Food & Dining That Sugar Film is on SBS right now

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 2nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't think that's extreme at all. I eat no bread, no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no milk, but do have a couple of spoonfuls of full fat plain unsweetened greek yoghurt. Two meals a day. I don't usually snack, but if I'm feeling hungry I'll have an apple or a handful of nuts.

I do, however indulge every so often when I'm in a social setting. For example, I had a slice of black forest cake at the last meetup & it was soooooo yummy.....but it was back to normal the next day, and I don't think I've had anything 'bad' since then.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sort of. The problem with this philosophy is that it assumes all calories are equal. They are not.

Why “Calories in, Calories Out” Doesn't Tell The Whole Story

I can eat well and work out and gain weight muscle. That's good. I can sit around watching tv and eating too much fructose and gain weight in the form of visceral abdominal fat. That's bad.

I agree both require a calorie surplus but I don't agree that both outcomes are the same. I think it comes back to the lies the diet and exercise industries have been feeding us: gain weight bad, lose weight good. Neither of these are true.

skater, paulF and Xenia like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is what I just ate just now because I'm hungry (late lunch today).
    Chicken 70g
    Grapes 83g
    Mayo 10g
    Olives 30g
    Tomato 68g
    lettuce 30g

I do weight most things whilst I'm trying to lose "fat". Obviously I can easily weigh things at home, but I've got a good idea of what things weigh now and if eating out I just have to estimate.

This meal has 265 calories which is 12g fat, 26g carbs, 18g sugar (12g in the grapes), 17g protein and 3g cholesterol.

And it was truly enjoyable. I could eat this every day. I'm a creature of habit really.

IMG_0690.JPG

Perthguy, Gockie and paulF like this.
  4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Completely agreed about the outcome but the fact that more calories means more weight(can be fat or muscle) still stands.
    I eat pretty close to 40% fat,40% protein and 20% carbs and that's just averaging things out and not counting calories. All pretty much natural foods except for whey protein shake.
    Hard to get facts these days but a balanced natural diet away from processed food with a bit of exercise can't go wrong for staying in good shape.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That looks yummy! I haven't been counting calories, or the specific breakdown in grams, like you have here....and I'm still losing weight, but this prompted me to input my own lunch into a program to see what I had just eaten.

2 x tomatos
    1 x onion
    1 x large carrot
    1 x large handful of kale
    2 x slices of Halloumi Cheese

This was stir-fried with some garlic paste. It has a lot more calories, and carbs, than I thought, when I add the coconut oil that I cooked it in and an apple afterwards.

The total for the meal was:
    24.36g fat, 47.31g carbs, 13.40g protein, 460 total calories.

The apple pushed my carbs up, but for diner I'll just be having a veggie omelete with cheese, so that will push up both the fat & protein count for the day, with only a very small rise in the carbs.

Perthguy likes this.