The coming war on China

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ouga, 17th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Saw this documentary film by Aussie journalist John Pilger and found it really interesting.
    I won't reveal too much about what it is about, but certainly worth watching for anyone with an interest in the Asia Pacific region in the general sense. Link below, but beware it's almost 2 hours long.

The Coming War On China

Terry_w likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, very good
    Interesting comparison between Chinese and American culture

Ouga likes this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

There won't be a war with China nor Russia.
    The only 2 countries that are a real problem are north Korea and Syria.
    The rest is all doable.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I also agree there won't be a war. Everyone has too much to lose.

balwoges likes this.
  5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

How can someone even think about a war with China? This is not 1950's. The Chinese have come a long way. No one can declare a war on them other than the US/Russia/Japan etc. and they don't have a reason to fight China.

6. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    @hash_investor @jaybean @JDP1 have you guys actually watched the documentary film or are you simply commenting based on the title of the film?
    If you have watched it, it would be interesting to see what from the film has led you to these conclusions.

7. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

No I haven't. Its 2 hours long but I will watch it at some point. This is not the first time I have come across something like this in the media.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The film was not really about China going to war? I recommend you watch it. I don't want to give anything away.

Though I will say US have many skeletons in the closet, an eye opener.

Didn't they just blow up chemical weapons in Syria...???

MTR:)

9. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

The film was interesting, but horribly disjointed.

The US came in for rightful criticism over its actions in Okinawa and the Marshall Islands, but this didn't really contribute to the thesis that China is being encircled by a hostile power.

I'm also really surprised that Diego Garcia wasn't mentioned. An entire population was displaced by the Brits so that the Americans could have a base in the Indian Ocean.

At the same time, I think that China got off too lightly.

The Chinese claim that they're a peaceful nation, who has never invaded another nation. But they'll seize territory on the pretext of historic ownership. Tibet is one case, and the disputed islands in the South China Sea are another. In the latter case, the justification is very flimsy.

As an aside, I remember an exhibit in the Ningbo maritime museum (it's an interesting place to visit) that put the blame on the thirteenth century invasion of Japan on the Mongol rulers, which feels a bit like saying, "A big boy did it and ran away."

I think that a better approach would have been either split the film up into two (one on the US's activities, the other on the US-Chinese "conflict"); or to have drawn more explicit parallels between what the countries have done, and the accusations being made.

truong and Ouga like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.