Sports & Fitness The Diamond Generation ? - The new Socceroo's

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The 2006 Socceroo's are called the Golden Generation , and it's early days yet , but the current crop of Socceroo's coming though , for me, have a flair and sparkle and creativity that for me gives hope of Football in Australia reaching new heights on the world Stage .

Anyone who watched the Socceroo's demolish Jordan on Tuesday night couldn't help but be impressed by the result , but by the manner and style of their play .

Lead by established players in Cahill , Kruse and Leckie , the interplay in the final 1/3 ( which has ALWAYS been Australia's weakness ) sparkled . The Interplay between Rogic , Mooy , Luongo and the previously mentioned was football at it's best . With the missing Terry Antonis the Soccero's have four potentially world beating creative midfielders. Previously we've really only had one of those in Bresciano and while he was a good attacking weapon , at times lacked the strength and endurance to also be a good defensive midfielder . That isn't the case with the current crop

The 2006 socceroo's achieved what they did by being a great team , however their most talented players ( Kewell and Viduka ) never consistently performed for Australia and the teams strength lay in their team work .

In the current crop ( still germinating ) I see more sparkle that has the potential to dazzle us in the years to come .

Do we have a The Diamond Generation on their way ?

Cliff

kimba88, RenegadeDom and andrew_t like this.
  2. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, and watching Mooy, Rogic and Luongo over the last year I'd have to say I agree we're heading in the right direction. I've also heard that the current under 16 crop of players is technically up there with the best we've ever produced, so there should be more to come.

And you haven't even mentioned the young talent coming through for forward positions. Kruse is already there (as much as I disslike him, he's a great player), but Giannou also impressed me the other night. And you'd have to think that Jamie Maclaren isn't far from getting a chance to step up.

Very exciting times indeed for Australian football.

See Change likes this.
  3. See Change

A lot of it will come down to how they manage their careers ....Luongo , Rogic and Antonis seem to be getting established after a couple of rocky starts with injury . I'm just hoping Aaron Mooy makes the right choices .

Mark Milligan is a classic example of how not to manage your career . Great start with Sydney FC , but tried to go OS 1-2 seasons too soon and to Arsenal ... who didn't sign him , then he wandered around a bit , then spent time in Japan and then back to Australia . Didn't sign with Crystal palace a year ago and now is in Saudi Arabia .

He should have been playing in the EPL / Bundasliga for the last 5-6 years . 2 more seasons with Sydney FC , to Belgian / Championship / German second division . A couple of years there and then into a lower level top division club .

Jedinak is in his third season of ELP and Milligan is ( IMHO ) a better player , more creative , faster .

Cliff

4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are the diamond generation yet.....remember the teams that Australia played during the 2006 campaign including Brazil, Croatia and Japan. All excellent teams. Japan arguably the best in Asia at the time which we beat comprehensively. Brazil the world's most famous and successful team beat us only by 2 goals. Croatia who had a player receive 3 yellow cards before he was sent off. We managed a draw in that one.

So although I'd love for the current crop to do well, I think we need solid opponent before I get too excited. Unfortunately this is not very likely until the actual World Cup as friendlies aren't really indicative of why teams are capable of and in the qualifying stages we are limited to Asian opposition.

See Change likes this.
  5. See Change

York

Note there is a ? in the title :)

Cliff

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I reckon they should all go in Acting,every time one falls over it's a academy awards red carpet performance,bring on the state of origin..

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

@See Change :) I know....just gave my little summary of the situation. I'm still hurt from 2006. Dirty divers....:p

See Change likes this.
  8. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

As opposed to NRL players who should get into wife bashing, drug taking, drink driving... oh wait ;)

Phantom, aussieshorter and See Change like this.
  9. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

Clearly never watched a Socceroos game before :rolleyes:

See Change likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have watched the games,wife and family like the game,just i only like the state of origins each year,and not all NRL players are wife bashing banged up on drugs ,or you line up 100 players
    from all sports codes,and with nonmeasurable uncertainty if you looked at each one after several urine tests which code comes out clean?..

11. See Change

and I thought we were talking about football ....

cliff

MWI likes this.
  12. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Let's not get too excited, the way Jordan placed the other night any A League side would have given them a run.
    What was wrong with the pitch it was a disgrace, yes it had rained but doesn't the SFS have a drainage system?
    Kruse did make a difference but what about Cahill at 35, no one better in the air.

See Change likes this.
  13. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

I think there should be reason to get excited. We no longer solely rely on a few "key" players to make the team dangerous. The depth that the team now has is impressive, and the flair and flow in attack is great to see, much of this attributed to Ange. This all with quality players in the A-league who can't crack the side, it's an exciting time for the national team. Jordan played average, but were not allowed to get a stronghold on the game from the outset.

How football is progressing in this country is remarkable. The world game is here :)

HUGH72 and See Change like this.
  14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Brad Smith isn't far from being a regular for Liverpool. Alberto Moreno is keeping him out of the starting 11, it will be interesting to see if he gets a new contract as there will be a big spending spree at the seasons end.

I'm sure he will be a regular starter in the EPL in the years ahead with more opportunities and experience.

15. See Change

Brad was impressive moving forwards . will be interesting to see how the defence Gels with more pressure .

Sydney FC have fall off the wagon in recent months and that in part is ( IMHO ) due to Alex Gersbach leaving for OS . He's the other one who I think will make his mark , BUT , he's still young ( ? 19 now ) and is more advanced in his development in terms of an attacking force . Has on occasions got caught out defensively , but it was interesting to see he got called up into the squad , probably more for the experience rather than any realistic expectation of playing time.

Couple of years playing in lower levels in Europe will be good for him , but ? 1-2 seasons too early .

Cliff

16. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

Lol
    Lol, that's the way to handle a silly stereotype, raise him with one of your very own

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What would you call today's team - the Lost Generation? As much as I want us to qualify, I fear we're toast against Peru.

And the FFA's reluctance to sub the coach a few games (months) ago when the writing was on the wall has made an average team a subpar one.

18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    They certainly aren’t diamonds … amethyst perhaps . Poorly managed . Tactically clueless . Technically very basic . Horrible to watch . There is no generational talent coming , either . They need to go overseas and grind but they won’t because they can make half decent money in the a league and stay comfortable. Unfortunately the A league is producing homogenised 2nd class football completely devoid of technical or tactical sophistication and is a dead end for developing the next Socceroos .

Lacrim likes this.
  19. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Aus v Peru - tip the score

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Peru 2 (or 3)-Aus 0. Really hope I'm wrong but Graham hasn't beaten anyone seeded higher than 68. Peru are ranked 22nd in the world!

Hate to say it but we're doomed. We could have got thru the easy way but no, we opted for Mission Impossible instead.

Serveman likes this.