The Case For Splitting The Unit Category

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by gty12, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone agrees with me that due to the popularity of townhouse & apartment development that there is a strong case to divide up the unit category that we all know.

A townhouse & an apartment & even a unit/flat are vastly different beasts, and I feel like the lumping together of all of this is doing each a disservice:
    • Townhouses for capital growth
    • Unit/flats for medium capital growth and medium yield
    • Apartments for pure yield
    Anyone else in agreement/does anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks.

BPhil likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Only hassle I can see is that terminology can differ between states, so you would need clear guidelines to explain which is which.

To me (Brisbane), units and apartments are the same thing.
    Marg

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head there are: townhouses, units, flats, apartments, villas, duplexes, maisonettes and terrace houses. The terminology across states is not consistent and can even vary between real estate agencies within a state.

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that real estate is that predictable anyway. One town house may do well because it has a garden area and the location is good. Another may go down in value because it lacks privacy and detached housing is cheaper or the same price.

5. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

But I certainly think people use the median price index to make their purchase decisions-i.e. some don't even start looking in an area if the median is too high.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.