"The Crash" has been called... end of 2017.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Perthguy, 23rd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

If you believe the crash is coming, why don't you sell out soon then buy again later? If you time this correctly you will be able to set yourself up for life.

Cia, Joynz, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Don't like the agenda media is pushing, doesn't match data. For e.g. South Australia had a rate at 1.89% in arrears, lifting the average. It would be more relevant if the arrears rate was rising in NSW/VIC which is where the data is more relevant.

I think our banks are doing a good job at preventing a bubble burst, as far as I can see it would have to be something external to Australia to cause the bust, unless there is something hidden or implicit problems that we aren't seeing yet.

WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Has your property value increased?

4. nate_au

nate_au New Member

Do these bolded names represent anyone notable? Buyers agents, really? What a set of credentials they have. I might start quoting what I had for breakfast when giving my own commentary.

Most of all I am interested in how fixing rates will protect against the predicted loss of at least one of the Australian financial pillars in 2 years time? Not at all, I would suggest, you will want to have some cash on hand to pay up if this scenario plays out, because that .1% uptick in delinquent loans cited in those articles could quite easily increase 200% times to 20% I am sure........

You might detect a lack of conviction on my part at this point.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Have you got a link to your supposed predicted loss of a financial pillar?

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Just over 7 months to go...tick tock.:p:rolleyes:

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It seriously does not look like the market is going to crash this year. Sydney may be stuttering but Melbourne is steaming ahead. The biggest thing missing is a catalyst.

BillV and HUGH72 like this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The initial catalyst could very well be in place, restrictions on investor borrowing, increased supply of stock with the regulator controlling access to funds. Add to this possible changes to CG tax which will harm market sentiment in some areas and a downturn in Sydney and Melbourne is likely.
    Just like any cyclical downturn but no crash, immigration to these cities is still strong. What will happen in the numerous other markets around the country remains to be seen.

WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Immigration to regional areas is becoming a 'thing' now too. This makes this more interesting for everyone.

Toon and Perthguy like this.
  10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, it really depends on the region. Regional NSW and VIC looks like its going okay whereas population growth is negative in regional WA and slow in many parts of regional QLD.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Perthguy

I agree. But it will be a correction, not a crash. Sydney last died in 2003 and barely had a pulse until 2013. Yet no one calls the boom that ended in 2003 a bubble and no one calls the correction a crash. Well, not unless they are trying to sell books ;)

I wonder what their next prediction will be? o_O

HUGH72 and WattleIdo like this.
  12. supersam80

supersam80 Well-Known Member

It very well could be however do you think the fhb stamp duty changes (in Victoria) will be enough to not just mitigate the above but keep the market going...?

13. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Like Dr Burry:

And as portrayed in the big short:

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Be patient and it will come.

IMO current prices are not sustainable because as interest rates climb higher our borrowing capacity will decline and at the same time, home owners and investors will be hurting so some of them will sell.

In 2007/8 people were hurting because interest rates were significantly higher than they are today.
    BUT today loans are in many cases double what they were back then so interest rates don't have to increase by as much to create the same amount of pain.

If prices don't fall significantly, there will be a very long period of price stagnation as inflation and/or wages will have to catch up.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Perthguy

True but don't forget that while Australians might have record levels of debt, they are also sitting on the largest mountain of cash savings in history: more than a trillion dollars.

https://amp.smh.com.au/business/the...-as-wealth-outpaces-debt-20170330-gv9xv0.html

What impact would this trillion dollars have if there was some kind of US or Irish style crash?

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If the market does not crash.... does anyone mind if I start a new thread 1 January 2018:p

"I am calling the crash end of 2018".......

Barny, BillV and Perthguy like this.
  17. Perthguy

Just start one every year. One year you could be right then call yourself a guru! :)

Iamnumber5, TMNT and MTR like this.
  18. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Its very hard to calculate the impact of interest rate rises and particularly as many people use offset accounts for parking their savings.

But I agree, the ones who have those cash savings are not the people who will be hurting.

As you know the stock market is also due for a big correction.
    I don't know what will trigger it but I recall last time we had a share market crash many investors, professionals and business people were margin called and had to sell properties in order to save their share portfolio

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  19. Perthguy

@BillV I think people have gone off margin loans a bit. I don't know what the value of margin loans is now.

BillV likes this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree. Too many fingers got burnt.... people are ok with using LOCs or cash to use for share purchasing though.

ollidrac nosaj, Perthguy and BillV like this.