Termites!!

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jess Peletier, 5th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Haha - if I can deal with banks, I can deal with anything! :D

Sackie likes this.
  2. matts2

matts2 New Member

I found termites in my Mum's PPOR. Left it as is so as not to disturb them, found a great Pest Inspector to look for further damage after that. (which was extensive). The termits had travelled from a tree on a block over 30m away.
    Termits might skip certain timber but will create a mud cover to travel across anything throughout a structure. Treament in timber only lasts around 5-10 years so it is worth getting a barrier treatment done every 5 years or so.
    To do it properly the soil surrounding each pylon/slab needs to be disturbed and chemicals applied. Time consuming, although if you disturb the soil yourself you would save the labour cost for a pest controller to do it.
    When done the pest controller must place a sticker inside the meter box outlining what treatment has been applied.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Termites are *******s. Get a pro in. A good one. IMO termites are like cancer. You cant afford to leave it a little untreated.

One of our old Ips was our former house and a neigbour found termites in outer trees. We had pest treatment to provide a barrier knowing it was not minor. Cost a few K but we knew it was right. Other neighbour ummed and ahhed... Guess who got termites later ???

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Got a guy coming Monday. It quite a decent size house, old and mostly timber - not worth trying to DIY anything. And then it's covered under their insurance also. It's worth it.

Westminster and hammer like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hey Jess.
    Ive done the pest controllers cert
    All the paperwork is worded to cover the pestie's backside, the one's who do insure are that damn expensive it hardly seems worth it.
    Chemical barriers are ok, but are being used way less (due to bridging), I use bait stations now as in a lot of cases they are cheaper to install and maintain.
    PS, termites are determined little buggers, if they really want your floor they will find a way........

Sackie, Player and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Had a chemical barrier for years [renewed every 3 yrs at a cost of $2,000 each service] found out that termites had eaten away timber in dining room when the house was offered for sale, cost me $25,000 to repair the damage. So much for chemical barriers :rolleyes:

Jess Peletier likes this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Wow - was the damage extensive?

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Yes, they had chewed through the timber framing of the room and the walls and ceiling had been damaged, we hadn't realised the flooring of the bedroom upstairs had been damaged until the furniture had been removed [we moved before house was sold]. The walls and ceiling had to be removed, timber frames replaced and then plaster wall and ceiling replaced, then painted.

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Oh wow, they don't usually pick on hardwood OR floorboards.

Thermal imaging is awesome, and fun to watch!

Is there any moisture below the boards? They like warm and moist areas, I've generally seem them chew up floorboards in wet areas.

10. Sunnystate

Sunnystate New Member

termite will eat hardwood, I'm an inspector and have seen it eaten plenty of times. chemical barriers are not as good as bait stations, but you do need to right station installed. No matter what termite barrier system you decide to have, the home will still need a yearly inspection, there's no silver bullet for termites.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2018
    BarneyRubble and Antoni0 like this.
  11. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Dirty little buggers got stuck into my fence palings, I don't think the treatment is doing much anymore

20171206_144156.jpg .

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I got a place which is pretty badly eaten by termites...currently rented. The pm KNOWS its a tear down to develop.. Last report she 'alerted' me to the termite damage and recommended to keep my investment in top shape I get the whole place treated. Quote was something like more than 10k. o_O

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This isn't the case in my experience. We've had personal experience of two houses where the little blighters have simply made mud tracks up brick piers to get to the tasty wood in the ceiling.

And a neighbour knew there was old termite damage in some floorboards but didn't realise how much had been eaten out until the floor sander's machine dropped through the floor. :eek:

Thankfully nobody was under the house at the time.

Marg4000 and Perthguy like this.
  14. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

Could this be a sign of termites?

20180409_164945.jpg

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Looks like loose dirt. Have you seen it in person? Is it actually insects?

16. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

I found it inside the cupboard a couple of months ago and cleaned it but found it again this evening.
    Remembering some termite damage photos posted on PC, I was a bit worried if it's a sign of termites activity.

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Garden ants and earwigs make litter like that in my shed.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

great!

I'll clean up and spray some ant killers.

19. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@EricIP We had something like that from earwigs here in Canberra. Never seen an earwig before, it scared the hell out of me! :eek:

20. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

I recently (knowingly) purchased a termite damaged property (cracker deal). Probably a bit late to this thread - but in the buying process I did a tonne of research about termites to determine how much of a risk I am actually taking - a few things I noted were they are just so common you don't realise until you're affected by them. Also there are a lot of great products out there that you can use like Termidor SC which infect and kill the colony, similarly there are good DIY solutions like setting traps etc. but theoretically I have found Termidor to be the best so far. Wouldn't freak out about this.

Green, Kassy, Toon and 3 others like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia