn't care about commute issues or access to cafes etc. Their highest priority was having good schools, family friendly area and 4 bedroom house for extended family with not too much work to do. Their maximum budget was $500k. I used domain's school catchment search facility to search for properties in catchments of highly ranked public high schools, and the best I could find for their budget and criteria was Moggill and Bellbowrie. Every other suburb in catchments for highly ranked public school was likely to involve a fixer upper in their budget, or was completely out of their budget for a house. They have since bought a 4 bedroom house in Moggill and say they love the suburb.

In The Gap, there is no such option to buy in a further out, cheaper suburb and still be in the catchment, so the factor of high school catchment may have a stronger effect on future growth because it is so restricted.

Perhaps look at Ferny Grove, Ferny Hills area and check out Ferny Grove High School. Not in the top ranked public high school catchments yet, but I have a feeling it may be on the rise in the future. I think it might be subject to an enrolment managment plan, which often indicates it is reasonably well regarded. I know some people who have sent their children there who love the school . I like the setting for the school - not on a major arterial, bushland setting. There are plans for redevelopment of the train station to include a shopping centre, which look very nice based on drawings I have seen. Also landlocked by mountains to west, and over the hill is Samford, with very pricey acreage property - so close to high income demographics.

I like Ferny Grove/Ferny Hills better than Keperra or Mitchelton, although the latter is closer to the city, particularly with the influence of demographics and considering school catchments. There is higher public housing in the latter suburbs, and higher proportion of transient family populations with the army barracks close by. I think this may reflect in the Mitchelton High School compared to Ferny Grove High.

3. kimbrisvegas

kimbrisvegas Well-Known Member

I was using the following data to focus on the top 10 public high schools in Brisbane area:

Top Public High Schools in Brisbane - 2019

OP/IBD Public School Ranking - 2018

I also find this map really interesting: red means there is a management plan in place (that is, high demand compared to places available at the school): School Catchment Maps

I note that Everton Park and Mitchelton haven't had such good reputations - surrounded by enrolment managed schools, but not enrolment managed themselves.

Maxxx likes this.
  4. Maxxx

Maxxx Member

Thank Kim, love your post! Like ToeKnee said, very good schools which is always a draw card. I driving around The Gap and Kenmore today. I would say I prefer The Gap much more than Kenmore, simply because The Gap is nicer.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia