Termite inspection

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Robbo03, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have built a duplex in the Brisbane suburb of Dakabin which was completed in March. I have recently been contacted by my property manager who let me know that she recieved a letter from a pest control company stating, 'during the construction of your home, the builder appointed us to install a termite management system', and that the 'product warranty is subject to annual termite inspection being carried out' at a cost of $515!

Is this standard in QLD due to the climate??? We don't have this is Tassie!

Should I go ahead with it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Termimesh quoted $185 to me a few days back but then they also say their product does not need inspections or further treatments so I didn't bother

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sounds like a stitch-up to me Tom, prob hoping new owners don't do any homework.

I'd contact a few local (to the property) suppliers and get them to let you know what's required/costs etc

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Check you paper work, I'm far from an expert but I think Termimesh only needs an inspection after something like 10 years? Any way a normal termite inspection in Brisbane is under 200 dollars. Sounds like a rip off to me.

5. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

When I finished construction of an IP, the builder included the termite companies details and warranty paperwork in the Handover Pack. They attend the property once a year at a price of $150, plus $70 for a top-up every few years on the chemicals. $515 seems over the top, but as Hugh72 mentioned, check your paperwork.

6. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for all of you help!

7. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi guys, sorry to bump this old thread up. A property of mine is about to settle in Logan and I was quoted 2K for installing Termidor chemical barrier with 8 years warranty, subject to annual soil top ups. It's quite an expense to me so I'm wondering whether this is a worthwhile exercise? And is this a reasonable price? From posts above Termimesh could be a cheaper alternative?

Cheers,
    D

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The inspection for termimesh is cheap. Do you have termimesh?

You need to have installed termimesh in the first instance to have it inspected.

Termimesh is best installed during construction and cannot be retrofitted without removing major sections of brickwork right around the house.

9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

In Brissy, you can get annual termites inspection around 200 dollars. Even though you have termimesh, it is still better to have a chemical barrier as double security. I have seen a termites damaged house where the people can hear the wood is dropping when banging the bedroom gyprock wall. The sales contract has crashed multiple times due to this.

10. David Shih

Oh OK sorry for being ignorant then - guess Termimesh is out of the picture for me as the dwelling has been standing since the 70s! Certainly don't want to knock it down now :)
    That's probably why they suggested Termidor chemical barrier instead.

Thanks for sharing the info. So I guess for SE QLD it's a worthwhile exercise.
    Question then comes down to whether the cost of $2000 to apply once-off Termidor chemical barrier with 8 years warranty is an acceptable quote. Has anyone done this previously? How much did you spent on this?

Cheers,
    D

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've used Wayne Creed of Rifle Pest Management for years (and the man who taught him the ropes for many more years before Wayne took over). He knows his stuff, won't rip you off and is a nice man as well. He won't suggest expensive fixes just to make money.

0412 489 710

trinity168 and David Shih like this.
  12. David Shih

Thanks Wylie I'll contact Wayne to see what he can offer.

Cheers,
    D

13. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Hi LeMU,
    The termidor chemical barrier contains Fipronil as its active ingredient. Fipronil will allow the termites to breach the barrier for a short period of time but they will pick the chemical up on their bodies and return to the colony. Grooming,consumption of faeces and cannibalisation will result in the spreading of the chemical resulting in the destruction of that and any other local colonies that come into contact with it.
    I have recently seen a quote for a 4x2 in Perth at $1350 inclusive.
    A chemical barrier containing Bifenthrin is a far cheaper option. This kills on contact but seldom affects the colony who will continue to forage,attacking timber around your property and explore avenues to penetrate your barrier.
    As per the Australian standards,annual inspections should still be completed to ensure that the barrier has remained effective. These are normally around the $200 mark.
    You may be offered a warranty of up to ten years provided these inspections are completed.
    Termimesh does not kill termites but is an extremely effective barrier which forces termites out into the open where they may easily be detected.A termimesh barrier should be effective for many decades and if you have annual inspections the standard 10 year warranty will normally be extended by a year for each inspection completed.
    All warranties will normally cover rectification costs of any damage caused by termites penetrating the respective barrier,however you must adhere to the details by not allowing the barriers to be breached by human activity.

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@mush
    Sounds like you know a bit about this, is it possible for someone without a license to buy Fipronil or similar, or a product containing it so it can be applied to termites whenever found such as under something in the yard etc.

Sometimes it might be just a few hitchhikers from a load of firewood, but would rather hit them just to be sure.

15. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Yes WestOz,I believe that chemicals containing fipronil and dusting products, which would probably be ideal for what you want,may be purchased from places such as epestsupplies.com.au.

16. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

I had my house recently treated with Termidor for similar price. Is it worth it? Having a timber home in Brisbane with no termite protection is stupidity in my opinion. Termites are active and within range of almost all houses in Brisbane.

David Shih and mush like this.
  17. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/121600452414?

Can get it for $335 for 2.5lt

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Surefire...as-Termidor-/261866440384?hash=item3cf874c6c0

1lt for $199

How to

We just did a whole house for $600 and the effort.

Cheers