Food & Dining That Sugar Film is on SBS right now

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 2nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've put my entire family on a real food diet years ago, it's amazing that after you get used to the basics, just meat and vegetables and home made stuff, going back to refined food or things out of packets feels like you are eating plastic.

I had a go at my husband the other day, he let my youngest daughter buy mac and cheese. It went in the bin after I read the ingredients to her - she was discusted.

It's about forming better habits over time, if you combine real food with intuitive eating - only eating when you are hungry instead of the standard 3 meals that are taught to us, watch your energy levels skyrocket while weight just falls off - and you don't need to count calories.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Nah, that won't cut it, is a bit more to it than that.

unless

It is Aussie pasta, it is like when we go to a Chinese and they make Aussie Chinese, some peas, sliced carrot with a bit of sauce probably from a can, is not Chinese, we call it Aussie Chinese :)

Some old Aussies must have had too much spam during the war ! :D

3. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Again - they are supplements. Of course they have additives. I'm not justifying their existence in the market.
    Just like coconut water is a joke. Just because something is a health food product doesn't mean it is good for you.

I too don't buy them, $90 a kg for protein is a joke.

What is they saying? "If it has its own commercial or add, you shouldn't buy/eat it"..

But I do train 5 times a week and take protein suppliments. Currently I'm using bull nutrients. Aussie company, using NZ whey. But still contain artificial goodies I'm sure, but a lot less than some of the brands you mentioned

4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Why do you think protein powders are so bad ? I started eating & cooking much cleaner about 18 months ago, target daily sugar under 50g + alcohol (something I wasn´t able to give up despite trying), & target a high protein intake of 150-200g a day so eat a lot of chicken & fish & use a lot of Whey protein powder (often that is breakfast). Lost about 10kg fat & gained about 3kg muscle (net -7kg, complemented by strength training). I find protein powders + skim milk tasty, convenient and cheap compared to cooking all the time (but I do a lot of cooking also).

Xenia likes this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Great result and I'm glad it's working for you.

I think nature has it right, human beings do not. We are not balanced nor connected to our environment, ourselves or each other.
    Food is just one component amongst many.

I think whole food in its natural form offers not only nutrition but protection from diseases, premature aging etc...

I believe different components of whole food work together to have a beneficial effect.

If you consider something like a carrot - in its whole unrefined form, it has over 1200 beneficial components in it including retinoids - vitamin A.

When I was doing me PhD I read a study on isolating vitamin A, the researchers had 3 different groups of rats, group 1 was fed a dose of isolated vitamin A (enough to induce hyper vitaminosis - overdose), group 2 was fed exactly the same dose but in juiced carrots - fiber removed, group 3 was given the same dose in raw carrots.

All turned orange due to the overdose

Group 1 and 2 developed some kinds of cancer and complications, group 1 was worse and had different types of health issues - I can't remember what they were I just remember the message.

Group 3 was protected even though it was an overdose. The result was that the whole food offered a protective mechanism over the overdose.

There is a book out called the china study where they were able to demonstrate some harmful effects of protein, they used isolated protein in the study.

Getting sucrose directly out of a sugar cane by chewing on it does not cause the same harmful effects as refined white sugar - out of the same plant.

I really don't like food that has been tampered with and certain components isolated and sold separately. You can get asparagine out of asparagus (funny about that) but I would not touch it in a jar in a health food store.

We are living in a society where food is not real and nurtition is out of jars, I don't think your body recognises the isolated tampered-with bits as actual food and you really don't know what effects they will have long term.

We do however know that real food, whole food has enourmos health benefits so personally I would rather stick with that. I trust nature above any laboratory.

Phase2, Perthguy and Casteller like this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I watched the film yesterday, interesting.

Wonder how much sugar I average. Breakfast is almost always fruit (Apple and nectarine yesterday) on oats which would have be a little. Lunch yesterday was a chicken salad without added sugar in dressing. Dinner had a table spoon of maple syrup in the dressing for four people, otherwise it was vege and some rice.

Certainly below "average". A couple of days a week I go out for meals or have dessert so there would be blow outs.

When I traveled around China I was with an American at one point and they said "I can't wait to get home, the Chinese food is so much better".

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Why don't you map it out? Generally natural sugars in fruits and veges don't count cause they are also full of fiber. This slows everything down giving your liver time to do its thing...

It's the added sugars to food and juices/softdrinks that do the damage....

Xenia likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Oh wow lol

Does westernised Chinese food have more sugar?

9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

How about 22 teaspoons per serve?

[​IMG]
    3/9
    CHINESE FOOD
    1 order of orange chicken = 88.13 g

Staple American Chinese dishes like orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken, and General Tso's chicken are actually shockingly high in sugar due to the syrupy sauces that make them delicious. A serving of orange chicken has three times the WHO recommended daily limit, and even more sugar than a regular-sized Chocolate Triple Thick Shake from McDonald's (63.09 g).

