Education The Culture of Value Investing From Ben Graham’s & Warren Buffett’s Former Brokerage Firm

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by oracle, 27th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Never knew Tweedy, Browne Company also did investing.

Really enjoyed their interview. Pearls of good wisdom. Hope you enjoy too.

One of the really interesting things mentioned was Berkshire is diversified enough and is a better index to own because of the type of companies included in it are of much better quality compared to what you would find in general market cap index.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Last edited: 27th Oct, 2020
    orangestreet and dunno like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yeah, they started the bonfire burned Hollinger and Lord Black.

3. cberg86

cberg86 Active Member

4. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the vid @oracle I also enjoyed their perspective.

Aligns largely with my take on value investing. Anything can be valued with an adequate understanding to make reasonable assumptions. The differentiation between growth and income is artificial, both can be valued, just the assumption accuracy generally carries different risks. Value investing in my view simply requires a spread between what you subjectively value the underlying business at and what you can buy it for. The bigger the gap at the time of buying the more risk you mitigate and the better your potential for a reasonable return outcome from holding the exposure.

I think of myself as a value investor, but this is my current direct holdings breakdown.
    upload_2020-10-27_12-10-53.png
    Highest concentration in the statistically poor corner of small growth, but its not the first time in my investing life that my take on buying value has seen my portfolio grow into area's that some other who also profess to be value investors would not endorse.

What's in a label anyway. I've always tried to learn from the greats but never really worried too much about what others define the label of value to mean. Labels are too limiting.

oracle likes this.