Entertainment & Music The block... how I hate thee...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Perthguy, 5th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

2. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert!

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I actually live close to the block it was crowded daily these last few days. A good 700k tax free for the winners

Been to the dorcas st townhouses block couple of years ago Coz it was walking distance the workmanship isn't that great but they did put in heaps of high end stuff

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd much rather pay for something which has been well built and expertly finished compared to the bums rush that is the Block. They may use high end fittings but if the shower is going to leak because the tiles went over an uncured membrane layed on green render, I'll pass.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Great viewing. My heart was in my mouth for the final auction :eek:.

Chrispy likes this.
  6. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Dean is a mate of mine from home stoked for them!

JenW, Brian84 and Perthguy like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would be keen to know if all the little things that needed fixing were done after the contestants left. I assume so as buyers would be looking out specifically for those issues clearly raised through the show.

I guess any risk of leaks etc due to screeds not being dry etc is covered by the usual insurances for any building work. It seemed that things were checked and redone if not done properly but you never know with editing. It would be interesting to hear if all the things are rectified and brought to code (ie. remedy the slopes in bathrooms last season Dee and Darryn).

Because it was made an issue of I'm guessing it must have been fixed?

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Word on the street is that filming wrapped about 3 or 4 months ago but the tradies just left. I would say they have been fixing all the mistakes. I know on the last day of filming there were clearly things not done, like a door was not painted properly but on the final inspection the places were all immaculate. There are warranties on the apartments so I would say they have well and truly been brought up to code.

9. Perthguy

Yeah, I am glad for the brother and sister. They did the right thing but it didn't put them in a worse off position. I would not have liked if they did the right thing then only got $50k.

Propertunity likes this.
  10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

i went to the dorcas street townhouses (the block couple of years ago) as it's sort of next door to me. felt the painting was really bad on the stairs etc and there was still some exposed ungrouted areas. Yup there's not something that would cause issues. But still shows there is still a big market for luxury apartments, townhouses like these.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a 3 month long advert for McGraths, suppliers and subbies.

12. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

They actually spend months fixing up lots of stuff with the properties between when the show is finished and when they sell going by previous seasons.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... $700k and I still can't talk hubby into applying ... although after the divorce it would be only $350k each so maybe not

JenW, Brian84, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

15. Perthguy

$810,000 on The Block: Triple Threat back in April, but Charlotte Ekas and Jost Terrett say the cash prize isn’t enough for them to afford a house in Sydney.
    #firstworldproblems

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I guess they want to live among the celebrities and there's a price tag to it.

17. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I think this will recieve (and deserves) more abuse than the man who pad his house off in 3 years

18. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

How about simply lowering you target property. Smacks of FHB syndrome - 'But I want 4 b 3 bath and double garage now".

Get real, it all takes time, simply get into to the market and work hard to make your way up in the market.

19. Perthguy

I agree. I was going to say 'learn the value of leveraging' but I forgot this would be for a PPoR. It's been that long since I have owned a PPoR. My last 2 IP purchases were all over 100% borrowing where I didn't put in a cent of my own money :D

Makes $810k look like a fortune :p

Novel concept: buy the worst house in a good street in a good area and fix it up. Supposedly a 'block' graduate would have at least some renovation skills! :rolleyes:

Handyandy likes this.