Sports & Fitness The 2017 Melbourne Cup Race Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 2nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So I know absolutely nothing about horse racing. Every year just for some fun I spend $100 divided by 5, so I put $20 on 5 horses with the highest paying odds (therefore unlikely to win) and hope one of them comes first place. if I win something I want it to be 'big' and not like $41.20. It worked 2 years back by some fluke and the odds paying was like 76 to 1 with $20 on it :) Will be doing the same this year.

Anyone betting ? Tips? strategies? Favourite to win?

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2017
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The bookies will be the big winners this year.

Redwing likes this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I just pick the one with the name I like the most and the jockeys top that i think looks the best. I think it is all a big guess with the horses.

Joynz likes this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I certainly won't lose.

I never place money on things which have four legs (or put money in those odious pokies.) It's as dumb as, in my view.

Having said that actually watching a horse race is magnificent. They are simply beautiful at full stretch. Unless you're attending the Adaminaby races, in which case the donkey's are the pinnacle of "horse" flesh.

5. Scott No Mates

Don't forget the Dedarang race day in January - a great day out.

SatayKing likes this.
  6. SatayKing

May as well disrupt this thread. Stoney Creek in Vic. Always was a sight seeing the local bookies breaking their fingernails as they scraped the last five cents out of the bag after being wiped out by educated money on a bolter with cricket score odds.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

8. SatayKing

Leaving on Friday for a few weeks away (Victoria and South Australia) so Bong Bong isn't a goer this year. It is very pretty place too - once you can spot the scenery through the drunken hordes.

Much the same as a lot of attendees at Melbourne Cup (see what I did there?)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Nah, going this weekend. The Bong Bong weekend I will be down in Canberra for a volleyball tournament :)

11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Years ago saw a group of guys carry a coffin into the Bong Bong races full of ice and grog. Probably wouldn't be allowed today.
    Melbourne Cup is always a fun day no matter where you watch it, even if you are not a horse buff.

Sackie likes this.
  12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Our family and friends just make it a great dress up day, great for Australian economy, on the fascinators we spend...?
    Yes, that's the only time I bet on horses usually picked out buy the computer, that's all!
    For us the priority is spending time with the close ones!

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't be bothered even watching the race, or any of the lead up to it. It amazes me that it is such a big day.

I also cannot help but think how much good could be done with just the money dropped on that single day if it went to a charity instead.

Propagate likes this.
  14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Some of us do just that, give to both!
    But I also think it helps the economy, if we just saved and never spent on anything, then how would the economy perform? But I agree, we can spend on more worthwhile things, I suppose it comes to balance of things, of balancing your life, right?
    I just think people earn wages on that day, government will get taxes, clubs/retailers will generate some profit from people's buys, etc....

15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I think for a lot of people this is the only day they have a flutter on the ponies. Agree that a huge amount is punted away that could be put to better use. I believe many people get together tomorrow for a fun day; possibly even dress up and enjoy one another's company. I don't see why it amazes you that it is such a big day; it is seen as the Sport of Kings.

16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Ok, I am a novice at this but have been told today (by interstate family member) I can pick a number of horses, say 8 and then I can box them as trifecta, now the 100% would cost $336.00 so you can place a bet of say half 50% at $168.00. I think this is quite good as you have a choice of 8 horses and if 3 will come then you will be paid 50% of the winnings? The amount you can bet can vary hence would represent the % of the payout if you wish to bet less or more...
    I wonder if anybody has ever done this and won anything?
    I also think you can vary the number of horses you wish to box as trifecta but I am unsure of the costs hence you would need to find out....
    Good luck!

Sackie likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Good luck . Ill post my horses once I buy the tickets. I'm keeping it simple. Choosing highest odds for 5 horses, putting $20 each horse for a win at 1st place.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I went to the Peninsula Cup races at Mornington (Vic) a couple of days ago.

We got a spot on the lawn, about 5m from the track.

I didn’t bet - and I’m not a racing enthusiast - but the sight and sound of the horses thundering past was magnificent.

Sackie likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I guess it amazes me because I have zero interest in horse racing. And people in the industry, and in the TV industry and just the "housewives of Melbourne" types think they are very sophisticated until they get absolutely drunk and start making asses of themselves. Alcohol is a great leveller.

I just see it as a wast of money but every horse race is the same. This one just is much bigger.

If "someone" who could do it just took 1% of the money taken that day and donated it, that would be great.

I guess the government makes money from horse racing, and maybe some of that goes to people in need?

20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Only having one bet..Almandin no-2..I like this jockey Frankie Dettori ..
    F Dettori ..Quote..
    When I win everyone waves tell's me i'm a winner..
    When I don't they all give me finger ..