Termites ...

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by proper_noobie, 5th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

I don't care much for the little turds, I ensure their evil colony dies with a proper dose of Fipronil, however when purchasing and they've been found by a previous B&P and the previous contract fell through for that reason, how much negotiation could one typically have in a warming market?

I lost an offer on what was a great property that had termites found outside but not inside, but someone else must have made a better (or less conditional on an invasive building inspection) for $5k below median for that type of property in a given area. The agent was very difficult to coax him to admit termites were found but he only admitted after me asking 3 or 4 times while getting given the runaround about how well the structure was built and the wood being very termite resistant etc... Perhaps someone else didn't ask the hard questions to the agent.

When a property is found to have termites by a B&P, is there a permanent record of that anywhere that I or a potential future purchaser could access? Say in 15 years when time comes to sell (and if the termite damage had been property repaired in the structure and/or outdoors), are there any reasons I could lose potential future value if a current B&P doesn't discover any white ant activity past or present?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No, unless the property is a strata property with a OC or BC. Then a search of the strata records that went back 10+ years (and few go back more than 2-5 years due to cost) would reveal if the BC was made aware and kept records properly).

No, not really. The report may make mention of repairs having been done. A report may also note obvious signs of a past termite treatment. (Yellow powder stains on timber plates for example or concreted over drill holes in a building's exterior paths, where poison would have been squirted in).

3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

ones i know have had termite inspections and termites discovered have had a sticker placed in the sub board box.