The biggest risks for property investors (and why you might prefer shares)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Nodrog, 10th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The risks in property that you don't get in shares

oracle likes this.
  2. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

This article is mostly about the dangers of property investors being under insured. It's a bit of a stretch to say this is why you might prefer shares.

larrylarry and Angel like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

"A property investor has safety obligations towards tenants and other users of the property. Things can go wrong in a property such as fires, flooding or falls, to name just a few possible calamities. These issues have the potential to cause hurt to tenants and deliver serious financial consequences for the landlord."

" owners still need to be active. Property managers usually require owner's permission before undertaking maintenance work, so ignoring their reasonable requests is risky and would make it hard to use the manager (and their professional indemnity insurance) as a shield if an accident happens."

"Dawes warns that while a death at a property is every landlord's horror scenario, there are events that have a greater financial liability. "An accident that causes permanent disability can result in a greater payout than a death, given the expense of supporting a victim for potentially decades after the accident."

hahah... Gimme a break.

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2018
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Vacancies
    Tenant damage
    Land tax
    Rates
    Insurance
    Maintenance
    PM fees
    Advertising for tenants
    Tenant complaints
    Rent arrears
    etc, etc

There is a lot not to like with property.

That said, I can't renovate a share. I can't subdivide off the back yard of a share and build a new dwelling that is worth substantially more than the construction cost.

I can't easily leverage shares with a low risk loan like I can with resi property.

There is a lot to like with property :)

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Perthguy would you be able to sleep at night if you'd leveraged 70% of say a 7mil portfolio in the stock market? :D

#saygoodbyetosleep

mikey7 likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Yes but I wouldn't do it. I would buy ETFs and LICs and hold long term. But I would use resi property for security, so no margin calls.

Dividends are good ongoing income and I know that share price fluctuations don't bother me because I have bought shares but never sold them (I am a holder not a seller).

I have sold property though ;)

radson, Brady and Sackie like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And what would you use to build your wealth?:D

8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

For me this is the only thing that I prefer about property. If I could access the same loan terms for shares, I would have a nice PPOR and a big fat diversified equities portfolio.

This residential Property caper for me is just a means to an end.

radson and Perthguy like this.
  9. Perthguy

Leverage. But I would use resi property for security, so no margin calls.

10. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

You can if you have properties as security, I always manage to borrow for shares the same rate
    I got for my PPOR, I always keep my PPOR close to debt free for that reason.

I talk to bank manager I got 1m PPOR, bugger all debt, lend me 300K at the same rate as my PPOR and take my properties for security if I don't pay up.

no margin call, 30 years loan P&I but I usually knocked it off under 10 years, then I come back for another lot rise and repeat

and properties vs shares both have pro and cons, I take the best of both world :)

Francesco and radson like this.
  11. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I do the same, would just rather I could use the shares as security and not need the property in the first place. Plus in my experience the banks don't give enough recognition to dividends as an income stream. I can qualify for a $500K loan for IP with a 2% net yield but not $500K worth of shares with a 5-6% yield - go figure.

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

It’s a well known fact that property is evil and Shares are the power of all that is good:).

13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

There are some Telstra shareholders at present that would disagree.

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Just like there’s out of favour property at certain times there’s out of favour shares. Fortunately with shares one can buy almost the entire market. Diversification property investors can only dream about. Do that and who cares what’s happening with Telstra.

No litigation risk, no baggage, no expenses, no tenant / PM hassles, no maintenance / repairs, no massive transaction costs, no hassles of any sort, nothing to do but just relax and watch the dividends hit the bank account. Bliss on a stick.

radson and balwoges like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You made my point . I'm not anti stocks ( recently acquired an ETF/Lic portfolio) myself .

Still yet to see a single person on here ( not saying you can't im sure many ppl have) who made millions in net worth ( not talking cf) from stocks where the risk was moderate for the leverage (if they dared) used.

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2018
  16. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Here are a list of thing why you should stay out of stock market
    Shares can go down to Zero
    Telstra scare or name any business on any given day
    Market crash
    Fraud
    Manipulation and go it go :)

17. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Not here, plenty of people make a lot of money on stock market, they usually don't brag about it
    the one that do has a system that make them money and they keep it close to their chest.
    they don't advertise, they don't sell anything, no need to when you can rake in.

18. Perthguy

It's a property forum after all.

Join a share forum and you may get those stories

19. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the historical total returns of residential australian property vs ASX shares?

Assuming same leverage (or no leverage) it would be good to see how the total returns (income + capital appreciation) compares over 10,20 and 50 years AFTER taking into account property expenses (council rates, water rates, insurance, strata, repairs, land tax, vacancy and especially factoring in costs for major renovations that should occur every 20 to 30 years)

Benefits of Property:
    Property has its benefits in that people need somewhere to live and so the drawdowns are not as large as shares
    AND since its much more illiquid you have more time to get out
    AND they usually follow regular cycles so you can time the market better than shares or jump from different markets (follow the Syd->Melb->Qld? trend)
    AND if your smart you can add value (development, renovation, air bnb) to multiply your gains
    AND market is inefficient and you can make big gains if you know something everyone else does not( undervalued , lazy agent, new rezoning laws, thinking outside the square for a development eg triplex site instead of duplex)

But god i really really hate all the stupid tenant requests, so many ridiculous taxes and fees, and biased laws favouring tenants plus potential changes to negative gearing.

Im going to try and get a 50/50 mix of property/shares (ETFS/LICS)

Tom Rivera and Sackie like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Whatever you’re smoking can you please tell me where I can get some:).

wombat777 likes this.