Entertainment & Music That Sugar Film

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I must admit I don't understand all the different forms of sugar. Is it good to drink pulverised juice made from real fruit without any added ingredients?

2. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I can't stand reading comments like this, it's rude and ignorant. What other people choose to eat is their business. This thread is about what we choose to eat, not about insulting others based on their choices. How would you like me to start complaining about seeing skinny people walking around with salads thinking they're better than everyone else? Grow up.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that you can "drink" the equivalent of seven or eight oranges in a drink, where you would be unlikely to eat through the same as "fruit". That is one problem with it.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But its not just a one off... it's just something I can't help but see while being out and about in Parramatta.
    Ps. Its not about people with salads thinking that "they're better than everyone else". Hah! I'm not about depriving yourself but I think you are what you eat...

Sackie and SerenityNow like this.
  5. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate: doesn't obesity lead to increased chances of disease? Which in turn puts a strain on the public health care system, thus affecting all of us?

Sackie and Whitecat like this.
  6. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I find it offensive, Linda, plain and simple. And this "but it's not just a one off" business only makes it worse. I used the salad line hoping you'd wake up to that fact but clearly you don't get it. I'm done with this.

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Everyone on the planet should also watch Cowspiracy.

BigKahuna likes this.
  8. Gockie

Fine. I don't give a rat's.....
    And obesity is a huge problem.... as Serenity now points out.... who pays for the medical expenses? We all do as a society.... so it does affect me.
    So glad there's high taxes on cigarettes.... hardly anybody under the age of 35 born and raised in Australia smokes anymore compared to the old days were people used to smoke in shopping centres and in restaurants etc, the environment is much more pleasant.

Junk food could be taxed say 30% and salads could be tax free but then you'd have "big junk food" starting lawsuits and political parties... :rolleyes:

Biz, Bayview, Doncossack and 3 others like this.
  9. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

You have every right to find it offensive but that doesn't mean it isn't true or that others will think it's offensive. Do you think it's offensive to tell smokers they should quit or an alcoholic should drink less because they're absolutely the same thing. The fact we can't tell people these things anymore is a massive problem in society because we're all so afraid of some oversensitive whimp getting butthurt because they've made terrible decisions.

I actually fully support a tax on unhealthy food and soft drinks. They're a massive factor in obesity and obesity is rapidly becoming the biggest cost to the health system that is paid for by other tax payers. To be fair I also fully support the idea that gym memberships (and similar) should be tax deductible. The government should be doing everything to encourage people to get more active and stopping unhealthy eating habits and if you can't stop the stupid masses at least make them pay for the future health care they're going to need.

wylie, Bayview, Doncossack and 3 others like this.
  10. Gockie

Nicely said Wogitalia.

11. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I hold a great deal of cognitive dissonance on this subject. I have battled with weight my whole life and have someone close to me who is morbidly obese and see how they're treated in their day to day life so I know what it's like to be the fat person but....

I look at ads from 60 (?) years ago that say smoking is good for you and Dr's recommending it and nowadays we know the truth through education and reform this needs to be done for food - educate people on what is actually good for you and not push products which cost less or contribute the most to the bottom line of the gov't or big companies.

I don't like how the media is normalising being overweight (think the proper, not size 12, plus size models in catalogues) and saying that hey, it's ok to be obese, because really, it's not and the stigma that is attached to it needs to be removed. As Wogitalia said, it's ok to call someone out for smoking or being a heavy drinker but you're the evil one if you tell an overweight person to put down the *insert bad food of choice here*. People are doing themselves a disservice by not being the best they can be and eventually becoming a liability on the health system if they're not already. The support and education needs to be there.

I think (hope) in 50 years time that we will look on being overweight like we do smoking now. We know it's bad for you and know it will kill you and being a smoker is no longer the norm. We just need the powers that be to push this agenda and not their own.

Bayview, wogitalia and Gockie like this.
  12. Gockie

Thanks Kinnon. :)

13. SerenityNow

I agree with you in general, and think the issue is not always straightforward. I try not to blindly judge all obese people. Because, how can you prove that someone is obese by choice, and not just ill? (Example of proof of choosing to be obese: holding bags of Maccas)

For instance, I know someone who's very athletic, but couldn't seem to lose those last 15 kilos despite eating well. Doctors said she was fine. She visited a naturopath who told her she had some kind of mild food disorder (or something like that) and wasn't processing some foods; she cut out all gluten, dairy, all sugar, etc and then her processes started working again, and she lost about 10 kg (!) in a two or three weeks. Her diet seems overly hard - she wasn't obese to begin with - but it showed me how sometimes people try their best but just can't seem to lose weight. She was only 15kg overweight, but she works out a lot; someone with her condition, who ate healthy but only went for a daily walk, for instance, could easily have become obese.

I also used to be more judgemental about obese people, because I've dieted and exercised for what seems like my whole life. I used to think, "If I - a complete loser - can do this, why can't the others?" Now that I've seen firsthand how someone tried harder than me but still couldn't lose weight, I always think, "Maybe they're not obese on purpose". But then you see people eating Maccas all day, society looking down at people who "deprive" themselves of treats, etc...o_O

14. Terry_w

I am overweight and I would appreciate people telling me off if they catch me in the act of eating bad food. It would encourage me not to.

Gockie likes this.
  15. SerenityNow

I don't think overweight people need other people telling them off - maybe just not saying, "We're all having burgers, why are you getting a salad?" or "Why aren't you having more cake?!" would be a start! :cool:

16. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

It certainly wasn't my intent to be judgmental in my post. I did make a blanket statement but I think for the most part it's quite apt. Unless you have a condition like, say prader-willi syndrome than being overweight can be fixed.Using your friend as an example - she sought a solution until she found a fix. She thought she was 'eating well' but wasn't eating well for her own body. She then sought professional opinion/s and found a solution that worked.

I don't think it's straightfoward in sense that there's one answer or solution that will fix all. Everyone is different and what works for one person will not necessarily work for the other and some do just have to work harder at it than others (myself being an example). That's life.

I also don't think anyone is obese on purpose (forgetting those fetish feeder type people). For some being overweight is a symptom and not the problem. For some it's a disease and for others it's a side effect of laziness and poor lifestyle choices. You read stories of people that are overweight and miserable and then they lose the weight and are still miserable because they haven't gotten to the core issue - they've just treated the symptom.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. SerenityNow

Just to clarify, I thought your post brought up some really good points, and I didn't think it was judgmental.

Also, I remember reading a post in The Monthly (or similar) where a gastric-bypass surgeon talked about the people who came to her. She said that she'd never seen a single person (and she had access to a huge sample size) whose obesity was caused by illness or any factor other than their own lifestyle choices.

Of course, mainstream doctors didn't think my friend was ill, and thought her eating/lifestyle habits were just fine; she had to go to an "alternative medicine" person before she could lose weight, so... o_O

BigKahuna likes this.
  18. Terry_w

Not needed, but it would assist them, some of them, maybe.

19. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Cheers.

Legit question re the gastric banding - why are these people making these lifestyle choices? I can only make assumptions that it's due to lack of education, laziness, money, addiction to food (sugar?) etc. Also, I think the fact that they're going for the gastric banding says a lot about the type of person they are too.

I have no actual evidence to support this but from what I've read a lot of the people that get the weight loss surgery end up putting the weight back on. I can only assume the reason being is that they're not changing their bad habits. The surgery is really only a band aid solution and not fixing the core issue as to why the weight has been gained.

wylie likes this.
  20. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

*****!!
    :p:D:eek: