Termite control product should be applied before or after self levelling compound?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jat, 30th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm building underneath a higthset in QLD. The concrete slab is unlevel and also has different joints in several parts.

I need to apply self leveling in order to leave the floor smooth to install floor on top of it.
    The concreter will use this product across the whole area to leave the floor smooth, and will be a layer of a few mm on top of the current concrete.
    Kaisel Ki 1 is the self leveling compound and Okapox GF is the epoxy primer

I also need a pest control to provide form 16 for the certifier. The termite control company said it's required to apply a termite product on the current concrete joints.

The question is, should the termite control product be applied before the self-levelling compound is done or after? (maybe after it's not even required at all). The concreter says there is no point in applying termite product before the self-leveling because the compound is stronger than the concrete and will cover everything anyway. (pictures below showing the product).
    Also he has to do some grinding of the existing concrete so any product which the termite guy will put on top, will be gone after this.

The termite guy is doubting now and checking if the concreter product will prevent termites to go through or not.

Any one has any thought if the pest control should be done before or after the self levelling?

Thanks in advance!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the termite guy drill umpteen 10mm dia holes in the slab and apply the chemical at the required rate? Holes can then be filled, patched and levelled.

This is what they'd do anywhere else that they can't get under the slab.

3. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

In that case it could be done at any time, is that right?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you want holes all around your new floor finish?

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What does the pest guy have to say ? I would argue their view is better than the view of anyone on PC

6. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

I just spoke with the termite guy and he said it should be safe if the self levelling compound covers all the joints. he will inspect afterwards to check if there is any need for anything else. I think it sounds fair at this stage.

7. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

I see your point. I talked to the termite guy and said there is no need for doing the wholes to inject the poison there.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia