The coalition is pretty much ignoring Climate Change

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chabs, 30th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I'm just not convinced the data and evidence we are being presented with is in fact a) the truth b) reason for concern. After droughts come floods, whilst we are getting warmer weather other parts of the world are getting colder snaps, my take, weather cycles, how can we be so sure it's not weather cycles, we have data dating back approx 150 years, however the earth has been spinning long before we have been collected/collating weather data.
    There have also been, well known oil and banking families set up companies and organisations to tackle global warming and climate change, these were set up decades ago before the media forced all this global warming stuff down our throat....where there's smoke there's fire right?
    In terms of political discussion and generational branding we will leave that for another day, I don't want to come across like I am having a 'go' at you, like you I am a gen y, I hate(yes strong word) our generation. A select few(quite a large portion) want to change the world but can't change their jocks! Expect everything to be here, now and easy. Again, another chat for another day.
    Disclaimer: I don't argue there is change, however I don't believe it is being caused by humans and I do believe it is more to do with cycles.

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2019
  2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Faith doesn't just apply to religion! It means trust in anything.
    How long has the fancy title of "Climate Scientist" been bandied around?
    My point about the weather which you obviously missed was that how can anyone tell what happened millions of years ago or for that matter in the future when data has only been recorded for a very limited time.
    You may not realise it, but you are preaching your biased view.
    Please enlighten me as to how the weather is not a part of climate?

Silverson likes this.
  3. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Exactly my points/views, records (limited time) show that ice caps had started melting decades before industrial use of fossil fuels/coal etc.

4. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

A bit harsh! Though I do find it interesting that the people I know that support the greens are some of the most well travelled. Air travel and associated travel once landed is a massive use of fossil fuels, kind of selfish to do this to our earth for personal enjoyment no?

5. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

Every choice has a cost, it just depends how you prioritise. Those people that are well traveled may carbon offset, and have no car, and don't eat meat. Each person has a different carbon footprint, and each action could be called selfish.

Joynz, Lizzie and Chabs like this.
  6. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Even if Climate Change isn't real and the earth is naturally going through a warming cycle, why should we be adding fuel to the fire and making a process that takes millions of years into a process that only takes a few centuries.

Yes the earth has had major extinctions before, should we be encouraging the next, even debating whether we should care about our own or what to think of it?

Is it then okay for us to pollute the environment at all costs without regard to the real problems we are causing, simply because the world goes through climate cycles naturally?

Its not just about higher temperatures, dying animals, melting ice and rising sea levels, thats like something we can totally just solve (for a limited period of time, as the world will continue to heat) by moving to higher plots of land with air conditioners, and **** biological diversity right?

It's also about the massive migrations that will happen as lands turn to desert, the challenges with obtaining food, getting nutrition from food, heck even water is compromised, etc.

Australia is one of the first countries to feel the strong brunt.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Regardless whether you believe in climate change or not - the world is changing in how it produces and uses power. Australia either gets on the band wagon or is left behind in the gutter.

I too was a climate change denier but - living in the country on a farm - the changes in what is happening to the weather is too prominent to ignore. We were sub-tropical, but are becoming more southern tropical with humidity over summer - the summer storms (southerly blusters) have all but disappeared - and flowering and plant growth timing has changed dramatically.

For those sheltered by modern technology, and those who are not as in touch directly with nature, don't see the subtle differences - nature is the first to let us know - whether it be the first buds in spring coming on 3-4 weeks earlier, or the Frangipani's not flowering, or the grapes vines re-shooting in April (when they're supposed to be pruned), or you can drive down a country road at dusk and not get a single insect on the windscreen.

Joynz, Propagate and geoffw like this.
  8. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

Read the children’s book of chicken little?

Climate change is a natural occurring event that the world has seen ice ages and heat waves, but is use as scaremongering through fear and emotions!
    NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

If the the case was so serious the people pushing it would lead by example by switching the air cons off etc

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2019
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

One thing I've noticed recently in our part of suburban Sydney is - the spider have all gone!

When we first moved into the area - our back yard was full of various types of orb weaver spiders. Between the eaves and the nearby trees would be a mass of spider webs and I once tried to count the number of individual spiders in an approximately 2m x 2m x 2m area and lost count at around 150.

