The defacto, the dad, the will and the reverse mortgage...

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Property Guts, 17th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Any arguments, the court will decide - end of story ... :eek:

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2021
    Property Guts likes this.
  2. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

There is an update to the juicy story....

First - Thank you for all the suggestions about what my mates dad should do.
    But that's the point - the old bloke - is not going to do anything. Zilch. He doesn't care. The old bloke is enjoying creating uncertainty for those around him. Perhaps a power game, particular in play between the old bloke and the defacto.

The latest twist, as explained by the Defacto.... the old bloke is on a Defined Super Scheme (i think that is what they are called), where he is getting 80% of his last working wage, until he dies. When he dies, any dependents will continue to receive 5/8 of that income. His only dependent is the defacto. So she is claiming that, and that's ok.

I think the issue i want to press here is - and i think we all agree - in a perfect world people sort out their financial affairs while still alive - and communicate those wishes to loved ones . But in reality, love, family, wills and inheritance - is not so simple. Relationships never are.

3. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

yes, every body is happy with the status quo - except the defacto.
    My mate might be right - she's a gold digger!!!!
    Here's to Kanye West

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Does he have a will ? If not he dies intestate and state law specifies who gets what. It doesnt cover the super. Defacto gets a % PLUS all the super.

qak likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Who knows what the real situation is. The OP did say that it is gossip and is all 3rd hand.