Termite infested and damaged Queenslander in traditional character overlay

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Paws of Fury, 14th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

Hi,

Just arrange to have some damaged asbestos removed from our workers cottage and the asbestos boys found live termites in the walls that had to be removed (as they needed to properly clean up for the asbestos clearance certificate).

We were going to make it our PPOR and tidy it up but have found out now :
    1. All the stumps eaten by termites and need restumping. Acrow props holding the house up.
    2. Termite activity in the rear and side wall framing and even the hardwood rafters overhead.
    3. The roofing and gutters are gone and need replacing.
    4. Some of the flooring is termite and borer damaged and disintegrating.
    5. Weatherboards along the side have termite workings and have disintegrated.

The builder thinks its going to cost a lot to save it and might be better to get a demo approval based on being structurally unsound. The house is in Traditional building character overlay and is LMR zoned 3km from CBD. There is a newish townhouse development next door and plenty on the street. Visually, the house presents well and does not "appear" structurally unsound because of a new paint job and new kitchen installed 7 yrs ago.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with this for a demo approval or recommend someone who could help? I'm absolutely clueless. Thanks :)

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi Paws

My town planning firm can do a demo approval for you. You would need to get a structural engineer, preferably one that a court recognises to do a report saying it was structurally unsound.

If you send pm me some photos I am happy to give you more of an opinion before you go to engaging engineer.

3. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

Fabulous@rpi :D Just sent a pm (or I think I did :p) and will send the pictures soon.

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It sounds like removing the termite damage is going to result in rebuilding the house from scratch, one piece at a time. They have to really want to get into hardwood too so that makes it even more shocking!

Without having more information, sounds like the knock-down-rebuild option is looking really good right now.

@RPI's advice looks spot on to me- good luck!