termite guard maintenance fee?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by RogerP, 20th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

We just bought a property and I just got a message from my property manager. Apparently the original owners installed a termite barrier when the house was constructed in 2011.

The termite barrier comes with a 50 year warranty but it needs a $200 inspection every year.

Anyway, they want me to pay an annual $200 fee to keep the warranty.

My question is - is this just a sales thing or is it important to get this inspected? Would a new house really have termites?

I have a house I live in nearby and as far as I know, there's no termite barrier installed. This is in Canberra.

2. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

Termites aren't a huge problem in Canberra in my experience, however, termite protection is just a peace of mind thing really. For $200 per year I would continue the annual treatment, termite barriers are almost like insurance policies in my mind and part of preventative maintenance like gutter cleaning :).

Propertunity likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the barrier is there and you have a warranty by paying for a $200 inspection every year, then I'd pay it gladly.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Assuming the warranty was actually worth anything.

However, is there was past termite damage then may be a sensible. I

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Even if the warranty isn't worth anything, it is a good idea to check houses annually. Why not pay the company who is offering the warranty?

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What does the warranty actually get you ?
    Full repairs of damage caused, or repair of the barrier (if it fails) :rolleyes:

$200 is good peace of mind :D
    Read the fine print, please ;)

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I would get it done, but I would ask to accompany the bloke when he does the inspection to see how thorough it is. I bet sometimes they just do a quick walk around the perimeter and take a few photos and jump back in their car.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Our home has a similar warranty and the strict condition is annual inspection maintains a full warranty. In the event of termite detection the warranty covers treatment AND construction damage. Mine is maintained by Flick. (Granitegard)

If you miss an inspection then the warranty ceases but can be reinstated I believe. We had a neighbour many doors down who mocked the "scam" when they moved in. Never had inspections and commented each time other neighbours had the vehicles there to do inspections (estate by a developer with same builder)...About 4 years back they had a termite issue and regretted their choice...Told me it cost them $28K to have work done.

The guys who do ours use (moisture?) meters and visual / thermal imaging incl in the roof cavity and all areas internal and external. It takes 30-45mins for our 2 level house.

Note - They often try to upsell a general pest spray at same time but its not much more (ie extra $150)

Warranty is extensive
    http://granitgard.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Granitgard-Marketing-Warranty-Package.pdf

The barrier itself doesnt "fail".Termites may bypass it. They make a big deal about trees or garden beds etc as this is a common pathway as underground is obstructed by the granite barrier. We had to remove a number of Azalea bushes which were touching the house

Stoffo likes this.