The Airbnb Story

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Redwing, 4th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hadn't read this before re: Air Bed and Breakfast

How 3 guys turned renting an air mattress in their apartment into a $25 billion company

Long before Airbnb persuaded strangers to sleep in one another's homes and became a $25 billion company, it was just an idea to make extra bucks and make rent.

After their first guests, Airbnb's founders realized they were on to something bigger than a stopgap for rent. They faced rejection plenty of times — and created their own version of Obama O's cereal — but the three founders of Airbnb have built a big business in the past nine years.

Here's how they turned their idea to rent out an air mattress into a business that has the hotel industry running scared.

Worldwide, there are now more than 4 million homes posted on Airbnb.

Lone_Wolf likes this.
  2. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

While I do admire their business model, at the same time, this form of (resource sharing business models inc Uber and other), are actually cannibalizing growth for other business opportunity on a wider scale, which in turn causes loss of job opportunities, and investments into new infrastructures, which again, job loss.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Disagree... if it's easier, cheaper etc.... its progress. People don't use horse and carts to move goods anymore.

4. Redwing

There's nearly more than 5 Million homes listed on Airbnb in 81,000 cities

The top 10 destinations of inbound guests are the United States, France, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, Japan, Canada, Australia, Germany, and Portugal.

The United States had the most Airbnb listings as of August 2017 with 660 thousand listings.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We've stayed at Airbnb not only in Australia, but Japan & Singapore as well. In Japan we got the penthouse in a very small set of units. It was lovely! We also got the most dodgy place I've ever stayed at. I can't remember the exact number of bedrooms it said that it had, but it was just an open room with two beds, plus extra mattresses in a cupboard. Not at all what we thought we were getting, & not the same as the photos either. We ended up giving a very bad review & got a refund for that one.

EN710 and Gockie like this.
  6. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

bob shovel likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I think it cause existing, sometimes big old behemoth, businesses to get innovative with their approach. They can no longer do the same old thing and expect to come out unscathed.

I have not used airBNB - usually doesn’t make much sense for domestic travel for 2 people (similar cost as hotel), and I like facilities from hotel

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I alsolistened to the this
    Great story!
    They were very smart worrh their approach following demand areas hosting events worrh a shortage of accom.

And they seem like positive business role models

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

You miss the point of economics. Economics, in some respects, is all about the most efficient allocation of limited resources. Labour is one of those limited resources. If less labour is used to produce cars and drive taxis then on a macro level this is a good thing. Certainly not good in the short term for those in the transport industry, but labour will be put to a better more efficient use that otherwise would have been tied up in unnecessary production, if, we built stuff just for the sake of jobs.

For example, the industrial revolution caused massive disruption to the agricultural industry and millions of people were no longer needed to work the land. This freed up labour for the manufacturing industry driving the price of textiles and other goods down for the consumer. Meanwhile, today, agriculture makes up a tiny fraction of the employment statistics, our population has multiplied several times and.... we have low unemployment.

New technologies do not destroy jobs. They figured this out 200 years ago. People still go on about it. Ever heard of a luddite?

Pentanol likes this.
  10. Gockie

Yep. I was thinking exactly the same but didn't have the time to explain at lunchtime!
    :)

11. Redwing

People are building business via Airbnb

You can even stay in Airbnb and engage in activities hosted by locals i.e. practice yoga in maui with miniature goats

upload_2018-4-21_18-29-32.png

To quote Darwin: “It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change.”

Not that I have an Airbnb yet, I do find it interesting though

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We stayed in an Airbnb where the owner also ran classes in yoga and the like. My wife participated (for free) in a gentle exercise class one of the days we were there.

13. Gockie

Nice!

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Taking on board your point, what % of Airbnbers were hotel customers, hostel customers, business travellers, stayers with relatives/friends to determine the real impact.

Are there any stats to determine the effects on the accommodation industry? Has it been offset by cheaper air fares? Growth in the market?

15. geoffw

That's not what the research is saying
    Economic effects of Airbnb in Australia | Deloitte Australia | Deloitte Access Economics report, Tourism, Hotels, Sharing economy
    Various studies conclude that there is an impact to the hotel industry, however, this impact is not as big as it may initially seem. Many people travel and use Airbnb who would not have been travelling in the first place with hotel prices. The overall impact on jobs is very positive.

That report references individual state reports. So for the ACT

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I can't answer for the whole industry.....but I can for myself.

Long before Airbnb, our family used to regularly go interstate for competitions. We didn't have a lot of disposable income back then & while everyone else looked to Motels & Serviced Apartments, we usually found accommodation using Stayz. So, I guess we were already using that same space, it was just a different name. We don't do shared accommodation, so didn't look at Airbnb until the last few years, when we realised that you could get a whole home/unit to rent.

17. geoffw

Stayz is a little more between Airbnb and hotels. It's more like private boutique purpose built accommodation. But Stayz is changing anyway. It was bought out by a US company (HomeAway) and is in the process of being rebranded.

I like the share aspect myself, I've met some great people, and some still are friends years later. It's a great way to learn about a destination from the people who know it best. But my wife doesn't generally, and I can understand that too. The exercise class thing was a rare venture into shared accommodation. Cleanliness can be an issue if you're an extremely cleanliness aware in any private type accommodation, shared or not.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not the ones we've stayed at. We usually stayed in a 3 bedroom house. Not boutique, but usually nice. Just an average fully furnished home. We did stay at one that was a little dodgy at one time. Clean, but old & in need of money spent on it.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of staying with other people, even if I know them. I prefer my own space.

balwoges and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We've used stayz before - some waterfront townhouse on a non descript gated community around a golf course. But it was before Airbnb.

Not into the 'shared' thing, I want my own 4 walls, front door & facilities .

skater likes this.
  20. Gockie

I've listed the same property on both stayz and airbnb so really, you can find the same properties on both sites. As a host, the stayz platform wasn't as user friendly as the airbnb one. I also used booking.com, but the guests are often flaky and unreliable on there.