Termites after inspection

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by mnrvermaak, 21st Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mnrvermaak

mnrvermaak Member

We bought a house and settlement was about a week ago. We did a pest inspection and no termite activity was found.

Last night however I found that the skirting board in the sunken lounge is being eaten by termites. Almost all of the skirting was completely hollowed out and there were live termites.

One of the perma poles keeping the roof of the Veranda supported also has damage.

Not too pleased with the inspection.

Can I do anything about it. I would atleast expect my money back!?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You should call the inspector and chat to them about it. Are they licensed?

Also, read the inspection agreement. They often have get out clauses, but if the damage pre- existed the inspection I think you have a good case for some consideration as the inspection was clearly not done correctly.

A couple of things to consider: might the damaged areas have been behinfpd furniture at the time of inspection? Would you have bought the house had you known about the damage?

3. mnrvermaak

mnrvermaak Member

An update,
    The technician came out again today. He wanted to spray a foam on the affected areas.

I then indicated that I want to make a claim and he said but it was only a visual inspection and he cannot have known that there are termites in the skirting board. He said during a visual inspection they don`t touch anything. This sounds absurd to me.

I have however read a guideline that says the skirting board will be tapped/knocked with a hard object. That clearly was not done.

All areas were easily accessible to they cannot say they could not get there.

Do someone have a copy of the AS 4349.3-2010 standard. The report is done according to that standard and I am sure it states that wood are tapped with an hard object to listen if it has a hollow sound.

Any help?

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Not sure on legal aspect , but whenever I've been present with an inspection they tap things .

I'd be doing more checking out first . Is there an Industry body ?

Cliff

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

My experience is that B&P reports have plenty of clauses to absolve them of responsibility.

I was told the other day that at least one company in Melbourne has 'sniffer dogs' to detect termites. A visual inspection doesn't really cut it.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Last B&P inspection I attended used thermal imaging to see if active termites present. It was interesting to see how it worked.

Having said that, most B&P reports have so many disclaimers it is hard to see how anyone has any legal recourse.
    Marg

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In all my inspections, both tapping and thermal imaging used.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia