Entertainment & Music That Sugar Film

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. charpj

charpj Well-Known Member

Read the China Study

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

Kesse likes this.
  3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I'll humour you.

A 500g jar of Dolmio Bolognese Sauce contains 29g of sugar, divided between 5 people is 6 grams, hardly packed with sugar.

The recommended daily intake of sugar is 90g's, Intake recommendations are based on what is recommended daily for the average adult and your actual needs might be lower or higher.

5. Perthguy

I was the worst sweet tooth I know before I switched to eating less processed foods. Every meal or snack I ate all day included a food or foods with process sugar added. I felt like I craved sugar all day. After dinner when I got sugar cravings, if there was no dessert, I made up icing in a cup and at ate it out of the cup. So good! :) If I bought something like party mix from the shops I wouldn't stop eating it until the bag was empty. Even though it made me feel sick :( I think that is about as hard core "sugar addict" as you can get. All that sugar is not healthy though. Eating that much sugar without balancing it out with nutritious foods made me really sick.

I read the 'sweet poison' propaganda before I quit sugar and found it fascinating and disturbing. They simply switch one type of sugar for another type of sugar but still eat processed junk food. Not good. When I quit, I quit cold turkey. I ate fruit instead of sugar. The interesting thing is that my 'sugar cravings' disappeared overnight. I have never again had 'sugar cravings'.

I found it surprisingly easy actually. I read the horror stories and prepared myself for a bumpy ride but it was nothing like that. All it took was a change to my mental attitude towards food, being prepared in advance for what I would eat and when and taking the time to organise healthy alternatives in all the places I like to eat (desk at work and bench at home). For me, healthy eating starts in the supermarket, so I simply refused to buy the foods I chose not to eat. After that it is really easy not to eat them because they are not there to eat!

It is very liberating to be able to choose what to eat and when, rather than feeling 'driven' to eat certain types of foods (processed, sugary foods) many times a day. I don't miss it. :)

Passata. :) And contrary to the above, it is good for men to eat cooked tomatoes. Lycopene.

Gockie likes this.
  6. Perthguy

I switched to passata. It has less sugar and I prefer the taste. I agree though that this is not the end of the world when it comes to sugar. There are hundreds of products in supermarkets that have a lot more.

WHO recommends 50 grams of sugar a day and suggests reducing to 25 grams per day would provide additional health benefits.

WHO | WHO calls on countries to reduce sugars intake among adults and children

I think it depends what else you are eating. No sugar, no fruit and no veg is low in sugar but not healthy. Moderate sugar with loads of fruit and veg would be preferable.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yet that same serve contains 20% of your recommended daily salt intake.

Canned tomatoes probably have a similar problem.

8. Perthguy

You don't want to go too low salt. Recent research indicates to low salt is a health risk too.

There have been new research studies making their way to headlines. Take an observational study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in March. Researchers followed 3,681 middle-aged Europeans who did not have heart disease or high blood pressure for about 8 years. Those with the lowest consumption of sodium (<2500mg) were more likely to die from heart disease than those consuming 3900mg and more!
    Is Salt Really the Enemy? « Food and Fitness

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and I'm sure the pasta was highly processed white pasta (personally our family loves the wholemeal at 3x the price) ... and I do like the premium mince as significantly less "oil" to drain off

But rather than comparing the cost of "making" versus "takeaway" - compare apples with apples. A packet of 6 homebrand mince pies for around $5 - with a bag of oven ready chips $3 - loaf of white bread $2 - and there you have another $10 family meal but with no nutrition - quick and easy to prepare for someone on a low income who has never learnt to cook ...

Actually makes me feel yuck thinking about a meal like that - but there you go. As for pasta - I like make my own sauce from Australian tinned tomatoes if I don't have them fresh out of the garden (check there is nothing but tomato in the tin), garlic, basil, onion, capsicum and a few dried herbs - throw in a big bunch of spinach - premium mince - wholemeal spaghetti - and top with some shaved cheese ... yummo

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There was another sugar film on free to air last night, SBS I think so you could hopefully view it on Catch Up. It was mainly about marketing sugar and funding "biased" research, same as the tobacco industry has done.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Well; I've managed to reach 54 and still pretty slim and healthy, so I'd argue against spag is not that good.

True; spaghetti is a not the best thing you can eat if you have loads of it each week, but with tomato based sauces and not cream based sauces it's not so bad - like all things; spaghetti as a meal when consumed in moderation.

A lot of the problem with spaghetti is what's eaten along with it, or drunk along with it.

I used the spaghetti dish to highlight the point of cost to eat more healthy.

You could also use tuna omelet as a good example on cost and a healthier alternative as well.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2016
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It was:

The Sugar Conspiracy

Caught the show and thought it great - and very interesting - especially how the majority of "sugar research" is actually funded by sugar related food industries (ie, Macca's, Coke etc) as the government has slashed funding ... therefore the data gets skewed to support those funding.

Comparable to how the tobacco industry was funding smoking research 50 years ago and came up with the finding that smoking is good for you.

Still craving a batch of homemade ginger butter biscuits tho ... tell myself they're health-ish because I put in around 10 times the amount of ginger as the recipe says.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My tenants are lovely people but I think they give their kids (5 years and under) iceblocks and softdrinks as everyday foods. I think that because that's what they offered me when I came around... :eek: :oops:
    Ps. The Maccas cheeseburger test... a week in a bag at room temp... -->still looks the same...

Doncossack likes this.
  14. Bayview

We give our kids iceblocks with squeezed juice from fruit in them from time to time..

Or water.

15. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

There are a couple of 14 and 20 year old burgers that have popped up in the past couple of years. Actually scary how much they look like new!

16. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Suggest you read my post again, the same serve contains less than 4% of your recommended daily salt intake, again hardly packed with salt.

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

According to DOLMIO Extra Bolognese Pasta Sauce 500g | Extra Bolognese Pasta Sauce 500g one 125g serve contains 19% of daily allowance. That single serve contains 7.3g of sugar which is 1/4 of the 29g you mention; the only difference is that you've served to 5 people and not 4.

18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Yep, your right, rushing to enjoy my Friday night pizza and beer, missed the 125g, assumed 500g.

I didn't serve 5 people, Bayview was serving 5 people with his recipe, thus 15% daily sodium allowance per person, and 6g of sugar per person, being 6.5% daily sugar allowance per person

geoffw likes this.
  19. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Haha. You guys (and this forum) are amazing!

From discussing IPs to eating healthy....and everything in between :p

I try to eat healthy and feed my family food cooked from scratch. I've got various gizmos to help me like breadmaker to make our own wholemeal bread, airfryer for healthier frying, thermomix to make food from scratch etc. But it still takes up a lot of time. Hence sometimes I have to cut corners and try not to feel so guilty. I look at labels and avoid food with long list of ingredients (especially ones with numbers and unpronounceable names)

Next big thing is sugar. Your personal experience is inspiring, @Perthguy

Will watch the sugar movie with the kids

20. Bayview

Have cut out the midweek wine, but tonight is Sat night, so I'm going to have at least 2 glasses of white wine, and a fairly large chunk of a Cadbury's family block....so you can all go and get stuffed. :p

Lizzie, Blacky and JenW like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.