The 3 Levels of Wealth

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Redwing, 5th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Fair enough - I am pretty sure there are alot of properties in the expensive postcodes are not PPOR.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

So have a PPOR on the largest block with the nicest house one can afford (especially in retirement).

We live in a really nice house on 5 acres - no land tax, council rates are roughly double that of our IPs (on 600sqm) and building insurance is based mainly on replacement value.

I don’t believe expensive postcodes are that much more costly to live in, especially when one takes into account lifestyle and capital growth.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

Observer and lettert like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Yes there is a lot to be said for living in a expensive ppor in terms of cgt and estate planning.

esp liked terryws tip on effectively having two cgt free properties upon death.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
    kierank likes this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Easy fix - don’t live in ACT :p.

5. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i thought safer areas = cheaper insurance,

talk about living in most expensive postcode but complain about small things like insurance and council rates.

@.@.

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I don't think you fail it's just your choice.
    I also don't think it's silly it depends on someone's perceived value in monetary terms, wouldn't you agree?
    If a $2K Grange represents say 0.1% of your earnings or even a lesser % of your net worth, say like a cost of cup of coffee to someone elses relative terms then why not buy it occasionally if one desires?
    It's really a personal choice on what real wealthy spend. Some of my friends prefer to buy Granges or like younger and then let them lie for 10-20 years to enjoy their maturity that way.
    True financial wealth should provide the choice for one's desires where to spend, not what consumerism or conformity dictates, IMHO.
    Some will spend on expensive alcohol, others jewellery, others houses, others flights or cars and so on, to me there's no defined rule, but rather a personal choice what one values!:)

hobo, lettert and wylie like this.
  7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I don't want me, my wife, my children or future grandchildren to ever get to the "what are prices" level.
    Easy to become a horrible person on that level.

significance and See Change like this.
  8. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

I turn the big 5-0 this year so bought a bottle of 1970 Grange to celebrate the big day. I know its wasteful but what the hell. You only live once and what's the point of money if you can't indulge a little bit every now and again. Grange isn't my usual tipple...

Redwing, Stoffo, Morgs and 1 other person like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I spew when the takeaways charge $3.50 for a chiko roll. I then refuse to buy the accompanying can of coke from them. Instead I go to a nearby bakery and get a can for $1.30.....$4.80 for lunch is not baaaad lol. Cholesterol and sugar levels are a tad high though.

Ben_j likes this.
  10. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

easy, but not everyone will,, human values, if you think like this now, i am confident you will do fine