They were everywhere - you couldn't walk to your car in the morning without walking through a spider web at face height :eek: and then 15 minutes later when you returned, they had rebuilt the web and you walked through it again!

But the last 2 years have seen very very few spiders around. I think this is also having an impact on bird numbers - we aren't seeing anywhere near as many birds in our yard as we have previously. We had a colony of thousands of rainbow lorikeets living in a tree in front of our neighbour's house - at dusk, you could hardly hear yourself think because of all the noise from the birds coming back to roost. They've gone. There's very few magpies or cockatoos, and I'm not even seeing as many miners as before.

For the first time in 20 years of living in Sydney, we've basically left our kitchen window open all summer long, including at night (except in really hot weather), with no fly screens (you'd never do that in South Australia - would get eaten alive!) and have had very few insects come in.

So the insects have gone - the spiders have gone - the birds have gone. Something has definitely changed.

Maybe it's just a localised phenomenon? Who knows!?

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Says the generation that uses more energy & resources than any before them..... using such a premise to create an intergenerational political divide ignores the truth of the matter.

But, I concede, politics is about perception, not truth

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Apr, 2019
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's okay - I thought like you, until I got back in touch with the natural world.

Yes - the climate has been changing forever. Once upon a time dinosaurs roamed Antarctica. It's the rate of change that intensified, and evolution of the natural world can't keep up.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Combination of overuse of pesticides, monoculture farming and climate change

‘Shocking’ decline in birds across Europe due to pesticide use, say scientists

Europe faces 'biodiversity oblivion' after collapse in French birds, experts warn

13. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I noticed when Abbott wanted a royal commission on this, we went to bed and then woke up with a new PM.

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Coalition signs off with a budget tailored for climate denial

The federal Coalition government has delivered its last budget before the May poll, and pretty much finished the way it started in government nearly six years ago: Long term climate and clean energy policies and technologies are ignored, and the focus is on trinkets and handouts.

Don’t worry about climate, or even any other “assets” and themes that have long-term value, such as education and research, seems to be the message. Instead:Look, money! And it’s mostly awarded to people who probably don’t need it.

The cynicism is revealed in both the climate and the energy announcements. In climate, the Coalition appears to have given up all pretence that it is taking its own mediocre policies seriously.

The $2 billion of taxpayers funds it committed in February to its discredited emissions reduction fund, now branded the “climate solutions package,” has already been morphed into a 15-year program with a drip-feed at the start – just $47 million a year over the budget estimates.

Continues
    on link...

Lizzie likes this.
  15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Looks like some boomers don't understand the differences between developing countries and developed countries!
    Have a look how much of the new generation in China and India have been renewable.

Also, if you don't believe in climate action, you're either selfish ("hey, I'll be dead before it gets bad, what do I care?") or stupid.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hey - not all boomers. There is a big sway of them making a lot of noise. There's a lot of the younger generation also in denial

17. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Regardless if you believe in man alter the climate or not
    Reduce emission and put less of the poisonous stuff into the air is always a good thing to do

Lizzie likes this.
  18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Unless you have 100% proof that climate change does not exist, then prudential risk management is vital.

Hands up if you don't have insurance for your assets? If you do have it, how likely do you think it will be that you don't ever use it?

Chabs likes this.
  19. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Insurance companies certainly “have faith” in climate change.

Example: Natural disaster frequencies are up substantially in the US, insurance companies in a lot of high risk regions won’t even offer policies anymore.

A one in 100 year incident in 1970 might be a one in 15 year incident now

20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

For what it's worth my view is neither party or even smaller splinter parties take the issue seriously.

I have had a number of discussions with people who are involved in environmental research I don't have any expertise in the area but I was able to glean some of the issues confronting us with one being human activity exacerbating natural climate change.

Little point in attempting to reduce emissions with electric vehicles if the infrastructure for their use isn't in place. Install as much renewable energy as you like but address storage of base loads. The future needs of data storage and the amount of energy it will require.

If we are in a transition from fossil fuel to renewable commence retraining of various workforces to address that to mitigate the disruption which could ensue.

Whether it was for political reasons or otherwise, Margaret Thatcher, an industrial chemist initially, raised the issue of climate change back in the 1980's. Maybe it'll be a matter at some stage of looking back at that and going "If only."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.