Cars & Motorbikes Tesla 3 vs Kia Stinger GT

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Realist35, 20th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think @Big A post above has good points.

Personally...I hate buying cars that aren't under warranty...I don't wanna buy a car and then 6 months later I need to stump out 2k etc.....may not happen for a long time...but I know me. I'd be ****** off If I had to pay a chunk of cash after buying a car within a few years....:oops:

Realist35 likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Big A the maintenance package is about 5k...I thought about it and decided its not worth it. What do you think?

Realist35 likes this.
  3. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

The maintenance package is just you paying for the servicing upfront. I normally buy it that way I know I have servicing covered for the next 3 or 5 years depending on the option. I would imagine for $5k on the CLA your getting 5 years worth of servicing. Plus you pay todays service costs rather than the future and most likely higher service charges.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

@Realist35 , don’t want to scare you but I will tell you one more story. The guy that purchased my C63 called me close to a year after buying the car of me. The warranty had expired and he had a failure in the steering and the cost to fix was $10k. Not something he had factored in when buying an AMG.

Realist35 likes this.
  5. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Omg that did scare me haha. I would definitelly be ****** of to spend 60k on a car and then having to pay another 10k a few months later. Thanks so much for sharing!

6. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Haven't driven the Kia but highly
    recommend the Tesla Model 3. Amazing car on all fronts.

Realist35 and oracle like this.
  7. Realist35

I love the idea of it, heard many great stories! But I somehow really can't stomach the looks of it (highly personal though).

8. Realist35

How old was the car when the steering failed? It sounds like Merc has subaverage reliability. Just can't understand why expensive cars like that are not better made :confused:

9. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Understand. Have you had a chance to drive one? How it feels might just override how it looks… :D

Realist35 likes this.
  10. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

This car was just under 3 years old when I sold it with 25k km. Then I got the call less than a year later. Keep in mind this particular car was problematic. I’m sure this is not a common occurrence.

Realist35 likes this.
  11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

How about a BMW 240i? Haven’t driven one of those exact cars but I have owned 3 M cars and have a 4th coming in a week or so. While I have heard of similar horror stories from BMW owners I personally have never had any serious issues with ones I have owned.
    The 240 also comes with a 6 cylinder compared with the CLA 4 cylinder. BMW have struggled in the sound department for many years now where as Mercedes’ are killing it.
    Another plus for the 240 over the CLA. The CLA has plenty of power but that motor is highly strung. To get that much power out of a 2L engine they have cranked the boost on the turbo to over 30psi. That puts serious strain on a engine. I’m sure they are designed to handle it but for how long is the question. The 240 being a 6 cylinder can produce the power without the need to push that engine to its limit, which should generally mean longer life.

Realist35 likes this.
  12. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

i have been waiting for a Tesla model 3 since December.
    I was told originally 8-12 weeks it has been 7 months.(they missed the deadline even before Shanghai lock down)

Note: For me another issue with Tesla is the lack of dealer support. I still went with Tesla.
    Technology
    Speed
    At home charging( solar at home with battery)
    Interior
    Speed
    Tech again

13. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

If you're thinking Mercedes then you need to watch some AutoExpert youtube videos. Together with VW/Audi, they're well known for throwing their customers under the bus when there's a problem. Regularly probed by the ACCC for failing to honour warranties etc and the servicing / parts are extortionate.

I get they are nice cars but most aren't made in Germany anymore. They been moving down market by trading on their brand for years, other than the AMG stuff but then you need very deep pockets to keep it on the road. If you must have a German prestige car then buy a BMW...

If you want a reliable car with good customer support, then the Koreans are a good option. If the dealer is being difficult, head office usually steps in. No idea about Tesla on that front although I know a lot of fanbois... I would probably lean Korean for an EV myself though, depending on supply.

I've given up on the idea of buying new cars until supply chains improve. I can't stand the level of power that dealers have in this environment - it's completely unbalanced.

Big A and Realist35 like this.
  14. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I recently got a Tesla model 3 2022 (base model) took delivery in Feb 2022. So far I echo @GreenTreeFrog and @sanj comments about Model 3.

My suggestion is do a test drive of all the vehicles you are considering. At the end of the day you want a vehicle which gives you pleasure driving each and every day. You want to have an excuse to take it out for a spin.

EVs will drive and feel different to your ICE vehicles. They are quiet (obviously) so if you are after roaring engine noise you will be disappointed. But the instant torque of EV is fun and addictive.

Tech on Tesla's are very impressive. Being able to control almost all aspects of the car from your phone is amazing. Autopilot (adaptive cruise control + automatically steer your steering wheel) feature makes driving long hours so much less stressful.

Finally, Tesla have improved their build quality considerably over recent years. Shanghai built Model 3s are some of the best built Teslas

Cheers,
    Oracle.

GreenTreeFrog and Lindsay_W like this.
  15. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Tesla model 3 > Kia Stinger for me any day of the week, but there's a bit of a price difference.
    Looks wise, I wouldn't say either a particularly good looking but is that why you're buying a car? Can't see it while you're driving it :)

Last edited: 24th May, 2022
    inertia and Realist35 like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you're within the 3 or 5 years, how can they refuse to fix it under warranty?

Realist35 likes this.
  17. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

Engine problem - you put bad fuel in it / water got into the service station fuel tanks.
    Braking problem - you've been driving with your foot on the brake without knowing / brake excessively.
    Gearbox problem - that's how it's meant to shift.

You get the idea... the excuses should be quite familiar to those in the car industry. Plenty more where they came from!

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sigh. Fingers crossed here.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I was attending a meeting earlier today about EV charging stations and the topic of energy security (real nerdy topic?) came up.

We're currently experiencing some of the highest oil prices ever experienced atm we no longer refine oil (other than a small refinery in Kwinana), Russians controlling gas supplies to much of the EU, refinery fire in Sth Korea, lapsing of the reduction of the excise discount etc.

Weighing this up against the increasing affordability of renewals, improvement in technology, lower emissions requirements, suppliers and clients asking how we are helping them to reach the reduced emissions targets.

Back on track, we broached the topic of storage - cars have cheap batteries compared to a dedicated storage so can be used to store and discharge power back to your house. Why should you be charged a feed-in tariff (ie not a 100% offset for the energy that you supply back to the grid)? The Govt provides some incentives for buying an EV but zilch for battery storage.

So buying an EV will save on the need to install your own battery in the face of spiralling fuel costs.

Enuf rambling SNM.

Last edited: 24th May, 2022
    Sackie and Realist35 like this.
  20. Realist35

Thanks mate! Did you get the base or the performance model? Base model is 70k (as per their web page), that's the absolute max I'd pay for a car.

Edit: just reread and realized you bought the base model damn, they're expensive..