Food & Dining That Sugar Film is on SBS right now

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 2nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This sounds sensible, and so does Xenia's post. What I would say is "menopause". Wait til that messes with your body. I eat good food, very little processed food or rubbish. But gee I've had trouble keeping my weight under control. I'm 58kg, hardly huge, but I was under 50kg when I was 23 (47kg actually). Size 8. I went to a dietitian when I was approaching 65kg. For me, 65kg is waaaaaay too heavy and I was so uncomfortable.

So many things change when you have kids, and then menopause hits you like a wet fish.

Ambit, Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

58 kg is still very good but yes I was under 50 kg too - 43 kg when I got married, I miss that :(

People have always told me wait till you have children, wait till you hit 40, none of those were contributors to gaining weight.

When does menopause kick in lol? I'm kind of looking forward to the freedom :)

3. wylie

It will kick in when it is good and ready, like puberty. You cannot do anything about it. And it may cause havoc. Or not...

I'm not wanting to lose weight to ever get back into a bikini. I don't want to get back to 50kg, no way. I now want to be fit and healthy as I get older, stay strong and keep strong bones.

Gockie, Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have a different method, I only eat when I'm extremely hungry and then eat like an animal, I don't follow the rule of 3 meals a day, I have 1, 2 or 3 depending on how I feel that day.
    I don't do portions or control or follow rules I do what feels right.
    In everything not just food

Phase2 likes this.
  5. wylie

This is how I eat too, and really always have.

We share a meal most of the time, and neither of us could possibly eat a whole "big breakfast". No wonder people are getting fat. Meal sizes are crazy. Now we are retired, we tend to graze and the big evening meal has gone the way of the dinosaur (mostly).

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Strong is the new sexy ;)
    I agree, I'm comfortable with being 52kg not 43 Kg. I don't look the same in a bikini either but I don't care, I still hit the beach whenever I want and I love my body, no one else needs to approve :)

Phase2, Perthguy and wylie like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's not just menopause @wylie. Have a look at metabolic syndrome, which is very common and affects people of all ages. Basically, peoples metabolisms get messed up and they don't process food normally. The main components of metabolic syndrome include obesity, high blood pressure, high blood triglycerides, low levels of HDL cholesterol and insulin resistance. This affects a lot of people. Say you take a person with a properly functioning metabolism and a person with metabolic syndrome. The person with metabolic syndrome will be a lot more likely to store fat than the person with a properly functioning metabolism.

8. wylie

I guess that could be right. Is there a test for this? I know I am not obese, don't have high blood pressure, not sure about triglycerides, do have high cholesterol, but I believe 80% of that is genetic. My dad had high cholesterol, but was fit and ate well.

Since having the body composition scan, resting metabolism test and 85% capacity VO2 test, and having the dietitian tweak my calories to suit "me", the weight is coming off.

I've also been fairly busy getting a house ready for listing, and have discovered muscles I'd forgotten I had.

And while I'm on the elliptical and lifting weights, I'm catching up on quality shows like Married at First Sight. :D:p

Gockie and Perthguy like this.
  9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

That might work for you, and that's great. Overeating tends to be a psychological thing and for most people, the head rules.. What if being comfortably full still resulted in eating 20% more calories than you should?

10. wylie

This is where I've changed up how I eat. For example, today I know what I've eaten already, and I know that I've exercised for an hour at a level where I should be burning fat, and lifted weights. So I know I can have the higher of the two calorie levels (one if I've exercised, the other if I've not).

I may not eat the higher calories today, but if I am hungry, I know I'm still going to be on track if I do eat up to that limit.

I will now choose my dinner to increase the carbs, protein or fat to aim for the levels I do aim for. I find this so easy because I've done it long enough that it is almost second nature.

Without the fatsecret site to guide me, I'd eat something that wouldn't balance out the grams of carbs, protein and fat that I'm aiming for.

I used to love eating greek yoghurt and muesli. I know this is covered in the film, but I learned this from the dietitian when I first went to him. I thought I was eating well, but for brekky I was eating nearly half my daily intake.

I'm much more aware now and cannot recommend the fatsecret site enough for those who (like me) know a little bit about many things, but not enough about them to get it right.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Calories in, calories out is a fallacy, or at best an oversimplification. Have you attempted my suggestion and did it fail? If so, then I concede. If not, why don't you try it, what do you have to lose?

Low GI diet, eat slowly until sated (slowly equals over 20 mins to consume your meal.. this by far is the hardest part). Eat regularly so as not to go hungry. Don't over exercise but walk a minimum 10k steps per day.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Insight on SBS right now is about Visceral fat and Type II Diabetes etc... It's an epidemic....

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2017
  13. Perthguy

I am watching this right now. Good show.

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2017
  14. Perthguy

I cured myself of chronic overeating. It was hard and I won't pretend it wasn't. I can tell you how I used to eat: fast and furious. I basically hoovered my food down. This involved shoving food into my mouth as fast as I could and not much chewing. The issue with not chewing is that my full signals got bypassed so I could overeat without feeling full. It sounds disgusting and it was really but I ate that way for nearly 30 years so it was a very deeply ingrained habit.

To change and reverse 30 years of eating habits was the hardest thing I have ever done. It took a lot of reading and mental preparation before I even tried. Its mindset. If you google eating mindfully you will see there is a lot of literature about eating consciously. One exercise I did at the start was putting my fork down between every mouthful of food. I found it really annoying but it did get me to slow down. For me, I needed to calm down, slow down, chew my food, enjoy the flavours and feel full when I had eaten enough.

The other strategy was making food that is hard to chew. I just shoved lots of veg into a food processor. For example, slice up some raw cabbage, add grated carrot and beetroot and dress with olive oil and balsamic. That stuff is slow to eat if I chewed it. It could take 20 minutes to eat my lunch. By the end of the day I sure was tired of chewing!

Even with all my mental preparation, focus and practice, it still took months to get to a point where I could eat normally. It's really not easy but it can be done. For me, losing 25kg without ever counting a single calorie demonstrates that calorie counting is absolutely not necessary for weight loss. That said, if you try intuitive eating and it doesn't work then you will need to count calories to lose weight.

Player, Propagate, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I taped it & just watched it now. Yes, it was good, but would have been better in a longer show so that the presenter wouldn't have needed to cut him off so often.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to go hardcore...

Here is the lecture with all the numbers and science stuff (technical terms) as to how and why sugar isn't great. It's presented really well and entirely watchable. it's also super, super scary....

Player likes this.
  17. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago, I started following Paul McKenna's 4 Golden Rules of eating (summary here http://debrarussell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/The-Four-Golden-Rules-by-Paul-McKenna.pdf), lost 7kgs over 3 months which put me down to my ideal weight for about 7 years. At that point, I consciously decided to put more weight on over the Canberra winter because I constantly felt cold and that turned out to be another 2kg to get me to the right body temp.

When you have followed Paul McKenna's rules for so long it is actually hard to put on weight, so I had to break Rule 3 (eat mindfully) and scoff food down to be able to eat more than Rule 4 (stop eating when you are full) would normally allow. Fortunately, it is easy to take it off again by re-invoking Rule 3.

Per my earlier posts, it seems I still eat a lot of sugar, despite it not affecting my weight, and I am now keen to drop that amount to below 50g added sugar a day purely for health reasons.

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  18. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

The calories in / out fallacy is to do with exercising to "burn fat", not your actual calorific intake. It's proven that cutting your calorific intake will make you lose or at least slow the weight gain, if it didn't work then gastric banding wouldn't be a thing...

Incidentally, I did try eating clean/mindfully and trying to stop when I was "full". Problem for me was that the artisan multigrain rye that I was eating was loaded with calories.. about 120 per slice (of a rather small but dense loaf). So for bread alone (2 slices of toast with breakfast and a sandwich at lunchtime) was 25% of my daily BMR. Nuts are also loaded with way more calories than I expected and I was snacking on them between meals because I was hungry.. the feeling of fullness didn't carry to the next meal. As it turned out I was eating over 2,200 cal per day! I was walking and cycling too, and the weight barely shifted, then what little I lost came back.

Perhaps I should re-frame my position. You don't have to count calories to lose weight/get healthy, there are plenty of examples that this is true, but I think in general that people should be aware of the calorific value of what they're eating. "Mindfulness" works for some, but not everyone. Counting calories doesn't work for everyone either. Fasting doesn't work for lots of people..

The best approach for anyone, is whatever they find works for them. :)

Xenia, Perthguy, jprops and 1 other person like this.
  19. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Agree, you are well served to know which foods generally have high calories and should be avoided - and you need to experiment with what works for you.

My low GI diet is probably considered extreme (no bread, no rice no potatos, no milk or yoghurt (low gi, but high insulemic index). No snacking. Eat 4 times a day.

It's very simple, but you are right, it may not be for everyone.

Xenia and Phase2 like this.
  20. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Nope! That's just a simple fact. If you eat more calories than you burn, you put on weight. Nothing you can do to change that. you can eat as slow as you want, if you are not burning that, you will add weight. No two ways around it.

wylie likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia