Entertainment & Music That Sugar Film

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yes, but maybe 1 out of 10 will appreciate being gently nudged on their food choices. The other 9/10.... this is why you can't say to random overweight people you are eating badly. They have to own it, take responsibilty. Once someone tells you that they are trying to lose weight however... then no holds barred. :)
    Agree. I have a work colleague who I suspect had gastric banding surgery since she lost a massive amount of weight very quickly. But then she put a lot of weight back on in a few months or a year. Not quite as much as she had before but still overweight.
    Oh well.

Terry_w likes this.
  2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Type 2 diabetes can, not Type 1 which is unrelated to lifestyle choice or eating habits.

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Just type 'That Sugar Film youtube' into google. It's there - can watch the whole thing.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Its really simple. People wont change their habits unless their reasons are compelling enough to change.

That's why most people break their new years resolutions. Just because someone might say "this year I am going to lose 15kg' , its means nothing if their reasons for wanting to change are not compelling enough for them to follow though.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2016
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What really ***** me is when parents are buying their son/daughter another burger with fries when their kids are obviously very overweight. It's child abuse. Totally unacceptable in my books.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The latest Woolies commercial (never shop there either) is a good case in point; the busy Mum running around organising stuff (I think for Xmas?) and she is clearly a size 18 or 20 (in the olden days "true" meaurements)...unfortunately; she represents how yer typical looking average Mum out in the burbs of masses looks today.

Go back 40 years and a person of that build would never ever get a gig as "talent" in an ad on the teev or in a magazine etc.

The large Corps have worked out what the norm is now, and they are playing to that audience so as to not offend their potential customers and future customers.

But it's not restricted to just the girls; many many ads now depict blokes who are pudgy, soft, sickly white and unkempt - look like they need a week in the sun and a visit to the health farm and get away from the computer screen for once in their lives....again; catering to the masses of customers who are now of this appearance.

This just normalises being overweight.

I'm not saying they should all look like cat-walk models or ultra-fit athletes; just healthy looking and relatively trim and in-shape - but that might offend.

And of course; what have I just seen on the teev? There is a very strong chance that the main ad contender for the Super-bowl ad slot - which is one of the most expensive ad slots on Earth - is going to be?...............an ad for Doritos.:eek:

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2016
    Doncossack likes this.
  8. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

It's not just that.
    In 1974 people consumed about 7.5kg of sugar per year.
    Now we are up to 45kg+.
    This is because our palets are getting sweeter.
    Also because of the 90's there was the diet craze, where everything became "low fat", but was supplemented with sugar so to not compromise taste.
    It is something like 92% of all products in supermarkets contain added sugar, that's why they say eat from the far left and far right isles of the supermarket and nothing in between.

It is our choices, but it is the choices we have been given by the companies to eat that is causing this.

Mark my words, sugar is the tobacco of the 21st century..

Never before have doctors seen 14 year olds with type 2 diabetes, and they do not have a proper plan to treat them for their entire lives as they have not previously had to treat a diabetes patient for 50+ years..

It is not exercise, calories in calories out eat low fat. It is the proliferation of sugar in our foods today that don't give you a chance, unless you eat straight fruit and veg, no white bread, nothing at all from packets, like we did 40 years ago then maybe. Otherwise it is near on impossible to maintain weight, Nevermind loose it, the sugar is turned to fat so quickly that you do not have the chance to burn it. Your body stores it and treats it differently than other energy sources..

Angel, Bayview and Kesse like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hehe common. There are heaps of healthy people in shape. I don't buy it. You can eat whatever you want to. Everything in moderation. Self control. Healthy choices. The supermarket may be filled with many crap foods but it's our choice what and how much we eat and exercise. Alcohol is also another belly creator that aussies love.

Even if the supermarkets make it tough for us, ultimately we are responsible for what goes in. My partner eats everything. Packet foods, chocolate, ice cream cakes. .all the bad stuff. But she's slim as anything.

It's all in moderation. And self control.

It's like wanting to own your own home or building a portfolio. It's not easy, many challenges along the way. Takes commitment, a plan, good daily habits and with perseverance it's very doable.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2016
    Bayview likes this.
  10. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

The exercise side of it sure doesn't help either though. Bad diets combined with more and more sedentary lifestyles is a killer combination.

It doesn't help at all that you pay such a premium to eat healthy.

I don't know how many people have watched the movie "Branded", it's not a terribly good movie but the overall plotline is scary when you take a step back and look around, basically that big corporations use advertising to create norms so they can push products.

11. Greyghost

That is another false statement.
    "It is expensive to eat healty".
    How?

Pre packaged foods, pies, drinks etc are heaps more expensive than buying carrots, broccoli, apples etc.

People are just lazy and don't buy outside of the supermarket as they are time poor, so pay the price for such foods in the supermarket when it is half the price at the green grocer.

It is not more expensive to eat clean.
    I wouldn't even call it eating healthy, I'm sick of people calling it that, it is just not eating bad or poorly.

Just don't buy anything pre packaged and as much raw or unprocessed products as possible (not talking about organic etc). Eg buy your own oats, sultanas and bran - mix. Own musli..
    Etc etc

Bayview and Sackie like this.
  12. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Bad habits are hard to change unless you have a really strong reason why you want to change. The 'how' falls into place easily once you have the 'why' sorted.

Sackie likes this.
  13. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. I eat extremely well, 90%-95% of food in our house is unprocessed. Even our sourdough is handmade. My wife has an insulin resistance (always been thin, eaten well whole life, just poor draw of the cards unfortunately) - and so we don't even have any form of refined sugar in the home (maple syrup and honey are another story ;) ).

BUT it's certainly not cheaper to eat this way. We struggle to spend <$1000 a month on food for the two of us. It's a high priority in home our so we don't skimp on things, but the only way that I've seen other families feed their families notably cheaper is by buying the processed foods.

SerenityNow likes this.
  14. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

I also tend to agree that eating healthy is expensive - costs shoot up way more if you choose to go organic, free-range, etc but I guess that's another story.

It's not just being lazy. Time = money. I tend to get my groceries from coles/woolies, because I can't bother the trek to the greengrocer's for slightly fresher (same price) fruits and veggies. For families who are poor, stressed, short on time, it can be easier to just get some frozen pizzas and stuff. I think it takes at least twenty minutes to cook lentils, but baked beans take 30seconds to reheat. I don't have kids, but I imagine it would be hard to give them "healthy lunches" when all their friends get cookies and sandwiches for lunch. When I was a member at Costco, I was shocked at how cheap and unhealthy their foods were.

Also, maccas tends to have supervised, air-conditioned play areas for kids, so I assume some parents like to take advantage of those facilities.

I think the cards are stacked against people with lower incomes, less free time, and maybe less time to learn about healthy eating. They've got it even harder if their parents took them to maccas all the time when they were kids (an occasional treat shouldn't matter) and they learned to eat at maccas daily.

15. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I should also add that once our home renos are finished, my wife will be starting up the fruit trees, veggie gardens, chooks, etc. That should definitely help.

SerenityNow likes this.
  16. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Disagree completely.

Just looking at things like rice... White Rice is $1.80kg compared to Brown Rice at $2.50kg, that's basically 40% more expensive for a product that requires less refining to make, it's a pure healthy food surcharge. Black Rice is $11.44kg, so even more of a surcharge to eat better. Quinoa is even more again.

Turkey costs more than Chicken (admittedly both healthy but Turkey is healthier), Salmon (Seafood in general) in vastly more expensive than beef. Almond milk is more expensive than dairy milk.

Breads are no different, the cheapest breads are the worst breads and they basically scale in price the better they are for you.

This is ignoring that places like KFC will sell you wings cooked for the same as you can buy them raw at Coles, McDonalds sell a burger for what a chicken breast costs at Coles.

I guess you can argue it's fair to pay more for better food which is why I think a tax on the bad food would be a great idea, if White Rice cost more than Brown Rice, far more people would take the healthly option instead of the unhealthy option.

Lizzie and SerenityNow like this.
  17. Greyghost

I still disagree.

Green beans a bag of carrots, rice and some cheap fish, chicken, mince.

What do you define as healthy?

I'm comparing this to potato gems, meat pies, sausages, stew out of tins, kantong, pre made sauces etc.
    Plain milk vs big m.
    Semi prepared vs raw (chopped mushrooms vs whole for eg)
    Ice cream compared to a chopped apple.
    Almonds compared to a big packet of chips.

Yes there are premium foods such as avocados, super foods etc that are more expensive I agree.

