Termites - Need opinions

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by QD_au, 15th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

B&P on the property I am buying showed live termites in garden bed sleepers and recommends removal of old tree stump but no activity in house which is 60 yrs young. I'll get the work done and regular inspections carried out but no need to panic I agree.
    Great to have reliable trades recommended on this forum.

Toon likes this.
  2. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

@QD_au Yes, me too B&P result shows there is a termite issue similar to you.
    usually the Termidor/Termite Barrier lasts about 8 years.

So how do you negotiate the price during the B&P week ?
    The vendor R/E agent told me to get quote from 3 different Pest inspectors initially to negotiate.

3. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Hi Wylie does he do Logan area?

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think he does, just call him, he is approachable and I too will say he is not trying to inflate things on you or turn everything into a big job like some do.

Had one guy trying to sell me an expensive treatment when I know the frame and roof are made of what termites do not eat :) He also charged me more than the verbal quote.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure he does.

6. QD_au

QD_au Member

I can say I was able to successfully negotiate. Don't expect to get a heap of $$ off. Basically my mentality was to either get the seller to address the issue or give me a reduction off the purchase price for the work that was required. It also depends on your position, if you had bid a good price for the home or you're the only person interested in the house or the seller is desparate to sell, you have good negotiating power. The key for me was to understand where my power was and be reasonable. I was also able to negotiate other maintenance things as well.

If the agent becomes aggressive, just remember negotiating with him/her to reduce a few thousand dollars off the purchase price has very little difference in their commission. It would cost them more time and money to put the property back on sale and inspection again. Hope that helps.

AlbertWT and Tekoz like this.
  7. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Ah I see, that does make sense @QD_au I've never bought any property before in QLD hence I'm not familiar with the strategy that you mentioned above.
    Hopefully all goes well with your IP until settlement day.

From this thread I also get to know Wayne :cool: he's a great man and very responsive to your question.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.