Terri Scheer 2020 premium increase

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by kebs, 10th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Side question - are you guys paying for building insurance only? $400ish for landlord cover that covers rent default, does that include building insurance? If not, what are you guys using for building insurance?

I pay EBM approx $1.1k pa for rent default and building cover.

2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I had increases on some but also decreases on some for building insurances (BI). have also combined policy discounts having LL and BI for property.
    I just slightly decrease SI to pay what I wish..... or you can change excesses...
    You see it really depends on number of IPs, let's say you have more than 10 IPs than I prefer to have higher excesses as it seems unlikely I will have claims on all IPs at the same time...
    So logic and strategy can be used to vary based upon what you need or want from your insurer.

Skinman likes this.
  3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Terri Scheer have now lifted their embargo and are offering new landlord policies including rent default (except in Victoria unfortunately). However the policy premiums in NSW have increased from $399 previously to $519 based on the quote I just got today.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I asked for a quote today from Terri Scheer for building and landlord cover for Brisbane townhouses.

Insurance of $450k per townhouse ($1000 excess) was $1446 for the building and $419 for the landlord policy.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

what a rip off! can do much better elsewhere, unless the townhouses have higher risk factors

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We received a renewal notice from EBM last week for one of our IPs (all with EBM). Premium was $300.

7. wylie

I was surprised at the building component and thought it was high.

I'll shop around further. I was going to call EBM but ran out of time today. Any other suggestions on who to call?

We have our other insurance with Youi but they won't insure the townhouses (something to do with OC properties).

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

try allianz
    the most expensive of my quotes is around $1450 including LL, and thats with claims
    EBM is about $350 for LLs as well

9. wylie

Thanks. I'll give them a call and report back.

10. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

My EBM renewal just came in for Slacks Creek. It’s up $90 from an $1150 policy for both building and LL.

Judging by this thread, it looks like I’m on the luckier side.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It sucks to do it but I reckon every 3 years or so, put a date in your calendar to shop around for a new insurer. Loyalty's worth nothing these days.

Pingu1988, wylie and BunnyXiao like this.
  12. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I'm confused why companies like EBM are excluding tenant damage as well as loss of rent from new policies. I get the rent exclusion due to COVID-19, but why exclude damage? What's the point in having a policy?

wylie likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Who's the policy meant to really benefit? Answer that question and you'll have your answer.

14. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Well it's not benefiting EBM because I'm not buying a policy that's useless for me.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a lot of people don't read the fine print and pay the price come claim time. Guilty as charged despite my experience as an investor.

16. wylie

Just called Allianz. Because our townhouses will be part of a strata title situation, they will not insure us. Nor provide landlord cover due to Covid.

I was referred to findaninsurer.com.au and went through that site just now, chose the appropriate section, put in that these are strata, and both Youi and Allianz are shown as insurers. Clearly this site isn't going to help me.

The (telephone each insurer or via recommendation) search continues.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I better cancel my life insurance because I haven’t claimed on it in over 40 years now :D.

How useless it that? :eek:

On a serious note, I would be a lot happier to pay for insurance policies (life, building, car, landlord, ...) if they could guarantee that I would never have (a reason) to submit a claim once I paid the premium :rolleyes:.

That would be a very useful policy :eek:.

18. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

I thought life insurance policies were a form of investment as they pay dividends?. I know many rich Chinese love them. Some even just buy a policy and live off the dividends rather than start a company. I don't know a lot about this type of investment but its huge here

19. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, however I think this is whole life insurance which is no longer available in Australia since the advent of Superannuation. It's popular in the US too .... they call it infinite banking I think (?). It's of dubious usefulness when you look the fine print ..... sort of 1/2 life insurance and 1/2 investment fund.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I spoke to a underwriter I know....Apparently insrers embargoed policies as they needed to determine what the claims experience and risks could be. They seem to have indntified a risk that some risks have increased for
    1. Future loss of income and inability to pay rent
    2. Social iimpacts and evictions with higher than normal "damage" claims and payout

yes premiums will be higher. New policies may exclude or may limit some cover. renewals may have higher excesses for some events and higher premiums. Each are reviewing as they go it seems

shorty, Hosko and kierank like this.