Termite control

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 16th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

My investment property is situated where there are a lot of trees (hills area). I'm thinking of getting some termite control done.

But there are so many kinds and I don't really understand which I should go for. The expense is quite huge and it needs some maintenance regularly.

I was told my options are just to put baits around the house (which is the cheaper approach but still $$$) or create a termite barrier which is double the cost. Both requires maintenance twice a year costing and additional $550 odd a year. I just assume that the latter is more effective but not sure by how much. I had termites checked before and there was no activity at that time. Anyone able to give their opinion on this?

Also are annual inspections without the termite control adequate?

Can anyone recommend someone that does this in NSW, hills area.

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2020
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I use Flick (Hills area) and they are quite good and diligent and reschedule annual follow ups well. (We have a granite barrier). I'm sure they can offer some suggestions.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Cost of a barrier will vary depending on what type of property it is and the ground.
    Barriers are ok, right up until someone leans a garden stake against the house.....
    Monitoring stations are also ok, unless the buggers just go between them !
    Even with either system conducting regular checks is a must.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. Petaurus

Petaurus Member

I have an IP on a slab that got termites. Had a barrier installed but the termites still returned although pest controller treated the infestation free of charge. I think the key to beating them is diligence ideally as a combination from yourselves/ tenants and regular inspections.

5. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Yearly? I have rentals I’ve only ever had the initial pest report done on... I should get onto that

Stoffo likes this.