My partner is a paediatric dietician.

This topic is her passion.

Apart from dealing with infants that fail to thrive (working in a hospital) she does a clinic for obese teens.
    She hears the same stories over and over.
    It is a total lie that it is more expensive to eat properly. Totally...that is what the big companies want you to believe.
    They spend millions on their marketing and product placement to hinder you at every chance.

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I have been borderline morbidly obese and I tried the "everything in moderation" "balanced diet" "conventional wisdom" thing. It didn't work for me. I find that highly processed food make me feel abnormally hungry a while after eating them. They are actually engineered to do that. Feeling constantly hungry leads me to overeat. I find when I eat less processed foods, I feel less hungry and eat less. To me "Everything in moderation" is an excuse that the "normals" give the "obese" to blame them for having a lack of self control. Having been borderline morbidly obese and eating myself back to a "normal weight" IMO that is a load of rubbish. Food choices do matter. When I ate less processed foods I didn't need "self control" to regulate how much I ate. That was dictated by my perception of hunger which was directly related to the foods I chose to eat. It's not just something I imagined either. There has been research done into this which confirms my view.

People overeat because their hunger directs them to consume more calories than they require. The purpose of this study was to analyze the changes in experience and perception of hunger before and after participants shifted from their previous usual diet to a high nutrient density diet.
    A high micronutrient density diet mitigates the unpleasant aspects of the experience of hunger even though it is lower in calories. Hunger is one of the major impediments to successful weight loss. Our findings suggest that it is not simply the caloric content, but more importantly, the micronutrient density of a diet that influences the experience of hunger.​

Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet

This matches my experience exactly. I reduced the number of calories I was eating but became significanly less hungry.

Lucky her. I did that and became borderline morbidly obese.

I don't agree, see above.

I agree. But good daily habits, in my experience, means eating a minimal amount of highly processed foods and eating mainly less processed foods. The proportion of highly processed foods matter.

Sorry to go on and don't take this personally but having been fat and going back to being slightly overweight now, I really think people underestimate the impact of the food they are eating on their behaviour and perceptions of hunger. Imagine if the food you ate made you feel hungry, so you ate more of that food and it made you hungrier and you ate more and it made you hungrier still? I lived that every single day. By the time I got home from work I felt weak and shaky. I was literally shaking from hunger and would raid and cupboard and fridge and eating anything to make that unfathomable feeling of hunger go away. I was also extremely emotionally unstable because of this. If I got interrupted before I could "feed" I would start yelling, and yelling. If a shrink had seen me throw a tantrum like that they would have diagnosed me as mentally unstable. It's really ridiculous actually.

Anyway, I spent quite a lot of time researching what could be wrong and it came down to food choices. Too much processed foods even though I was gradually losing weight at the time. It's basically malnutrition because there aren't sufficent nutrients in highly processed foods to meet basic nutrient requirements. I set a date and from that date at mainly minimally processed foods and very little of highly processed foods and zero "ultra" procsessed foods. My hunger basically dissapeared overnight. It wasn't long after I started that I came home from working feeling a bit hungry, decided to go for a run, came back and found out there was no food, walked to the shops, bought ingredients, walked back home, cooked dinner and I still wasn't feeling as hungry as before when I came home feeling weak and shaky. That is a massive change in hunger levels and it's not related to calories. I was eating less calories after I switched to nutrient dense foods but feeling almost not hungry. There is something wrong with food that makes you feel hungry and want to eat more. I believe it's deliberate.

Catalyst, Lizzie, SerenityNow and 4 others like this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thanks for sharing @Perthguy. :)

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Having eating a diet of mostly highly processed and ultra-processed foods compared to a diet of minimally processed foods, I agree. It is definitely cheaper to eat properly. It takes a little more organisation and a little bit more time to eat properly, but not much. I have compared the time to cook a healty meal from scratch vs ordering a pizza, driving to the pizza shop and returning home. Cooking from scratch was quicker. I tend to cook up big batches of base foods on the weekend and freeze them. It saves a lot of time during the week. It does take a bit of effort to make a healthy lunch vs buying lunch for work. I guess the question is 'what price health"? It certainly cheaper to take lunch to work. My take to work lunch costs a couple of dollers at most. A healther bought lunch is $7 to $11.50. It certainly adds up over time.

Gockie likes this.