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just checked the ENO - even that has saccharine in it. :confused:

Not counting but today should be pretty low:
    Rolled oats/banana/natural pot set yoghurt (unsweetened)/light milk smoothie

Cafe latte
    Skim cap

4 cherry tomatoes
    1 medium carrot
    Small apple
    Bunch of white grapes
    Nectarine

No sugar so far or processed food. Unfortunately we're having lunch at a restaurant so there goes that.

Xenia likes this.
  11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I just checked mine.. I seem to average between 50-60g per day. I think the bulk of it comes from fruit, honey and a bit of dark choc.

Xenia likes this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you use the website fat secret.com.au (and load the phone app as well for when you want to know something on the go), it tells you what is in the foods you eat.

I use this site religiously. I input my food and it tells me how many carbs, how much protein, fat (and sugar, cholesterol and calories) you are eating.

If we eat out, I try my best to guess what I've eaten.

As a tool to help me with weight loss and just knowing the balance I'm eating (carbs/protein/fat) it is fantastic and so easy.

I just typed in Jalna Greek Style Natural Yoghurt (100g) and it tells me it contains 10g fat, 6g carbs, 4.8g sugar, 3.8g protein with calorie count of 129.

Most things I eat regularly I could not record but recording keeps my eyes open to what I'm actually eating.

Xenia likes this.
  13. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Counting calories etc is not worth the hassle mostly. Avoid High GI foods, get decent amounts of fat and protein, a wide variety of colours, and use portion control. Job done.

Xenia and orangestreet like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you don't have any idea of how many calories you are eating then I say it is imperative you get an idea. I recently had a body scan to see how much, and where my body fat sits. I also had a resting metabolism test. This allowed the dietitian I'm seeing to tweak my calories down further.

Eating good food in good ratios was not helping me to lose weight. Lowering my calories intake is now working. Plus I'm adding weights (starting slowly) to boost the fat I can burn while not actively excercising.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

In the past I have not found calorie counting necessary for someone with a properly functioning metabolism. I used to weigh myself once a year on the 1st of Jan and I maintained the same weight for years. The caveat here is that people without properly functioning metabolisms would benefit from calorie counting and that is a lot of people now.

Xenia likes this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Same same.
    I've counted calories once in a subject called human nutrition in 3rd year uni, we were literally burning food in a calorimeter and measuring the calories (they are actually kilo calories).

I stick to real food, hardly anything processed (although I do love chocolate) and have been bought up and still live on a basic Mediterranean diet - very high fat, and composed of meat and vegetables mainly, we literally fry everything in olive oil and buy oil in 25 kg drums directly from my uncles farm - it lasts s few months.

I do not ever over eat and the thought of eating something when I'm full makes me sick.

Apart from that it's intuitive and I just eat what I want, when I want and as much as I want, using my own intuition as guidance.

I have been thin all my life, dress size 6 to 8 and 52 kg. The heaviest I've ever been was 55kg when I was pregnant.

Kids and husband are fairly thin too, my kids are the skinniest in their entire class - as I was when I was little.

orangestreet, Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

How do you control your portions if you don't know how many calories are in them? How do you know what size portion is right for you?

Xenia likes this.
  18. Perthguy

It sounds like nonsense, doesn't it? Calorie theory holds that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay below your daily calorie limit. I would argue it absolutely matters what you eat.

The calorie delusion: Why food labels are wrong

according to a small band of researchers, using the information on food labels to estimate calorie intake could be a very bad idea. They argue that calorie estimates on food labels are based on flawed and outdated science, and provide misleading information on how much energy your body will actually get from a food. Some food labels may over or underestimate this figure by as much as 25 per cent, enough to foil any diet, and over time even lead to obesity. As the western world’s waistlines expand at an alarming rate, they argue, it is time consumers were told the true value of their food.

http://bijaltrivedi.com/Bijal_P._Trivedi/Writing_files/TheCalorieDelusion.PDF

Or maybe stop eating foods with nutrition labels ;)

It's amazing how much real food you can eat without "gaining weight". It tells me these foods are processed by our bodies very differently to factory produced foods. There is a large body of research backing up the Mediterranean diet. Good food! :)

Xenia likes this.
  19. Perthguy

I haven't counted calories so I don't know how much I am eating. If I want to lose weight I just start eating unprocessed or minimally processed foods, eat when I am hungry and stop eating when I am just full. It's very difficult but if you can do that you won't need to count calories. My record weight loss is more than 25kg without ever counting calories.

Xenia and jprops like this.
  20. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Start by eating slowly and taking note of when you are comfortably full.Practice leaving something on your plate. Also, don't allow yourself to get overly hungry, it's a sure fire way to over-eating and indulging in "convenient food".

You'll figure out the right portion size pretty quickly.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia