QLD The Gap (Brisbane)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Cate81, 21st Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

What are people thoughts on value at The Gap 4061?

Hard to locate data about many recent sales however have noticed asking prices for some 1970s and 1980s 3 bedders in the 1.1 to 1.2 range. Some really basic and unattractive 4 bedders with price expectations of 1.2 to 1.3.

I feel it is expensive at 12 km from CBD with no train and not great services....apart from the High School. Is it overpriced or am I missing something?

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

It's a pretty suburb enoggera reservoir is amazing now but they have open up the beach there and it's very leafy and nice but not too far from the city.
    That's all owner occupiers pushing the price up.

3. MissyJ

MissyJ Member

Those areas in the northside are not overpriced as they are so beautiful, safe and leafy. I prefer the look of Ferny Hills/Arana Hills to the Gap and the position is more convenient btw. The hardest part is to find a good property in the area, as the suburbs are quite old. Relatively new properties are in the Arlington Estate in Arana Hills i. E.

4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

It’s expensive because it’s a popular leafy family area with good schools.

12km is also not far to drive to the city.. around 30mins. It’s actually faster than getting from some south side suburbs to the city on the M1

Enogerra Reservior, Gap Creek, and Mt Nebo are very close by.

It’s one of those suburbs that is close enough to the city if you need it, while being far enough away to not have that inner city feel (many actually want that)

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Gap is amazing. Has a very swimable beach at the Enogerra reservoir. But pricey…

6. dzzz

dzzz Member

I recently bought my first home at The Gap. I paid more than I thought it was worth but it’s a lifestyle choice as other have mentioned. Basic three bedders now approaching the million dollar threshold.

Enogerra resovoir and access to the walking and bike riding trails around Mt Coot tha make The Gap a great place to live - it’s likely not to be threatened by overdevelopment as it’s nestled between national parks. If you like the outdoors, The Gap is potentially the best suburb in Brisbane to live.

Waterworks road does suck during peak but it’s manageable. The shops and amenities are pretty dated though. Coffee Entrepreneurs could make a killing here if they opened up some decent coffee shops.

7. Jellybeans123

Jellybeans123 Member

have noticed asking prices for some 1970s and 1980s 3 bedders in the 1.1 to 1.2 range. Some really basic and unattractive 4 bedders with price expectations of 1.2 to 1.3.

I feel it is expensive at 12 km from CBD with no train and not great services....apart from the High School. Is it overpriced

Nope,not over priced. It’s the new floor price. 43% price growth for the average 3 bedder in most of the middle suburbs on the middle north west. I reckon they still have more growth coming this year as well. So in a years time those 1.2-1.3 properties are going to look like good value

8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think in years to come price today almost anywhere in Brisbane City council is gonna look like a good value :D

9. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

It's The Gap - it's a beautiful (old money) suburb; green, walking/mountain bike trails at your doorstep, swimming/non-powered water sports in the Reservoir. It's just so picturesque!
    Taking the T2 in peak hour, I could be in West End in a little over 20 minutes. And my favorite thing about The Gap, are the acreages - no other Bris middle ring suburb has the scale to match The Gap. My in-laws are land banking 21ac (3 separate properties), the largest being 16ac, with city views, sitting in a residential street.

10. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I agree The Gap is lovely. I grew up there so I know it well. I don't agree that it's old money though. Ashgrove and Bardon are but not The Gap. It's good to get a community feel on the place. Lots of houses for sale at the moment....many have been on the market for longer than I would have expected.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  11. dzzz

dzzz Member

Really? They seem to be going under offer very fast from what I observe. When I bought late last year there, places would sell after first open.

12. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

There are place at the lower end that are selling quick. Reasonably priced properties are going fast. There are other properties that have been on the market for several weeks or even months. I look every day at various suburbs including The Gap and have been for the last six months and I do think there are more properties and they are selling more slowly. That's probably the case in many suburbs apart from the inner ring blue chips though or cheapies.

13. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

It is a great location, I believe it will give you capital growth, it ticks the boxes for me. I always say location is 30% of the equation, the 70% is the actual house. I would say try to find something for $900k or less, that'll give you a good entry point into that market. I track a lot of the southeast QLD markets and have price entry points for each suburb. This will reduce your risk and increase your capital growth. I would not just get stuck on 1 2 or even just 5 suburbs, expand your search to find the best property. Use email, text and direct calls to create and find pre-market opportunities that will give you the best returns on your efforts.