Termite Warranty and regular inspection

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by hash_investor, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi, a property that I own has a termite barrier installed and has a warranty of 50 years on it. I had an inspection on it last month and that was all good which according to the inspection company makes me eligible for that warranty. However I need to get regular inspections which is every 12 months.

Is that something I need to do to keep my warranty if it is worth it? I have not seen anyone doing annual termite inspections. What do the people on the forum think?

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I had a termite barrier around my home for about 10 years and yearly inspections, when the house was put up for sale earlier this year it was found to be extensively damaged from termites and cost me over $20,000 to repair.

What do I think about termite barriers and pest inspections? :mad:

Luke T and WattleIdo like this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Could you not claim for it from the installation company?

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

The company who installed the barrier also carried out the yearly inspections, they claimed it was old damage that had gradually got worse over the years - as I had already bought a house and had a buyer who knew about the damage [gave him the invoice from builder who did the repairs] and was prepared to go ahead with the sale I decided to move on and accept the loss.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

If it's already paid for, then why not?
    I will be getting annual inspections here. But they're weird little critters - they come a nd go and there are all types. The inspectors sometimes ham it up a bit, I reckon.

Luke T likes this.
  6. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

For timber houses/ flats I get annual inspections- cost ~$260 and get them to do spray for ants/ spiders/ NSW league players at same time.

hash_investor likes this.
  7. hash_investor

Annual inspections cost $300-400 approx. They are not free

8. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

50 years!?
    What kind of barrier system is this?
    I just got one done on one of my IP's - its guaranteed for 8 years. No yearly inspection required.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The 50 year one would usually be something like Kordon. Their website says 'lifetime warranty' - but only if failure is through termites 'going through' the barrier.

Is your treatment a reticulated or spray barrier system? And have you read the fine print?

10. hash_investor

Honestly, I haven't read it. The barrier is trithor. Previous owner installed it and never got the termites inspection done hence the warranty lapsed. The property is OK for now but I want to get the warranty back. The inspector says I will get the warranty because property is fine so far.

11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I can see the importance of regular inspections in high risk scenarios.

My theory is that the "Warranty" is effectively worth nothing. Does anyone know of any purchaser ever successfully claiming under this "Warranty"?

12. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

I had my Brisbane property chemically treated and the pest controllers used Termidor. I signed up to their $2m warranty which, to my understanding, will cover any structural damage caused by termites as long as I have my yearly inspections.