Entertainment & Music The block... how I hate thee...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Perthguy, 5th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Not enough fantasy build component?

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure many Sydney or Melbourne people would be intersted in a Block that is set in Perth. Hence The Block has always been set in Sydney or Melbourne.

3. Sonamic

Perhaps. But how much longer can Chanel 9 keep affording to purchase suitable properties in Melbourne? I'm going to go out on a limb and say a suitable inner city Sydney property may be a taaaaaad beyond budget. Currently. Brisbane and Perth are the next of "the big 4" in the popularity stakes, and more affordable. They'll be able to continue doing 2 series a year and feeding the Block Monster. Might even broaden the viewing audience!

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

And that would be my point. We could have Bogan Block :cool:

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Good point. The problem too in buying in Sydney now is end values in around 12 months when they go to sell. Punters hate it when the blockheads don't make loads of cash.

Melbourne properties might be more affordable than Sydney but again... end values in around 12 months when they go to sell. Risky proposition IMO. We haven't even found out if they made money on this series. Though they did pick a good date to go to auction :)

I can't argue with your logic. The Block: Brisbane then The Block: Perth. I would watch that. Time to start a change.org petition :p

Lizzie and Sonamic like this.
  6. Perthguy

Well, the block auction is today but the results won't be announced until Wednesday. So we won't know the outcome until then unless someone goes to the auction and spills the beans.

7. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Yawn. The block is so drawn out and boring. Some of the finished product is pretty amazing though. I didn't mind "my house rules" as the show moved a lot faster and there was less drama.

Brian84 likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yeah house rules was ok. The other thing I liked was because it was actual people's houses not some $2m place.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love all the renovating shows. I love the drama too. I hate the recap of the recap, so always tape it and skip through the constant recaps. I think it is totally stupid that they cannot film it over a longer period so the deadlines are not stupidly tight though.

I would never go on the show though. We would end up divorced :p:D.

It was interesting to see the photos of Susie when she apparently had a meltdown. The spin on the story was that she was exhausted but the photos taken of her topless on a boat during the racing carnival tell a different story. Apparently they were taken by a friend.

10. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more @wylie ! I call the recap shows "recrap episodes". I flick through them as well while they rehash everything I've already seen. It's so boring!

My hubby and I auditioned for The Block a few seasons ago and made it through to the final 8 before we were elimated. In hindsight it's lucky we didn't go on the show as we would be divorced for sure!

Renovating under normal circumstances is challenging enough but add in the extreme time pressure, cameras and producers in your face, structural issues out of your control (eg when Keith's team haven't finished their work in time for you to start yours) - well the pressure would be extreme. No wonder we see a minimum of one meltdown per season. Putting really inexperienced renovators on the show (Susy and Vonnie, Andrew and Whitney) is a mega multi meltdown waiting to happen!

I didn't enjoy the casting in this season, it was good to see a move away from the standard Ken and Barbie in seasons past but I felt this season really lacked passion and creativity.

vtt
    :D

mcarthur and Lizzie like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with vtt on this one ... was disappointed in the casting.

Why on earth would they put complete renovating ignorants into a show like this - yes - I know it was for the drama - but that was simply ridiculous. And - for an interior designer - Ebony is hopeless. Suzi is nothing more than a "look at me, I'm too sexy" hag. Andrew is a total limp whimp. I like Kingi and Caro - Vonnie's okay - Dean and Shay are bland.

The only thing I'm getting out of this season is "why did they do that? If they'd just done .... the room would've been amazing."

Anyhow - time to recover my bedroom lounge today ... I would love to go on the Block, but never with hubby

EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  12. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

13. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Shock horror

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not surprised one iota ... things were not good between them from the start

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

How about The Block: Christmas Island or even The Block: Nauru? No ducking down to Mitre 10, special locks only, feature walls = there is paint on the wall, "building for hostile climates" - 25-30+ degrees all years, avg 12mm of rain every day it rains which is every second day. Sell to Transfield afterwards!

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

TA-DA!!!

17. Perthguy

18. Sonamic

I bet he's upset that she got the money for selling the story. For someone who claims to be a concreting Formworker for a living I think he needs to take a bit of his work home with him and sprinkle a bit on his Fruit Loops in the morning to harden up.

19. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Could someone down south get me out of having to watch it and tell me the final prices and who won? Thanks

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Shay and dean won $655k above reserve and won the extra $100k for highest profit